Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobMay

My Wip...

Guest RobMay

As a graduate still looking for work I think this competition is an excellent idea and gives me something to do!

I haven't got anything to show as yet, but this will come along in due course. I won't bore you with my design process just yet, as it tends to repeat itself at certain intervals.

All I need now is a good idea for some domestic cleaning products! Nice subject by the way, not too taxing but plenty of scope for innovation and I expect we'll be seeing some very interesting designs.

Stay Tuned...

Guest S_Kindler

hi RobMay, welcome to the design challenge.

The competition gets harder... :)

Guest RobMay

Hi again everyone. Sorry for taking so long to update my progress, been sorting out job interviews.

Ok so back to the issue at hand, domestic cleaning products. I am just about to progress onto the sketching phase of my design work having spent the past week brainstorming possible ideas and grilling my mum about her views on domestic cleaning!!

I now have a couple of ideas that I am going to develop and these are:

1. The Oven Bomb / Bath Bomb:

This came about after a conversation with my mum about the difficulties of cleaning ovens and the 1st thing that jumped into my head was a grenade (not literally, thankfully)!! Hence the "Bomb" in the title. I felt this could also be adopted in the bathroom. I will go into more details as the design progresses.

2. Modular Window Cleaning:

A modular system for window cleaning that uses one handle and detachable heads - inspired by the gillette mach 3 razor cartridges.

3. CD Cleaning:

This one came to me today as i am getting sick of trying to clean DVDs with a cloth and having to put up with my fingers being in the way!! More details to follow.

Please keep visiting my WIP and I welcome any advice and/or feedback that you feel you would like to offer.

Cheers

Guest RobMay

After finally getting a good few hours to sketch I have come up with a couple of ideas for the oven bomb concept. I feel feedback is very important so if you want to give some please do.

Idea 1:

The idea behind this design is that it utilises the heat produced by the oven which causes a reaction in the cleaning fluid/foam. The top areas expand until eventually they pop spraying the cleaning fluid/foam all over the inside of the oven.

Idea 2:

Similar to the previous design this too uses the ovens heat to work. In this idea the build up of pressure causes the top section to spin while at the same time spraying the cleaning fluid/foam all over the oven. May also incorporate a magnetic base so it can be placed anywhere in the oven.

More to follow...

Idea 3:

This idea incorporates a "plunger" which, when pressed, causes 2 reactive cleaning fluids to mix and expand eventually exploding all over the inside of the oven.

more to follow...

Guest RobMay

Idea 4:

Both of these designs work in a similar way to the previous design, however, instead of a plunger these are twisted to mix the cleaining fluid. They are then placed in the oven and the internal pressure grows until the cleaning fluid is sprayed all over the inside of the oven.

I should be posting my sketch work for my other 2 product ideas by friday at the latest.

I do have a question: If I design a modular product will its different attachments be regarded as seperate/related designs? Just need to clarify this to make sure my window cleaning designs will be within the brief for this competition.

Yeah, I think if you will make some different attachments for different cleaning areas we are ok with that :)

Some interesting concepts, but I wonder if they could work in reality?

Also, using the heat of the oven in theory might be nice, but I wonder what will happen with the cleaning material if you heat it up like that, will it cake to the metal and burn or will it actually clean?

Will the oven keep burning once the bomb has exploded, or would you have to sit next to it and turn it off once it goes?

Questions, questions ;)