Sign in to follow this  
Guest nate

Maxwell Render 1.0 Release

Guest nate

comes out 26th :(

watch the video - it's so amazing

those lighting set ups are .... :(

thought it would never come out

"Next Limits today announces Maxwell Render 1.0 Release on 26th April.Maxwell is a new render engine based on the physics of real light. Its algorithms and equations reproduce the behavior of light in a completely accurate way. All of the elements in Maxwell, such as light emitters, material shaders, cameras etc., are entirely based on physically accurate models.Maxwell Render sells as a standalone product available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Maxwell Render includes a set of plugins for the most common 3D applications"

http://www.nextlimit.com/

post-1893-1144486068.jpg

Guest lufrbasketch

So, with this version 1.0 do you know if I will be able to render it using Pro Engineer files? I cant find any information about that on their website.

Guest lufrbasketch

Ye, definately. The one thing that I found with pro engineer is that it really needs its rendering engine to be better , then it would be more comfortable with it as a complete package. Its such a shame its default renderer lets itself down.

Does anyone know if there is a solution to transfer work from pro engineer to solidworks for it to be rendered in maxwell via a STL,STEP or any other outputed format?

As long as you can export to IGES or STL you should be able to import your ProE model into another package and render just fine.

Pro E, NX, etc are made by engineers for engineers, and the last thing an engineer cares about is cool appearance renderings.

I'm excited about the real version being released, but I'm still very skeptical. I had looked at the last release candidate and it was so buggy and missing features from what I could tell it seemed like they were much farther off then they were actually saying. But I'll remain optimistic.

Guest nate

yeah i have read some bad stuff about maxwell on cg society.

lets hope where wrong - looks very promising

Guest IvanRD

I would try Parasolid, Step and IGES files to get files into Solidworks from ProE (In that order).

I am new to all this.

How would Maxwell change Solidworks rendering output?

Is it an add-on within SW? or a stand alone package that you go in once you have constructed the model in SW?

For those people who use 3D apps that don't get the plugin treatment, you can use Maxwell Studio to import your models and setup lights and shaders in Studio.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this release, the multilight feature is looking promising, it'll probably turn out to be a major time saver for scene setup. Just put a bunch of lights in your scene, hit render and adjust intensity as you go or afterwards.

I just hope it will really hit its releasedate this time, it's been failing deadlines for about a year now...

Guest w i l l

Yeh I hope they meet this deadline, although I'm not too bothered anyway. I'm using RC5. I had problems with Maxwell to start with... I just assumed you could save from Solidworks as an STL and open the STL in Studio. This crashes the software though. Now I have to use the plugin... set things up there and save as an .mxs to open in Studio. This will be corrected for version 1.0 though.

Renzsu I think the idea with Maxwell is that you use natural daylight to light your scene to give more realistic renders. Interestingly...if you look on the Maxwell forum someone has modelled real photography lights and then turned the bulbs into emitters (you can download them to use in your scenes)... therefore its as if you have real cameras to use in your scene not just a light from a point generated by the software.

Another thing i've found is that the render times dont need to be as long as some people make out. A lot of the time you can get a decent render after an hour.

Renzsu I think the idea with Maxwell is that you use natural daylight to light your scene to give more realistic renders. Interestingly...if you look on the Maxwell forum someone has modelled real photography lights and then turned the bulbs into emitters (you can download them to use in your scenes)... therefore its as if you have real cameras to use in your scene not just a light from a point generated by the software.

Another thing i've found is that the render times dont need to be as long as some people make out. A lot of the time you can get a decent render after an hour.

What's your forum username there? Mine is dutch_designer :D I know you can use any object as an emitter, but it's good to keep polycounts low on emitters to prevent unnecessarily long rendertimes.

I didn't bother messing with those spotlights, the polycounts were way too intense for some simple tests :)

What I meant with the multilight comment is that it allows you to place a variety of emitters in your scene, no need to set them at the right intensity since you can adjust that afterwards (if you render to .mxi) and this allows you to basically create a whole bunch of different images of different lighting setups from the same single .mxi image. It's incredible really how easy this will make things in terms of time spent getting the render to look right (changing emitter materials, testrendering, readjusting, testrendering, etc. etc.... this now becomes almost a thing of the past!)

Well...thing of a past provided everything goes according to plans. Maxwells features on paper are almost unbelievable. I'm pretty confident that once the kinks get worked out it'll really change the way we look at rendering workflows.

Guest superbad

I bought a seat of Maxwell on a whim a few weeks ago, but so far I've only used it for a single test render (which looked incredible). I haven't figured out an easy way to get textures onto parts using the SW plugin, and I don't really want to export all my models to Studio and do all my texturing there. I render a lot of wood, so almost everything has a texture. Hope to have a chance to use it later this month. I thought it was a nice gesture to give everyone an extra license too, except I don't have enough computers to make use of it. Maybe I'll put together a cheap renderfarm or something.