Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest shane

Wip Entry

Guest shane

Ok. count me in. :)

sorry in advance for the length of the post. i know text is boring and sketches are interesting...

Premise:

A simple & safe cleaning solution for technology products (desktop PC's, laptops, Hifi's, printers...pretty much anything that runs on electricity).

Current Thinking:

The product would contain 3 stages/solutions. All contained in an aerosol/compressed state.

1: Compressed air could be used as a replacement for a handy vac/USB powered vacuum cleaner. It could blast away dust and surface dirt without risking damage to delicate equipment. If powerful enough I think it could be a much simpler solution than a vac, and would be dirt (pardon the pun) cheap. Obviously this would be for keyboards, CPU’s and other hard to clean electrical places.

Attachments/various nozzles could be integrated for different applications, like brush attachments, flexible hoses, 90° attachments etc. (obviously limited by the power of the accelerant. i'll have to look into it)

2: Aerosol glass cleaner, for monitors, LCD’s etc.

3: Aerosol surface cleaner (mild) for general surfaces. (tablet surface work surface etc.)

These would be contained within a base-station to keep everything tidy.

(a dry micro fiber cloth or sponge would be in the base station as well for use with the liquid cleaners.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 3 main ways of integrating this as I immediately see it.

3 parts all integrated into the 1 aerosol canister, with 3 individual triggers.

Pros:

Simple and tidy.

Cons:

Parts still need to be separated so that when 1 solution runs out they don’t all need replacing.

Possible user confusion, accidentally spraying the wrong solution.

3 completely separate aerosols with 1 trigger that can be transferred from 1 can to another.

Pros:

Easy replacement of individual cans.

Cons:

Shared trigger would require user cleaning with the air canister to clear the nozzle of previous canister (like clearing the nozzle of an airbrush.)

3 separate aerosols with 3 separate triggers.

Pros:

Eliminated previous problems

Cons:

Boring untidy/ non integrated solution.

I’ll probably approach this with the premise that the air canister/section is refillable (local gas station or whatever) , and the other 2 are disposable.

Target group:

Techno savvy hyper geeks. (subject to refinement)

Inspiration:

From trying to render out artifacts in a concept only to discover the artifact is a piece of unidentified crud on my monitor….

Hopefully some sketches will sort all this thinking out. In the meantime i look forward to reading any comments, opinions, flames, booze fuelled rants. etc

oh yeah, and if anyone has one of these sitting next to them don't hold out on me...

~Shane

Welcome to the design challenge Shane! Interesting initial thoughts you have.

I was immediately thinking of my cleaning tools for my computer devices. Unfortunately there is no base where I can put or clean them :(

The brocolli fiber cloth pad is for cleaning my lcd display and the carrot brush is for cleaning my keyboard.

Well, just to let you know what I'm using :)

Guest shane

i'm trying to see the connection between a vegetable and a cleaning cloth, but i'm struggling.

yet.... somehow i want them....

maybe you could keep them in a jacket potato?

Guest shane

dawns another day. some progress made...

discovered the idea of compressed air in an aerosol as a cleaning agent is very unoriginal. hurah!

some quick thumbs.

looking at incorporating the trigger and base station into the one unit, so individual canisters can be changed when need be. these sketches are based on the idea of the 1 nozzle. (haven't solved the clearing/cleaning of the nozzle with these ideas.

i'll also have to look into what shapes can be used to store the compressed/aerosol stuff. hopefully i can do something other than a sphere or cylinder...

styling ideas thus far are few, just trying to make it look not so disposable as a regular spray can.

Today's inspiration:

Mimmiking the way a rocket stores different fuels in different stages around a central body, and sheds them individually when they're spent.

Guest -CS-

interesting idea. very nice shape of the aerosol, very unique. good luck

Hi.

Your lines are great.

I mostly like the way you shade in and out of the product.

Which drawing program are you using?

Do you know if there's any way of making this kind of line in Sketchbook pro?

Thanks alot and good luck on the challenge.

Lior

Guest shane

Hi Liori. thanx. i used photoshop for that one, but you could just as easily do it in sketchbook. i haven't used that program in a bit, but from memory i just use a fine airbrush for linework. but there's plenty of other ways of doing it. Renszu's tut of a minivan covers it. in the end all the sketching programs work pretty much the same for this sort of stuff. i just use photoshop 'cause i can set up hot keys and the touch strip to brush size to save time. where as in sketchbook you have to use those little control windows which i find a bit annoying.