Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Delinquent

Nvidia 6800 Issues With Sw06

Guest Delinquent

so when the graphics card went pop in the PC a couple of weeks back, I looked back on here re the various suggestions and decided to go with the cheap(er) option and get a Nvidia 6800, as the PC doesn't really command or deserve anything better. As luck would have it there was a special offer on for one overclocked at factory supposedly running around the same mark as the 7800, so took it.

Only problem is, solidworks really doesn't seem to like it!!! @#$@#$ n blast it all etc etc

basically getting funny annomolies (sp?) on the screen - things going missing, lines disappearing, control points not showing up.

I've tried a couple of old drivers I have and the very latest, but all do the same thing.

Looking at the SW card references on t'internet it says it works, just with acceleration limited to 3-12 windows - well this is happening when there is just one assembly with 2 parts in, nothing else running or opening. The driver noted on the SW site is 6.14.10.7189 but I cant find it to download. Before I spend the entire night looking for it, is there anything else I should try?

Edited to add - before there was an old nvidia geforce4 in there, with less ram (and only rdram as opposed to rdram3 as on the new one) and it ran SW06 with little to no problems at all, just a little slow!!!

Many Thanks.

Guest Delinquent

Many Thanks Cyberdemon - this is probably going to sound really dense, but is it just the 71.89 one I need?! not sure what the rest of the numbers mean :)

Guest Delinquent

well I had major issues last night with the PC in general, so didn't get a chance to try it, spent the night playing usual fun and games rebuilding a hard drive, will try again with that driver tonight - hope it works as I've just started making some real progress with SW!

Bump:

Don't know if you're still experiencing issues or not. I just installed SW and I noticed I was having some graphic issues too. (Screen wouldn't refresh properly so when drawing objects it would draw the lines as I scaled the rectangle but not refresh them.

However I disabled a bunch of advanced features from the Nvidia driver menu and I seem to be in the clear now. If you're still having issues you might want to try that.

Guest A-Line

Curious how much RAM you're running?

Also, earlier versions of SW had problems if anti-virus was runnung during installation. Dunno if this could be an issue with you.

Also, the new Norton Internet Security can take as much as 20% or more of a computer's resources, its better to run the regular Norton AV if using CAD.

Just some thoughts...

thats pretty bad news. I've just ordered a PC with the 6800 card.

Will, plenty of people use the 6800 without issue, so you shouldn't worry about it too much. My problems cleared up as soon as I created a profile for SW. I believe it was the transparency anti-aliasing that was creating the problem. Seems to work great now and I didn't even rollback drivers. Granted I have a 7800GT but the issue should be driver/setting related, not hardware.

Guest Delinquent

Yes I'm still having major issues, so that could be a very handy tip - I tried rolling back the drivers to the one recommended on the SW site, only it isn't compatible with the new card! I've got further issues with the PC at the moment anyway but once I have those sorted I will have a play around and create some additional profiles, see if that helps at all, thanks Cyberdemon.

Nortons isn't installed on this machine (well actually I refuse to install Nortons on any machine at all, wouldn't wish that software on my worst enemy) so that shouldn't be a problem!

Guest w i l l

Delinquent, did you get the problem sorted out? I'm having a few problems too. When I do a render on screen the outlines/colours are really jagged and when dimensioning in a sketch the dimension values look ragged. Not sure if there's anything I can change in the Solidworks options for this.

Also, does anyone know where the option is to allow a dimension value to shrink in size as you zoom in, instead of staying the same size and appearing a lot bigger than the model when zoomed?

Guest Delinquent

Hi Will,

no, I've never got the problem sorted out, I've just "worked around" the issues so to speak - i.e. I now know when it's going to cause problems and just avoid them!!! Not ideal I know but as this is not my personal machine and I'm learning SW at the moment purely for a singular goal (to design my car) It's not something I'm prepared to spend any more time on - once this project is out the way I'll set about getting a proper set up sorted!!

Guest designer darrin

I just built a brand new pc and its running 1gb ram, 3800+Dual core athlon and a 6600GT graphics card (128mb). I am having no problems at all?

The first thing I would suggest is shutting down excess crap running in the background sucking up your system resources. Norton is a crap program in my opinion, I use NOD32 which is very light, zone alarm.

Do all the simple things like disc error check, disc clean up, anti virus/spyware check and a defrag.

Guest Delinquent

All done already, unfortunately :) this PC is pretty much only running SW at the moment, plus obviously the odd bits n pieces needed to keep it running. Dont know what it is as obviously plenty use them without problems, just not this one!!

Guest w i l l

I'm having problems as well though... mainly with the skecthes looking ragged, but I'm not sure whether thats a graphics card issue of just Solidworks service pack 0.