Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 阿cat (ahcat86)

[[ 阿cat (ahcat86's) Wip Thread ]]

Guest 阿cat (ahcat86)

5/5/06

Mood: Inspired

Dear PDF (Product Design Forums),

This is my first entry to the contest, I will take a diary type approach for this project.

Let me first introduce myself: I'm current preparing my portflio for my undergrad study in product design. I love vintage anime (currently watching the original Cyber Formula GPX)... brings back the memories heh... The reason I'd like to win this design challenge is so I can own a legit version of painter.

So basically I've read the design brief, it's very difficult topic. Usually it is easier for me if i am given a very specific objective. so here is the brief: Design a product range within the category of domestic cleaning products that consists of 2 or more products of your own choice. The target group is free to choose. The idea is that you make a set of products that you can sell together in one kit. Feel free to create more than 2 products, but keep in mind that they should somehow belong together.

My first reaction was to take a look at other people's work and I really liked the carrot brush btw. When I think of cleaning, I think of vaccums, windex, brooms & pans, brushes, wipes -- so I'll try to stay away from those categories.

For this weekend I just want to think about various problems people encounter when they clean and how I can use that as my premise. Thanks for reading.

阿cat (ahcat86)

Guest 阿cat (ahcat86)

thanks renzsu! i wont let you down ;)

5/7/06

Mood: Excited

Dear PDF (Product Design Forums),

Today I started my research related to domestic cleaning products.

came across some sites that got me thinking

(http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/uba-info-presse-e/pressearchiv/p3500e.htm) basically says that antibacterial domestic cleaning products not necessary - Federal authorities deem cleaning with customary products sufficient for hygiene purposes. Also, the use of these products damages the environment unnecessarily and entails health risks.

(http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=12568)

basically says that domestic solvents and cleaning products may increase childhood asthma risk

(http://www.greenchoices.org/cleaning.html#shopping)

This site talks about cleaner product and alternative cleaning products

ok cool so if I try to keep away from those solvents and products, not only will the design be enviornmentally friendly, but also children friendly :) The cleaning product would use simple solutions of water and soap/detergent that would already exist in the home. It'll be affordable and more accessible. yay!

next i looked at homemade recipes for cleaning solutions

at first I looked at something that's related to indoor cleaning that would be for the kids. just a fun product that kids can use to help out with household chores. however, i came across this site that has homemade solutions for outdoor cleaning

what caught my attention was this

Automotive Cleaners and Care:

Windshield Wiper Frost Free Fluid

Mix 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and coat the car windows with this solution. This vinegar and water combination will keep windshields ice and frost-free.

Car Soap

1/4 cup vegetable oil based liquid soap, and hot water. Mix in pail. Wash your car on the lawn instead of your driveway to reduce runoff to the street or storm sewer.

So this is my starting point----->

As an attempt to make chores fun, I will design car-wash toys targeted for gradeschool children. Most likely, it will be some sort of water gun type toy that will use homemade cleaning solutions mixed by the parents. The children blast away at the car first with soap then with water :) I dont know about you guys, but I've always liked to shoot stuff when i was little.

That's it for now, I'll start sketching soon

I'll close with this clip (my inspiration for this toy XD)

阿cat (ahcat86)

Interesting starting point ;) I'm looking forward to see how you can really clean a car with the blaster and having fun (score/point system?) at the same time.

Guest 阿cat (ahcat86)

5/7/06

Mood: Excited

Dear PDF ,

i gave the original water gun idea some thought... really couldnt ummm... i dont know. it sucked. i feel retarded. so im gonna ditch that idea.

so right now i just spent a little time to come up with another idea that's still related to my original concept of homemade cleaning solutions.

basically it's like a squirt gadget (someone please tell me what it's called) that has a screw on measuring cup on top. the idea is that all the homemade solutions say like "1 part this 1 part that 2 part this bleh bleh) so this measuring cup would make it easier to just pour the fluid in (the bottom of the cup can be sealed or released). oh by the way since the goal of homemade solution is trying to be enviornmentally friendly, why not just go all the way. so the container that screws on o the squirt gadget (again please tell me what it's really called) would be a used coke bottle. the thread is universal so it's good... u can attach a lot of different sizes and brands of bottle and it'll still fit. w00t.

design5iz.jpg

the target group are all the enviornmental friendly and also low income people that cant afford brand name mr clean products.

anyways that's 1 product. i didnt sketch out the 2nd product but basically this 1st one is manual squirting action. the 2nd one could use the same measuring cup concept but u screw it on a gardening hose and u can clean ur car or something. so basically 1 is manual portable good for small jobs. and the other product is automatic (just run the water) mega blasting action . hope u guys like it.

thanks for reading!

阿cat (ahcat86)

ps please leave a fast reply and tell me what u think (from technique to design)... :) thanks i appreciate it

btw on the sketched i used pen and marker.

Guest rage

sounds interesting, but i think you should ensure yourself that the bottle won't be too heavy for your system... coke is a good cleaner anyway ! according to me DIY cleaning solution is the right way to engage on. actually i clean things with vinegar that's sweet...

It looks like a 'bottle sprayer'. I like the idea of screwing a branded bottle on your product. I would say, get some side pictures of different branded bottles and draw your product over it for a nice presentation.

Just to want to be sure...one advantage of your product is that users don't need to screw off the sprayer from the bottle, instead they can easily remove the top cap to poor cleaning solutions in, right?

Just a thought, how about one bottle that contains the cleaning liquid and another bottle that contains hot water that helps cleaning certain surfaces? The second bottle should then be heat resistance. Just an idea inspired from my own cleaning experiences.