Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilippeV8

(5kg) Scale Re-design

Guest PhilippeV8

Hi folks,

Please have a look at this page with imagery and pictures of my project.

http://users.skynet.be/plipke/schaal.html

As you can see the end result will be rather plane and straight. But I can always add to the outside shape if I would want to. I'll have to work on a handle for the drawer etc.

Any ideas how I can make this look more Starck-like ?

Guest A-train

The key with Starck design is that he is starting from a shape that suits the function, not the good old; function determins style. So, if the objective is make a Starck scale, start with taking as much stark images and hang them all over your room. then look for the essence. I dont think you can make something and half way make it look like a Starck. sorry.

If it was me, the interface was not protruding but integrated in the shape. Make the shape warm or cold looking, not plane. with warm or cold I mean: warm shapes are slightly organic but within the basic shape. cold shapes are more straight, hard edges and points. (I hope I make sence) look at his stuff and I think you will get it. Also the materials will add to that feel. I am not preaching the design gospel but just trying to help you.

Veel geluk

Adriaan

Guest PhilippeV8

Well there were some problems. I had some basic ideas from the start but I fond them unpossible to create as prototypes. I have limited materials and limited skills and limited budget.

Either way, Starck has such a wide gamma of products and styles I think, which makes it very hard to pinpoint his specific characteristics. In the past he had very organic shapes but more recent he's become more with tight set lines... as you say more colder shapes perhaps. And most of their design style characteristics come from the materials used. (at least that's how I interprete his current works)

Guest Design Chick

nice work... but im afraid i argee with a train. theres something lacking on your design... its not "starky enough" its a little too plain. it serves a function nicely... but phelippe has always paid close attention to form. keep up the good work.

Guest kaiza

i had to do a similar assignment, designing a clock like starck - but i simply stated i was going with his erarlier forms and making it organic, which is in many ways much more distinctive than his later geometric forms.

however there are a number of stylistic points you should take from his later designs - he pasy a lot of attention to the smaller details, like parting lines. he also carries the geometric theme across the entire product, with geometric buttons and geometric lcd fonts, etc.

Guest A-train

Yo Kaiza, do you have any pics of that, I would like to see the difference.

A.

Guest kaiza

lol, todays your lucky day - i think this is the first work ive posted up here.

if you want details on the model just ask...

images taken on my camera, adjusted in ps to fix noise and lighting.

starck%20tribute%20clock%2004.jpg

starck%20tribute%20clock%2006.jpg

starck%20tribute%20clock%2005.jpg

starck%20tribute%20clock%2002.jpg

Guest PhilippeV8

This is a render of the final result. The real prototype looks very much the same as this render.

render_04.jpg

Hope you like ...