Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
voodoo

Achieving 'clean Lines' In Sketchbook

I have attempted some rough sketches in sketchbook but when it comes to the final dark outline I am totally inaccurate.

It is really annoying as it takes me 5 minutes to sketch and shade but when the final outlines have to be made it takes me about half an hour!

The longer the line the more innacurate it is.

I guess I have to make a quick, clean stroke with the pen. As I slow my action the sweep looks less clean and 'wobbly'

Are there any tips to get my lines clean and accurate?

BTW I also have painter, photoshop and alias studioworks to use also. If the results can be easier achieved in these packages.

Guest RobMay

I would say don't slow your action, keep the speed of the stroke constant and over extand the line. It can always be erased to fit the boundaries of the drawing or you might find you like the way it looks.

If you want more control over your lines then alias studiotools, and i think painter, let you put down guide curves which you can snap to as you draw a line. Check out the studiotools sketching tutorial on this site, you'll get an idea of the results you can achieve.

Guest cspak71

From my own experience, guessing that you're using a wacom tablet for these lines.. it just takes practice. You learn to place the "undo" shortcut as one of your hotkeys on your wacom tablet (if it has one), and stroke your line to match your underlay. To get the line just right the first time is usually difficult, and you tend to undo, and re-stroke the line. You'd be amazed at how often all designers (pro and non-pro) re-stroke a line a few times to get it just right.

Remember, don't go slow.. that creates a wavy line.. use your entire arm (elbow down), and give a strong, quick stroke.