Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest IDTkid

50 Sketches!

Guest IDTkid

The first picture is a sampling of sketches I did for a hydrodynamic form a few months back. I got comments saying that they were a bit scattered and clustered so for my lastest project I tried to keep my thumbnails spaced and not too crazy, any suggestion?

Oh and the 2nd and 3rd pictures are of sketches for a tool to remove the strip of foamcore after a dado is made in order to slip a 2nd piece of foamcore in at a 90 degree angle.

Thanks in advance

DSCN4597.jpg

DSC05762.jpg

DSC05760.jpg

As I mentioned in your other thread, I'd look at some other peoples techniques and try to learn from them.

If you're just doing a sketch for yourself to try and understand something, then its not as much of an issue. But overall I'd try and get the sketches to be more dynamic. Work on your line weight, try to throw in some perspectives with section lines to help show to forms better, really just try to get your drawings to jump off the page.

One technique that I've always been given positive comments about is when you're working on something and doing a bunch of ideation, try drawing either arrows or some kind of connection to show how your progress went. For portfolios its a great way to show processes and how you got to an idea.

knooooooo, please try to come up with something a bit more constructive, replies like these don't help anyone ;)

Guest hiDESIGN

I agree with CyberDemon yet again, lineweights, perspective, and construction lines. All of these things will make work look 10 times better. These 3 things are pretty much a main point of EVERYBODYS' design style, and then added to to make it their own.

However, as for the neatness on the page, you have to do whatever feels good to you. If you have a few sketches overlapping and such, it's not a big deal. Sketches shouldn't go off the page, but if you're in first round thumbnailing and ideation, don't get too tight with your layout. It only hinders, and you've got other things to be thinking about at that time.

Attached here is an example. This is not my work, it is the work of a talented student from Cincinatti. But it's a prefect exmple of what i'm talking about. It looks passionate and dirty, just how ideation sketches should look.

hiDESIGN

post-5530-1146783358.jpg