Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest yeddeync

Gnomon DVD sketching and rendering tutorials

Guest yeddeync

Which Gnomon dvd do you recommend. They are rather expensive, so only looking for a few helpful ones. I am now learning about concept sketching, some rendering. Also try to learn how to use markers/pen/color pencils better. Any advice? Thanks

for rendering: Ryan Church: matte vehicles / shiny vehicles

- Ryan Church has the most extensive example of rendering vehicles here (which can be translated back into product rendering.. very helpfull)

for perspective: Scott Robertson: basic perspective / how to draw cars (for more advanced perspective)

- Schott shows in great detail how to go through construction of perspective.. best way to learn perspective imo.

for marker drawing: Feng Zhu: vehicle sketching

- Feng uses only grey markers here and explains as well how he uses them and what to look for when markering. Also perspective on this dvd.

I'd go for at least a dvd from Ryan Church (shiny vehicles), Scott (basic perspective) and Feng (vehicles). I think the dvd of Feng also has some extra's that help you with line quality and such.

You're a student so you can use academic pricing.

Guest Zampik

Hi,

where I can get it? this helpfull dvds, where I can buy 'cause in Czech republic aren't in markets things like that....so

I have no idea where I can get it

Guest Zampik

oh thanks renzsu, very helpfull link, I didn't even know that exist dvds like that..

Guest Zampik

Renzsu Do you recommed thouse DVDs? cause' I explore GNOMON site and I found really iteresting dvd I would buy everything my financial situation isn't so good.heh so Have you any experience with this DVD? I just wanna know if is really good to learn something means forexample if can teach me better skeatching skills and stuff like that....

thanks

Guest yeddeync

What about Feng Zhu Concept design 3: QUick Sketching...that sounds like it might help quick technique. Have you seen that?

Renzsu Do you recommed thouse DVDs? cause' I explore GNOMON site and I found really iteresting dvd I would buy everything my financial situation isn't so good.heh so Have you any  experience with this DVD? I just wanna know if is really good to learn something means forexample if can teach me better skeatching skills and stuff like that....

thanks

I can really recommend most of these dvd's, yes. They are really high quality and you will see an artist work all the way from the first line to the last detail.

The environment dvd's are nice, but not really as interesting to designers as the other dvd's I think (perhaps a different story for interior or architecture designers).

It really depends on what you want to learn though. Lemme know what you would be interested in, I could perhaps tell you which dvd would be cool.

What about Feng Zhu Concept design 3: QUick Sketching...that sounds like it might help quick technique. Have you seen that?

Yes it's a useful dvd, it shows some techniques for quick sketching, the robot is interesting because he uses perspective and markers/fineliners.

The creature and vehicle I found less interesting because the techniques used are not really as interesting as the techniques used in the first concept design dvd (the creature part of that dvd is very organic and uses only pencil, and the vehicle is done almost only with rulers and guides, and some quick markering.. but that kind of markering is already discussed in the first dvd, so that's why I recommend concept dvd 1 over concept dvd 3).

Guest Zampik

mainly I'm interested in product design sketching drawing and rendering but I would like to be better in other stuff as well like are cars atc....hehhe simply I would like to create my own style of sketching......bla bla bla :):)

What about Scott Robertson: basic perspective ? is it just for biginners or it's really good to owned it.....?

thanks

Guest yeddeync

In Ryan Churches shiny vehicles rendering.....what programs does he use? I have alias and why like to learn that.

yeddeync, he uses Painter 6.1

Zampik, the basic perspective dvd is cool as it handles all the basics and it has some nice tricks in it as well. I think it is a good dvd even for the pro's.

If you are mainly interested in sketching I can recommend both Feng Zhu and Scott Robertson. I think Feng Zhu's concept dvd 1 would be interesting for you. If you think you know the basics of perspective I can recommend the car dvd of Scott Robertson (although the aircraft and hovercraft dvd's are good as well). Just that the car dvd is probably the one with the most perspective construction.

Guest Zampik

Thanks Renzsu, I will decide and than I'll buy one or two of them...

About Painter: I had Painter 7 and now I trying 8 and I hate it, work there is so slow and user interface hasn't similar structure in comparison with 7..

What version are you using ???? which one you recommend, I guess the 7 is much much better than new one.

Guest Zampik

yeddeync thank you as well.

Are you using Alias sketch book pro 1 for sketches or built-in sketcher in Alias studio tools????

Are you using Alis ST for modeling???

Guest yeddeync

I really havnt used Alias that much yet, but i am pretty sure it is just the build in sketchbook. Not sure how good it is. But i dont have Painter which is why I am not sure if i should get Ryan Churches Dvd. hmmm.