Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pablo

Yuan&Fang

Guest pablo

This is referred to China Ming`s furniture. I want let classicality and modern combined to make a new.

post-4-1097550133.jpg

Guest molested_cow

So what is the relationship between these 2 chairs? How does the circular design interact with the square one?

Guest desagree

@molested cow: I can see a lot of things they have in common:

same concept, same formal language, same structure, same material, same dimensions. :huh:

@pablo: I think you should focus on developing your own "freeforms". geometrical shapes like sphere, cylinder or cube don`t need to be designed any more.

in real life they are sth. like "emergency exits" or "safe concepts" if you don`t know what else to do . But since you are young and supposed to have lots of new ideas, you should`nt use this basic shapes.

How can a balance (ying-yang) be expressed without quoting it? try f.e. to think of weight of color. a little surface can be as prominent ( =balanced) as a big one, if it has the right color, material, transparency...

nice renderings

Guest littlecog

Desagree,

I er...disagree. I think the square chair has a timeless simplicity that is neither modern or classical but somehow more than both of these things. I believe a well excecuted simple form still has the power to inspire. I don't think it is nescessary for us as designers to be constantly re-inventing the wheel. Sometimes a more beautiful wheel will do.

Pablo,

There is a symetry and discipline to the chair that I find very refereshing however I would find a way to get rid of the extra support/brace that sits underneath the seat. This detracts from the purity of the form. The round chair isn't really doing it for me.

Guest desagree

@littlecog: you are right. but let me explain what i mean with a little example:

all cars look great in black, so your consequence would be not to think of new colors then? To me it`s not about reinventing wheels but about developing them. sth. like evolution. if a chair was a chair, we could have stopped 2000 years ago designing them and could still sit on a stone. the same is true for basic geometrical shapes. the are (were, and will be) always right. and timeless. and whatever. but they are definitely not new. It`s difficult for me to explain this in english but i hope you get my point...

Guest pablo

so,I think so,although i just understand a few your discusstion meaning.thanks for all!

it not disengage from classical Ming`s furniture,and not modern too.so I think this`s a failing works.I hope my works could more and more combine classical and modern`s style.

Guest molested_cow

This piece has got nothing to do with Yin and Yang.

Yuan refers to circular

Fang, or rather Fang, refers to square.

The concept comes from the shape of Chinese coin of a square void in a circular piece. The square shape comes from chinese traditional culture. Many elements are square, including the chinese character for "water well" and "farm". Most chinese architecture layout is based on the concept of square.

The round comes from the sky/heaven. The sky is perceived to be round.

Now, these 2 designs were derived from one concept.... no, I should say from the separated parts of one concept. So to me, I don't see the revelance between these 2 designs. Let's put it this way, putting the 2 chairs in the same frame, what do you see in common other than the material?

If you say "simplicity", then what's the significance if I design a simple looking triangular chair with the same material?

I hope you understand what I mean. He split up a concept into 2 and took each to a different direction, which to me, has lost the meaning of Feng and Yuan. Feng and Yuan is supposed to represent the concept of "the world as one". I don't see any of that in these 2 chairs.

I am looking the 2 pieces as one, not as individual designs. So that is my problem with the design.

I am a Chinese and I know my culture. I hope this doesn't offend any of you but I laugh at people who like to get t-shirts with random arrangement of Chinese characters and think they are cool. Chinese language doesn't exist as one single character unlike most western languages. You need a correct combination of characters to form a meaning. Thus in this case, I can't see these 2 furturnitures separately simply because I know the concept they came from was one.