Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Modigliani

Digital Sketching - TabletPC vs Wacom

Guest MacPhail

Sheeesh...I didn't even come close to answering your question.

Looking at the two, I would go with the Gateway. Larger screen and has 128 Mb of dedicated RAM for video. That's alot better than the Toshiba with the integrated video card. I do prefer Toshiba as a machine though but if you plan on doing 3d work, you are going to need some horsepower for video.

Another option is to go to the Dell Outlet and pick up a serious refurbished machine like a Precision M6300 or a Latitude D830 and then take the extra coin you save and pick up the 12wx Cintiq. Just food for thought.

Hope that helps.

P

Honestly, I haven't tried a good Tablet PC since the Toshiba Tecra M7. The integrated video cards just don't cut for me. If you can get one that doesn't share your PC's memory, you'll enjoy it much more. I use a Cintiq 21 at work and love it but it weighs a ton. I picked up the 12wx for home. It's light and I can sit with it in my lap and draw away. But it's not portable. At least they simplified the cables a bit.

One of the things I have been thinking of picking up is a Nintendo DS. There is a very cool drawing app that you can pick up for free for it that works well for little thumbnails. Fun and inexpensive.

Chow.

P

I think nintendo DS is less powerful than laptop, so if laptop "doesn't cut it" for you I doubt nintendo DS will. The Graphics are like on my phone.

BTW correct me if I'm wrong but rendering 3d scenes is done with CPU not your video card.

Guest Thijs schipper

I'm also on the lookout for a good graphics tablet, and so far I'm hesitating between a cintiq 12, or an intuos3 a4 or a3.

Any experiences which has the most responsiveness?

And which would be best for drawing for industrial design?

I'm used to drawing on A3 paper, so it would probably be odd to use the 12 inch:S

One of the reasons I want to make the step up from my old cheap tablet is that it has a sort of built-in half a second delay, which makes it very annoying to use...

Any ideas?

That said, I think a tabletPC would probably be okay for general purpose sketching. I've used a couple owned by friends, and I didn't really get that 'cheap touchscreen' feel. On the other hand, it also didn't have the accuracy and touch that you'd except from a good wacom.

ANother downside might be that when you get a good wacom, you can use it for a long time, whereas the tabletPC would need replacement as soon as the hardware in it becomes too old for newer software. For the wacom you'd just upgrade the PC it's plugged into, and voilà.

Guest sonnyhw

hello guys,

by the way,anyone on this forum already try Wacom tablet 17 DTU-710 SXGA ?

can this stuff is used for sketching (uisng i.e photoshop or sketchbook pro) ?

my dreams is having cintiq..but i think little bit expensive for me....so i need your suggestion.

thanks a lots.

tablet pc is hands down the way to go ... I use it everyday and I'm able to run solidworks 2009, alias sketchbook, and photoshop cs4. Pretty well does everything I need it to

its a Toshiba Satellite R20, 14.1" screen, 4GB RAM, and the pen sensitivity is as good as any wacom I've ever used (have not tried the cintique though)

what you want to look at though is the new Fujitsu's Lifebook TH700 ... looks pretty good! Wish it had a 14" screen though

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce...do?series=TH700

There are many more options than just simply Wacom branded products and toshiba.

You might want to look at Slate PC's as well.

Youtube or Google Motion Computing Le1600 or Le1700, its expensive when bought new but is very affordable if bought used on ebay.

Google: Slate PC

Guest Robb63

I second the vote for the Motion Computing slate's I just got a used LE1700 on eBay with the extra keyboard, RAM upgrade for $900. It is very cool. I had tried a tablet PC before this and couldn't get along with it. This is the closest to my Cintiq I've tried.

It does only have a 12" screen though, so it isn't completely the same as a 21" Cintiq, but it's probably close to the 12"

I get nearly 3hrs battery life out of it when I'm sketching in Sketchbook Pro

Guest lokilabs
I second the vote for the Motion Computing slate's I just got a used LE1700 on eBay with the extra keyboard, RAM upgrade for $900. It is very cool. I had tried a tablet PC before this and couldn't get along with it. This is the closest to my Cintiq I've tried.

It does only have a 12" screen though, so it isn't completely the same as a 21" Cintiq, but it's probably close to the 12"

I get nearly 3hrs battery life out of it when I'm sketching in Sketchbook Pro

Does it have touch sensitivity like the wacom's?

Guest Rafael
hello guys,

by the way,anyone on this forum already try Wacom tablet 17 DTU-710 SXGA ?

can this stuff is used for sketching (uisng i.e photoshop or sketchbook pro) ?

my dreams is having cintiq..but i think little bit expensive for me....so i need your suggestion.

thanks a lots.

Hi,

Many illustrators/visualisers use the 720 it: I tried it and it worked like a charm. I think its half the sensitivity of a cintiq and it has a glass screen, but its definitely a good option!

good luck!

Rafael

Honestly, I haven't tried a good Tablet PC since the Toshiba Tecra M7. The integrated video cards just don't cut for me. If you can get one that doesn't share your PC's memory, you'll enjoy it much more. I use a Cintiq 21 at work and love it but it weighs a ton. I picked up the 12wx for home. It's light and I can sit with it in my lap and draw away. But it's not portable. At least they simplified the cables a bit.

One of the things I have been thinking of picking up is a Nintendo DS. There is a very cool drawing app that you can pick up for free for it that works well for little thumbnails. Fun and inexpensive.

Chow.

P

hei,guys do you design the pc?