Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest yeddeync

Gnomon DVD sketching and rendering tutorials

Thanks Renzsu, I will decide and than I'll buy one or two of them...

About Painter: I had Painter 7 and now I trying 8 and I hate it, work there is so slow and user interface hasn't similar structure in comparison with 7..

What version are you using ???? which one you recommend, I guess the 7 is much much better than new one.

Hm, if you use Alias for digital work, maybe the Ryan Church dvd's are not as usefull.

Ryan Church has the brushes that he uses on the dvd online on his website, so you can use them with painter 6.1

I still use 6.1.. I heard bad things about painter 8, so I am not using it.. hopefully the new painter 9 will be better again (they say it will be the fastest painter yet).

"The Techniques of Scott Robertson

Industrial Design Rendering - Bicycle

On this DVD Scott walks you through the industrial design rendering techniques that he employs within Adobe Photoshop®. He quickly demonstrates draft view sketching before scanning one of the sketches that will be rendered to a photo-real level. During the rendering of a bicycle, Scott discusses basic lighting and reflection strategies to indicate a variety of materials and colors. Watch along, and by the end of the DVD, you will see all of steps taken in Photoshop® to transform the initial loose sketch into a very real looking object."

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/gallery/robertson.html

Guest husseindesign

Yes!!

finally a coloring DVD by Scott Robertson! I already have Harald Belkers and it was awsome! Scotts will definately by a hit, cant wait!

BTW Renze,I think you need to update you signature lol

Yes!!

finally a coloring DVD by Scott Robertson! I already have Harald Belkers and it was awsome! Scotts will definately by a hit, cant wait!

BTW Renze,I think you need to update you signature lol

Hmm, very true.. out with the old, in with the.. errr.. I'll find something to put there some other time.

And yeah, that dvd tutorial is pretty cool, but he already shows a lot of that bicycle rendering stuff on drawthrough.com, so I wonder what will be new.

Though not product design related, those Iain McCaig dvd's look fingerlicking good. I'm really interested in those. Drawing characters and monsters so nicely is a skill I'm highly jealous of ;)

Guest Mikedesign

Looks great!!

Scotts enviroment dvd sounds very interessting! I will definately buy a few!

I would like to take the oppurtunity to say thank you to Alex Alvarez and the crew at Gnomon for their huge contribution the concept design community, for making the learning process so much easier and som much funnier!

Regards

Mikael

Oh yes certainly, I'm pretty confident the concept design field has gone and gotten a lot more attention because of this big load of concept dvd's they've released over the last year or so.

Guest rodanx86

Of course, I am a fan of all those guys at Gnome, but I don't have that kinda cash. Is it really worth the investment?

well, you're a proficient sketcher as it is, but it never hurts to learn a couple new tricks. The bike dvd was an eye opener to me in the way that there were quite a bit of photoshop tricks in there that can speed up your process, but also some workflow tips on how to get things done faster. I'd just try 1 of the more popular dvd's.. if you don't like it, they're easily sellable over ebay or through forums like cgtalk/conceptart.org.

The dvd's by Feng Zhu, Ryan Church and Scott Robertson are the best I think. For product designers I think their values are excellent. Far less than what you'd pay for lessons. Downside is that you don't get feedback, but they're detailed enough to be worth watching a few times over to pickup stuff you might've overlooked.

Guest Ro881e

These dvd's sound great, and i really want to try a couple out, However, i live in the UK, and have u seen the cost of international shipping!!! Its twice the price of the dvd, and im a poor student. Does anyone know of a shop in the uk which sells them, or something similar? Cheers!

Robbie

Guest Ro881e

Its pretty good of them to offer us students a discount, but 10% off $97.50 for one dvd is still far too much. A dvd in the uk will cost £20 max, so £60 for one dvd seems a little overpriced.

There must be similar educational design dvd's available in the uk, if anyone knows of any that would be awesome!

Cheers.

Guest pinchseal

Hey, i see everyone talking about the gnomon dvds all the time. i just bought a couple, and i have to say they are a huge help when it comes to drawing instruction. The syd mead and harald belker dvds are great for learning how to render. Does anyone else know of any other good ones? also Check out ebay to save a bit on money on them.