Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dmjones

Ideation Sketches In Digital Media

Digital ideation sketching  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer paper or digital media for ideation sketching?

• Manual sketching
    • Digital sketching

Guest Dmjones

Hi I have been doing some study lately and alot of researchers say that digital media isnt really working for ideation and conceptualization sketching activities. I have however seen some stuff on this forum that suggests otherwise. I myself have used digital media for ideation 'doodling' and its worked for me. This example was done in Alias sketchbook Pro with a tablet and was done for 'ruggedising' a electronic product. The other one was done using Artrage and a tablet for a helmet design I was working on.

What do you do to ideate? Fill in the poll and explain why you prefer manual or digial media below.

post-2576-1146643331.jpgpost-2576-1146642909.jpg

Guest MONK

I voted manual for the reason of flexibility. when i'm sketching i physically need to move the paper around and get the feel of what I'm drawing. I enjoy using a wacom but the transfer from hand to screen is never as accurate (for me) as biro and paper. Nice sketches btw - you obviously don't have that problem!

Guest Bbarn

I enjoy doing my ideation sketches digitally as well. A great advantage for me is that there is no need to scan in my sketches afterward. I like to keep a digital copy of my work, now i do not need to waste time touching up the scans as far as contrast and brightness etc.

Another great advantage is that after my ideation stage is complete, i can just cut and paste my favorite thumbnails and place them all together, it makes consolidation a quick an easy step, at that point i can show my favorite sketches to my boss or co workers to spark a conversation without going in with a stack of papers that might have 1 or two ideas that i want to explain on a page full of sketches/doodles.

i prefer manual sketching myself. it just feels better - the tactile feeling of pen and paper. it is hard to explain why, i guess i am a bit old school because that is how i do it 75% of the time. manual is also more portable and more spontanious. i.e. drawing a idea on a napkin at a pub. if you mess something up on paper - the mistake can end in new ideas or outlook on the project - no control z to give it another try.

i am not saying one is right or wrong, better or worse - but this is my passion and preference.

hello! i didn't realize this was a link from the article i posted - glad to stir things up and the comments about the article i posted are great! thanks!

reminds me of an old saying "you cannot polish a turd" i.e. a poor sketch cannot become a great sketch in ps.

For ideation, I'd say manual. But there would definitely be a benefit if you have a tablet pc. If I had one of those, I'd do client work on that to save time scanning in 50 pages of sketches (since I can't afford to pay an intern to do it, lol). If the client will never see the thumbnail sketches, I'd stick with paper. I think there is too much of a disconnect with a regular wacom for it to completely replace paper for quick ideation sketches or you have a big learning curve with lots of hours to log in just to learn to do it that way. Much faster to draw right on paper or, (if you have one) on the screen with a cintiq or tabletpc.

Guest Dmjones

Hey I really appreciate all your feedback and input on this topic.

We live in an age that has only just hatched - where there has become digital gear that is capable of providing an option for ideation sketch work. I asked the question because I'm getting the idea that it all comes down to personal preference on where and how we like to draw, but I had very few digital-designer opinions with which to guage the current climate. Its almost like digial drawing is in a similar basket to "x" type of paper preferences or "y" kind of pencils / markers. Its seems to have become an option for personal preference on enjoyment (like Bbarn says), but with a few other time saving advantages like scanning etc (skinny) and disadvantages of non portability and limited working /display area.

The bottom line for all this stuff is that it should deliver high quality DESIGN out the other end. Digial or manual - who cares - they both have adv. and disadvantages but critical features are enjoyment, creative output, and efficient design processes that are inherent in any design ideation media being critiqued.

Who knows what software and drawing interface hardware will exist in 5 or 10 years that may significantly change the preference field.

On anther note, I gotta say I love that quote "you cant polish a turd" - thats gold thanks Halocooter!

You should ask some of your mates to Vote and comment!

Guest ScottieB

hey Dmjones, hope the research is going well!

I've done a few jobs lately where I've chosen to do all ideation digital. Some part when I was on a 'role' was good and could easily print and use for other parts of project. But I did find it hard to control when not having an idea of what i was drawing. I think it's coming down to practice. Doing hand drawings still feels better at the moment for many ideas. But will change with over time :) So i'll vote Digital

Guest Dmjones

Thanks ScottyB, yeah the work is going well, progressing on, its forcing me to reading alot more which is good - but it means Im not doing as much digital drawing as I would like just at the moment. Appreciate your input. Your latest posts of those mouses are really good - particularly the second one. I'll post a page of mine I did a while back. Appreciate you input ScottyB

I was thinking further about this topic, comparing digital experiences with manual. When ideation sketching digitally I feel in a way isolated from the actual drawing, being forced to experience the drawing through a piece of glass (monitor). Further to this if any one has ever used a cintiq tablet you may have found, like I did, the 'trapped beind glass' experience combined with two other things. When you put your head / eyes up real close to a manual sketch you get more info from the page, little ink splatters, grainyness etc. On Cinitiq you put your head close and you get DOTS! _ less information! The other thing is you've got your arm over a big part of the screen/ software interface that was (usually) designed for mouse control. Anyone else's experience?

It is not doubt alot of fun to play with and can be really powerfull for direct rendering especially if you havent learned to the handeye coordination needed when using normal digitising tablet.

Mouse sketches were done not really for any sort of design reason - as I remember this was all about employing some interesing colours I had seen used elsewhere. The other thing I was experimenting with was the use of combined perspective and contour arrow lines that carry over the shape highlighting the feel and direction of the drawing. Got this idea of someone who does it really well in that Design sketching book. (www.designsketching.com) Enjoy.post-2576-1146893620.jpg

Guest Peedub

Dmjones

I'm just about to write an essay (and later a dissertation) on the same topic - could you pm me? I'd like to know more about what you've found.

Thanks

Guest blueprint

I voted for manual sketching too...

The reason is that, besides being quite new to digital sketching, I always need a manual line drawing which I scan into photoshop.

My conclusion: No digital sketching without manual work>>manual sketching, on the other hand, doesn`t essentially lead into computer stuff.

Maybe that`s only a hardware problem of mine, I guess things would be quite different if I could afford a wacom cintiq.

Anyway, in my opinion, once something exists on good old paper, scanning the stuff and playing around can expand your possibilities. Digital certainly makes sense at a stage where one used to make highly detailed marker and pastel renderings...

Guest Dmjones

Thanks Blueprint. Do you only use photoshop? Have you had a go at ideation sketching in Sketchbook, Artrage? My personal preference is to never use photoshop for ideation, the other packages are far simpler on interface and deliver way better lines for sketching. I havent had much to do with painter so I cant really compare with that one.

Interesting what you say about markers - do you (or anyone else) think theyll ever become obsolete?

Guest Dmjones

Great Porro I look forward to getting a read of that. Do you know of any other digital equipment comparisons around this topic?