Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Modigliani

Digital Sketching - TabletPC vs Wacom

Guest Modigliani

Hello All,

Just thought I'd pick everyones mind on the topic of digital sketching. I have used a Wacom Intuos tablet for a while but I am now thinking about getting a new Tablet PC and was wondering if anyone has used both tools and had a preference.

Please tell me all your Pros and Cons on either the Tablet PC and or Wacom tablets with a notebook.

Thanks,

M

Guest Zampik

What about wacom cintiq 18SX - very strong tool. I tryed some sketchers on it and I definetely wanted....but I have to wait........money..

Guest Simonsays

Wacom Cintiq 18" is the coolest digital tool that I have ever seen.

Basically it functions as your sketchbook, notepad that you can co-op

with many graphic softwares.

I just recieved it few weeks ago, and I can give you my honest review.

The price is still overpriced for what it is.

The monitor piece can be detachable to put on your lab and draw, but

it is too heavy to handle.

When the monitor is detached, the cable on the back still bothers me.

But you can adjust the angles to make it almost flat without the detachment.

Another bad thing about Cintiq 18 is..the monitor doesn't stand up in 90 degree

angle. It is about 80 degree and kind of bothers my vision.

Cintiq Partner is just another wacom tablet. Not really a great combo for the cintiq. Or perhaps I still need to find out about its true function.

The good parts of the cintiq is, that you can draw and draw. Just save the file and

turn them into CD or DVD with your pc, so you can review your own works easy and fast. It can be a good organizing tool for your stuff.

Photoshop, Painter, Alias are all very good with cintiq. You can click on the icons as you are pointing with your finger. The feeling of the pen on the monitor is better than I thought. Almost as Pencil on Marker paper or Velum.

A normal tablet pc is a lot different from a cintiq though... I think it is important to know the differences in sensitivity and resolution of a tablet pc in comparison with a cintiq. A tablet pc is a full portable pc/monitor/touchscreen combination, and a cintiq is a monitor/tablet combination (so no pc).

Just to clarify.

Guest riaz

I have a tablet pc (the Hp TC1100) and a wacom tablet as well... And pretty much its like this... The wacom is supposed to have a lot more touch sensitivity... and you can get a lot more subtle effects with it... But with the tabletpc I can see what I am drawing right where I am drawing... And the that too has a wacom digitizer and as far as I can tell the touch sensitivity isn't all that noticible. I've been thinking about selling the wacome and just using the wacom which I end up using most of the time anyways. The wacom is a huge 9x12... and you might think (as I did when I got it) that would be good. But its just too big annoying to take out. ... it's really just gathering dust.

On other note I saw Scot Robertson talk at the IDSA conference in Pasadena and he gave a tutorial on photoshop and using tablets to render products (oh and he was promoting gnomon and his new concept art 2 book). Its really gotten me excited about using the tablet again.

Guest retrokitsch

hello

I have a wacom graphire :P

I tried a cintiq at the Paris motor show, and that's amazing!!! the software was autostudio, I didnt know it, but I saw there was a good sensivity of the pen and we can put it on the lap.

Here is a photo of a designer sketching on it:

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/6178/cintiq.jpg

I would choose a TabletPC because that's more practical.

Guest sammy

I really enjoy my cintiq, but it's far from portable...

I'm looking into tablet PC's so I can use one on the road and out'n about ... it would be nice to sketch from life out there.

The kind of sketching we all do is nothing so hardware-intensivve that you couldn't do on a tablet PC.

anyone using a tabletPC have any problems going past 300 dpi?

Guest optimistic

I've been doing a ton of research on Tablet PCs and have found that, no matter what, you'll be making some kind of a tradeoff - especially if you plan to use it for 3D modeling, etc.

I was leaning heavily toward the Motion Computing m1400, but the screen resolution just isn't high enough - menus in PhotoShop are HUGE and unwieldy (mind you, I'm used to a 21" desktop monitor). The only tablet pc currently on the market with a high-res screen AND that sports and nVidia video card is the Toshiba m200 (or m205 - same thing). I was playing with one last night at Micro Center and using SketchBook Pro and loving it - it's a really sweet tool.

The only issues I saw with it are screen glare (will get an AG writeshield for anti-glare and protection) and viewing angles, which are a problem with almost any other laptop screen. Any tablet pc with 180 degree viewing angles or an indoor/outdoor screen is lower resolution than the m200 and usually has a crappy video card - not good for using Flamingo or whatever you render 3D in.

There's still not a perfect solution out there for us ID pros, but I'm sure it will come in time. I'm still on the fence about getting the m200 but most likely will... good deals ordering from Toshiba direct... but still expensive...

No matter what tablet I get, I'm still going to use it in conjunction with my desktop...

Guest DreaM

hey guys, well i'm planning to buy a wacom tablet tomorrow...but i'm still thinking about which one to buy ... well i will either buy:

wacom graphire 3 Studio XL

or

intuos 3

the size is a5 but the thing is that i am not sure if the prise diference is worth it ?

of course intros should be better but has anyone experienced both and can tell me if there is a significant difference ?

well that one is a bit urgent guys i need your opinion ...

thanx in advance :lol:

Haven't got any experience with the graphires, I only know that I really like my intuos (2).. I'm not sure if you really notice the difference in pressure levels, for me it's much more interesting if the tracking is ok and if the pressure function is at least working like it should. Well in that regard you have nothing to worry about, Wacom is great quality.

Guest eco id

Does anyone have any updates on this topic? The last post was on Dec 4th 2004.

I'm thinking about purchasing an Wacom Cintiq, but on the other hand I'm also considering a TabletPC because of the Tablet's mobility. The software programs I plan on using the on TabletPC are Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop, and Illustrator, I'd also like to utilize some 3d software like Rhino and Solidworks. Does anyone here use a TabletPC like the Gateway C-142XL or Toshiba Portege M700 for both 2d and 3d?

Gateway C-142XL

Toshiba M700

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Guest MacPhail

Honestly, I haven't tried a good Tablet PC since the Toshiba Tecra M7. The integrated video cards just don't cut for me. If you can get one that doesn't share your PC's memory, you'll enjoy it much more. I use a Cintiq 21 at work and love it but it weighs a ton. I picked up the 12wx for home. It's light and I can sit with it in my lap and draw away. But it's not portable. At least they simplified the cables a bit.

One of the things I have been thinking of picking up is a Nintendo DS. There is a very cool drawing app that you can pick up for free for it that works well for little thumbnails. Fun and inexpensive.

Chow.

P