Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Delinquent

Nvidia 6800 Issues With Sw06

Guest designer darrin

it should not make any difference, you could get someone to have a look via remote assistance if you like?

Guest hjb1000
As luck would have it there was a special offer on for one overclocked at factory supposedly running around the same mark as the 7800, so took it.

basically getting funny annomolies (sp?) on the screen - things going missing, lines disappearing, control points not showing up.

Ah, the curse of the geforce...

One of the big problems with gaming cards with Solidworks is that they don't have certified drivers that their Quadro counterparts have (although they usually work really well by all means).

This is what I would do:

1- Keep trying different Driver revisions older/newer until you find a stable one.

2- You said you have a factory-overclocked 6800 (GT I assume?)- if you are getting actual visual artifacts on the screen this could indicate that the card is not running properly (overclocked too much). Perhaps as a test, use RivaTuna to reduce the GPU/Memory speeds slightly. If this fixes the problem, return your 6800 as faulty and get a new one!

3- If you have a 6800GT AGP with an NV40 core (I'm assuming you do), you can actually softQuadro it to a Quadro FX 4000, which would offer considerable performance increases (much better certified driver, better stability, a couple of Quadro-only functions)

4- Post the other specs of your system. It could be that this problem is entirely not related to the graphics cards at all (ie underpowered PSU, unsufficient RAM etc)

Guest Delinquent

hjb1000 - thanks for that, to answer your points...

1 - tried all above and below the one that it came with, going back till it said "unsupported by hardware" etc - none made any difference

2 - I do indeed have a GT - I'm not getting artifacts appearing, just bits that should be there not appearing. I'll have a look into RivaTuna!

3 - 6800GT AGP yes, I *think* it has the NV40 core, will have to check when I'm back near the machine. I'm not sure what's involved in "softquadro"ing it, but I'm not the happiest person about modding cards and the like. Plugging them in and out fine, reading up and paying for them definitely, but depends what it will involve as to whether I'd attempt that!!

4 - Cant remember the PC stats, I'll check it out when I'm near it - RAM wise I know it's got 1GB of PC800 RDRam as I've only just stuck it in there!

Guest andyw

How do you find out which driver you have? My graphics card is a Nvidia GEFORCE 7900, but not sure what the driver is.

Also, i only bought this PC last week (from DELL), so wont it have the most recent driver on it?

How do you find out which driver you have? My graphics card is a Nvidia GEFORCE 7900, but not sure what the driver is.

Also, i only bought this PC last week (from DELL), so wont it have the most recent driver on it?

It most likely won't have the most recent driver, but realize you should only upgrade your video drivers if you are experiencing problems. The driver that comes with your Dell is most likely the most recent stable version of the driver they decided to use.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

According to that page the only limitation on the Geforce cards is "Limited number of accelerated windows. Amount of video memory determines the number. If 64M - 128M of memory, 3-12 accelerated full screen windows."

Since the 7900 is a 256mb card I don't see it having any issues. The only issue I seemed to notice on the newer cards had to do with Transparency Anti-Aliasing which might cause some issues. If you disable it in the Nvidia Control Panel it appears to work fine.

The Geforce cards are nearly identical to the Quadro cards in terms of hardware, you pay the premium for highly tested drivers and "guaranteed" compatability.

Guest andyw

Yeah the GEFORCE card is not a certified SolidWorks card. It works ok except for the occasional block that appears on the screen, a bit like a rectangle that has part of an old view in it. (some of you will probably know what i mean). The other problem is when i rotate, some components turn into blocks, especialy screws and nuts from the toolbox, this has happened many times before on other computers, even when working for a SolidWorks VAR, but i put that down to the cheap computers they bought, and the huge assemblies we had on them!!.

I have suppressed the componeets i dont need, and i am using the draft quality display mode.

The computer had 1Gb RAM (not sure if it it DDR2 or not, how would i check), but dont think adding another 1Gb would help, would it?

Another problem, although i guess not a big one, is that this card does not support realview graphics!

The DDR speed of your memory has no effect on anything. The only way to check is to look at your system specs and motherboard.

2 Gigs of ram will help if you're doing work with large assemblies. It may not help for smaller files, but if you're doing anything big it certainly couldn't hurt. And since a gig of ram can be had for under $75 nowadays it's a cheap upgrade.

post-4428-1149260018.jpg

Guest andyw

Since i bought the computer from dell and it has dell RAM in it, would it be best to buy the RAM from them? Also can you mix DDR and DDR2? say 1GB of each (as i dont know without taking the computer to bits what is in it now)

Updated the service pack to 5 on SolidWorks, and has made no difference to the issues mentioned earlier.

If you look on the Dell support site it should have that information available. Otherwise you can call and get the specs of your memory. You can't mix DDR and DDR2. They are physically different sizes. If your system is also you also need to make sure that you don't have one of the Dells that used RDRAM. Just a quick search indicates all of these use RDRAM:

Features: Compatible with: Dell Dimension 8100 1.3G,Dell Dimension 8100 1.4G,Dell Dimension 8100 1.5G,Dell Dimension 8200 (400MHz FSB),Dell Dimension 8200 (533MHz FSB),Dell OptiPlex GX200 800,Dell OptiPlex GX200 866,Dell OptiPlex GX200 933,Dell OptiPlex GX300 866,Dell OptiPlex GX300 933,Dell OptiPlex GX400,Dell Precision Workstation 220 1.0G,Dell Precision Workstation 220 933,Dell Precision Workstation 330,Dell Precision Workstation 340

Call Dell to find out, and then I personally buy all my hardware from Newegg.com

Also it sounds like the Solidworks issue (the one about parts turning to boxes) is just a bounding box feature that either is required to prevent the system from choking up, or is adjustable in the settings. I don't know enough about SW to be sure on that one, but I know 3DSmax does something similar. The other issue might be fixable with a driver or setting adjustment.

post-5887-1149276074.jpg

Guest andyw

Thanks for your help.

I have a Dimension 9150, so will find out ig it is DDr or DDR2 then probably buy it from where you suggested.

You have DDR2 then. Be aware you most likely need to have the memory installed in pairs, which means if right now you have 2x512 DIMMS, you'd most likely need to upgrade to 2x1GB modules.

Guest andyw

Ahh, i didn't know that. I do have 2X512mb in at the moment, but just thought i could put in an extra 1Gb. So I would need to get 2X1Gb then, still shouldn't be too expensive.

Who is the best manufacturer of DDR2 RAM?

would it be best to put in a single 2Gb, incase i want to upgrade to 4Gb in the future?

Chances are 2Gb should hold you off long enough. Chances are if you need more after that point you'd just be upgrading the whole system.

As far as brands, I usually try to avoid the nonames. Corsair and Mushkin are typically good and have their ValueRam series which is still quite affordable.