JooL

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • At:University of New South Wales

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:22 AM

Hi,

i would like to know if bamboo plywood can be bended like other plywoods? Or is there any other methods you guys know that is able to bend bamboo plywood? like in 3D?

I need help in this area as i am planning to use bamboo plywood for my project and is unsure about this matter. i cant find any furniture made from bamboo plywood that can be bended in 2D or 3D?

Hope you guys can help.

JooL

#2 Guest_cplicious_*

Guest_cplicious_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:03 AM

You can't bend plywood too far with out it breaking or reforming back where it came from. Most curved plywood furniture is made in a press tool where individual laminates and bonded together and pressed at very high pressure. As each layer is very thin it can bent very easily to form complex shapes. Once the glue is set it will retain its shape. It is then removed from the tool and trimmed to shape.

The same would apply to bamboo but no idea if you can source individual laminates.

#3 JooL

JooL

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

So there is no way for me to glue or use the existing ready made bamboo panels are steam bend it to bend it into the desired shape i want? as it is already glued together with many panels.

if bamboo cant be used, any suggestions for another wood that is sustainable and high-end? i am planning to use teak. is teak able to to be made into ply and then steam bended?

i am using these material for a chair design i am doing and i need the materials for prototying or i will be using some other material or RP.

Thanks.

#4 Guest_superbad_*

Guest_superbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

I don't think bending full thickness bamboo panels would work too well. Unlike wood plywood, it's made up of lots of individual strands, and lots of adhesive to hold them together. I think the whole thing would blow apart under bending. Worth a try I guess. I've never seen really thin bamboo ply, but that would probably work better because you could laminate it. Best would be to just mold the individual strands, the same way they make the panels. If you're dead set on using the standard panels, you could also use kerf cut bends if your design will allow it.

#5 Guest_kaiza_*

Guest_kaiza_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:16 AM

does anyone have a good site on bamboo ply? ive never heard of it. bamboo is quite flexible though, so i dont see why you couldnt bend it...

#6 JooL

JooL

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

I think it is difficult is because ply made from bamboo is only available in small pieces and they have to be joined and glued together to form a sheet. And because they have to be glued together, it makes it hard or impossible to bend or steam bend it.

To do so, you will ahve to do it in every individual pieces, and that will be very labour- intensive. i feel, what you guys think?

Cheers.

#7 Guest_key_*

Guest_key_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:55 AM

im pretty sure you can get long planks of bamboo, theirs this one place near philadelphia, usa that makes bamboo fly fishing rods they also have planks do a google search. Not sure in where to get them in your country, but im pretty sure theirs going ot alot of bamboo resources in asia. You should see the stuff they do with bamboo in the philippians, in the country side everyone is like a bamboo master craftman.

cutting them up and making them in a jig is probably not going to be worth the time. I would just make it out of aircraft plywood or something easy to work with and then glue a nice bamboo veneer.

#8 Guest_cooperkid_*

Guest_cooperkid_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

have you come across bendywood?

not sure if this will help you, pretty amazing stuff! check out this link below.

bendywood

#9 JooL

JooL

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Yup thanks cooperkid. i did some research on bendywood for my project but it was not right for my project. Anyway i didnt use bamboo plywood in the end. i used ash plywood and walnut.

Thanks everyone for your help.

;)

#10 Guest_kronos_*

Guest_kronos_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:51 PM

if you want to bend bamboo, then put it into warm water, so it gets comfy. then you have to take your time and find out how much you can stretch it. hev fun...yo cooperkid: @#$@#$ing nice site!

#11 Guest_DevrajJoshi_*

Guest_DevrajJoshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:01 AM

my old tech teacher bent a piece of plywood by steaming it. he had a plastic tube thing with a hole in the bottom which fitted onto a kettle. The wood was in the tube - the wood was steamed and then he bent it over a metal former and clamped it all in place. It worked quite well. I dont know if bamboo wd react in the same way though... Failing that take it with you to the local spa and sit with it in the steamsoom/sauna for a bit :)

#12 Turbofrog

Turbofrog

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

I've only bent wood for furniture using layers of veneers and bending ply, but I'm pretty sure I've seen bamboo veneers, if that's sufficient for you. It might be more prone to cracking than other woods, sure, but if you design within the limits using generous radii, you can definitely use it for the style aspect.

#13 Modular Builders

Modular Builders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

This is also same as other plywoods, but firstly you must treat it in a steam box and stretch in a bend devise and bend it using your bending requirement. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: