Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jenkkoo

Alcohol Markers

Guest jenkkoo

Which brand of alcohol markers are better the Chartpak or Prismacolor?

Guest 阿cat (ahcat86)

not sure what you mean by BETTER

but there are other brands such as Tria and Copic

they are refillable

Guest P3NGU1N

lol, chartpak markers will freaking kill you. i'm not saying they're not good but the smell is quite toxic =P. personally i prefer tria and copic because they're refillable. for the cost of the marker you can refill it multiple times.

Guest kowalski

I'm assuming by better, what is meant is color control. I have used all the major marker brands in drawing for my classes and have found the Tria and Copics to be the better brands for their refillable feature and their color control. I have only had an issue with the greys being interpreted differently between those brands. As far as the Chartpak markers are concerned, they are not alcohol at all, but Xylene. Xylene is toxic as your nose can very well tell you. It will also yellow copy paper and other non-acid free papers over time. Try putting some down on copy paper and placing another sheet over top and leaving them together for a time. Xylene will also melt or dissolve some plastice surfaces and will not be friendly to Prismacolor pencil. I use the Chartpaks when I have need for value to go down on a ball point pen sketch. Ball point pen is oil-based and will smear and dissolve when alcohol markers (i.e. Copic or Tria or Prismacolor) are used. You can side step this problem when all you have is alcohol markers by doing a quick sketch in a value one or two cool grey and then going over it with ballpoint or just using a pen that will not react with alcohol to begin with. The other thing about Chartpaks that make them interesting is that they are very wet when new. If you need them to bleed, then this is a good thing, but they can be hard to control. When they get dry is when they are at their most useful. You can really rub in the value and begin light no matter how hard you use the marker. Gradients are very easy to get this way. I hold on to all my old Chartpaks for this very reason.

As far as which ones to invest in, I would suggest a good set of the Cool Greys in both the Tria and Copics along with their respective refills. Then start looking for what color sets you might need given your marker sketching needs. I have a decent number of Copic and Tria markers for different tasks. They do just fine. You probably would not need refills for the colors unless you find that you are using some more than others. At that point you might only need to replace one or two markers occasionally. But keep a supply of refills for your lighter greys as most sketching and thumbnails can be and is done with those. I went through my value 1 cool grey refill alone for my Copics in five weeks.

I would not invest in Prismacolors unless you plan to buy stock in the company. the color is good but the markers are not refillable and they go dry very quickly. A friend of mine bought three sets of Cool greys in one semester.

In short, do your research and choose wisely as most places will not take returns on markers.

I am assuming what is meant by better is color control. Tria and Copics certainly have the upper hand here.

Chartpaks are Xylene, not alcohol and will not dissolve ball-point pen lines like alcohol markers will. Conversely, if you have a nice sketch in Prismacolor pencil that you want to add value to very quickly, do not use the Chartpak. Not only will you ruin a good sketch but you'll be at the art store the next day buying a new Charpak marker to replace the one that got all gummed up with melted wax pencil.

Copics and Trias are the best in my opinion. Prismas are not refillable and they tend to have a very short service life. Their color is not bad though. I have a few for some quick sketches, but I do not use them for the more involved stuff where I need reliability and longevity.

the long and short of it is...

Copic, Tria and Prisma=Alcohol based-melts ballpoint pen lines, have better color control, more expensive.

Chartpak=Xylene-cheaper, poor color control, melts prisma pencil and some plastic surfaces (use a backing pad before drawing with these on your nice desk)

Guest kowalski

sorry about that last post.

it looks like i posted twice in the same reply. By accident i did but only because i thought things got lost in cyberspace when my WiFi dropped out. sorry to sound repetitive.