Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nate

Maxwell Render 1.0 Release

Guest w i l l

I think that the Solidworks plugin is going to be improved a lot for version 1... I think its the worst plugin of the lot. Sell your extra license on Ebay (joke).

My name on there is will (god I'm inventive), although I havent made any useful comments as I'm a complete beginner and have been strangely getting into Photoworks and making it do some decent stuff. My next post will be trying to understand how the architects are applying realistic trees to their scenes.

Guest Namssorg

I found Maxwell to be super super slow-- granted it's not quite finished/optimized yet, but if they can get that ironed out it would be a great renderer for product type shots.

Guest superbad

It's definitely slow. That's why I'm considering an 8 CPU mini renderfarm- that would make it about as fast as Photoworks.

Guest w i l l

depends on the quality though. I have rendered for hours on Photoworks too.

Guest superbad

Tell me about it. I'm doing a PW room render right now that I started at 8:30am. It's about 80% finished now at 4:30pm. I can't imagine what it would be with Maxwell.

Guest w i l l

So has Maxwell 1.0 been released today then?... or did they overshoot the mark again?

So has Maxwell 1.0 been released today then?... or did they overshoot the mark again?

Heh, not yet... it'll probably get uploaded at 1 am, april 27th..

Guest superbad

Supposedly some people are able to download it now. Not me of course.

EDIT: Got the download email not 5 minutes after posting. :) I'll issue a report in a couple days after I get a chance to use it.

Guest superbad

Been running it some this morning. It's buggy (stupid, sloppy bugs mostly). This is really a beta release. The images look great, but the company's project management is pretty dire.

Playing with it now as well, as superbad said, it's pretty much still in beta/rc stage from what I gather from the maxwell forum.

I expect there will be updates soon, some of the shader presets are just wrong, they need fixing to the new material system. There are serious problems with cooperative rendering as well.

Interesting software nonetheless.

Guest w i l l

Renzsu/Dutch (mullet wearing) Designer, I understand what you meant about multilights now... its the emixer tool. There are quite a few options to change whilst rendering... its really useful.

Not sure about mxcl.exe though. I was assuming that you could type in a command to change settings, but when I try and type a command the software shuts down. I have to do start>run>type 'cmd'>enter>type 'mxcl -d' to get the render options panel.