Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest IDTkid

1st Photoshop Rendering

Guest IDTkid

For my "beginner product design class" (1st of 3 classes titled product design) we are to design a product used to remove the strip of foamcore after a dado cut is made in order to put the 2nd piece of foamcore in the slot at a 90 degree angle. Make sense? if not dont worry about, im just asking for a critique on my rendering.

This is my first try at rendering in PS. I first drew the outline in Illustrator then using different selection tools and paintbrushes I messed around with colors, highlights and shadows til I came up with this rendering. Hows it look? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

xacto.jpg

For your first rendering I would say it looks pretty good.

The form of the body could use a bit more definition it seems. The tops and side seem to be shaded the same color. Also trying to get a smooth gradation on the shadows/highlight could better represent the actual form. Try experimenting with the dodge/burn tool.

Make your signature a bit more discreet. I would try to just initial and date your work somewhere a little more hidden like underneath the handle inside that red box.

The other thing I'll say is look around this forum at some other peoples sketches and renderings and see what makes them work well. Typically some of the best renderings are the ones that are the most dynamic. A static drawing tends to look a bit dull and boring. Experiment with trying some loose methods of shading, changing line weights, etc.