Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest unni

What Do You Want From A Mobile Phone?

Guest unni

hello ppl,

please let me know wht u guys need from a mobile.....

is it only Communication?

More Interaction?

Any other affordance or functionality?

Entertainment?? if, so to what extent.....

how shud the future mobiles be?

what more can be done on them?

see guys, i am kinda stuck here. i have done surveys to wht ppl want in mobiles, travelled arnd in cities to find a new market....but nothing solid or fruitful has come out yet. i would really appreciate it if u guys could shower some light on my topic at this point of time.

thnx

Guest P3NGU1N

right now it's like cell phones can do everything. 10 years ago it was a brick that made phone calls, now there's all this fancy smancy stuff like cameras and speaker and everything. Back then dropped calls rarely happened, calls happened immediately as soon as i pressed the green button, now as technology improves, signals get weaker. why? cuz there's too much SH*T in them, they're like watches that shoot lasers, cook breakfast, and blow bubbles that dont tell time.

mobile phones need to do what they were meant to do well instead of many things half assed. if you want a camera get a digital one for $50 and it's the size of a credit card. too often i have my calls dropped, i think if the phone itself had a better reciever/transmitter instead of a 1.2 mega pix camera it would make life easier for me and the people i'm talking to.

if you want a camera buy one

if you want games, get a psp

if you need music on the go, be like everyone else and get an ipod

i want a phone that works, and i've realized that it's anything but

my phone is imported into the states from europe, it has a 3g network that allows me to video chat (doesnt work in the states) and i often find myself wondering "why". do i REALLY want to see the person on the other side? do i NEED them to see me talking to them? James Bond is the only person i can think of that can put any of these functions to good use.

Guest unni

hehehe....nice one penguin. i can see u r really annoyed with all the gizmotic functions the mobiles have. but take some time off the heat and lets see. is it tht bad? arent ppl enjoying the facilities provided to them by the mobiles. i understand nothing is worth it when it doesnt do the basic function well. but isnt the basic function also getting fulfilled quite ok? millions of ppl all over the world own higher end models of mobile phone. all of them cant be buying them for the sake of it right?

but i completely agree with u ..i was also thinking in the same way regarding phones(too much is done!) but today mobiles as a brief has been given to me and i have to do justice to this project. also maybe its at such a point of frustration and confusion tht a totally new product arises.

anyway thnx penguin for ur thoughts!!!!!

ciao.

Guest P3NGU1N

ok, for a more constructive idea, haha.

cellphones right now are blending more and more into PDAs. some PDAs can actualy make calls and such but the dialing pad is organized in such a way that makes it difficult and inefficient.

perhaps making the keypad a touchscreen (nintendo DS as reference) that can rearrange itself depending on the function you want. say if you want to make a call it turns into a number pad, if you want to type out and email is is a keyboard.

i think eventually all major providers will obtain and use a 3g network, making it more affordable for everyone and it MAY start a trend where you can actually see the person you're talking to.

perhaps you can make a cellphone with a collapsable screen where it's compact and when you video chat it can become larger. just an idea.

i dont know if any of this helps you or if you've already thought of most of these, but good luck with your project!

Guest Jambon

Oh...wow. You just asked a nerd what he wants in a mobile phone....be prepared....:). Hehe, anyways, here we go:

Ok, in contrast to P3NGU1N (a name which makes me think you either like linux (w00t), March of the Penguins, or are just being facetious) I favor a convergence device. For me the risk involved in putting all my eggs in one basket (i.e. phone breaks, so does your mp3 player) is less important than the convenience of not having to juggle 2 or three different devices. Another factor also comes into play: pocket space. Now during the winter, when I have a jacket and a backpack essentially attached to me, that isn't an issue. But in the summer, it becomes annoying to juggle an ipod, a phone, a wallet, and whatever else I need when I don't have either a jacket or a backback on me. Also, women, with their tighter clothes, would certainly appreciate the extra room in the summer :).

What do I want in such a device? Oh, well, a lot. First off, make it about the size of an ipod (nano or regular, depending on how many features you want. *side note* I think it would be great to make an attachment to the nano that would turn it into a cellphone. Just a thought).

Storage space: hard drive for the bigger version, flash for the smaller. You need the space for the media files.

Input: Depending on version, touchscreen or keypad. The advantage of touchscreen is rearranging buttons (Fujitsu has an interesting design for that.). The advantage for keypad is feel, and being able to use it with gloves. I personally like the idea of being able to feel the buttons (I often dial wthout looking), but haven't used a good touchscreen so I will hold out on a verdict. The solution to the touchscreen/gloves problem would be voice activated dialing (already available on some models).

Screen: OLED. Better contrast for daytime, clearer, faster, and pontentially cheaper than lcd. They can even be transparent.

Features:

Wireless Internet: Perfect for chat, email, and also calling.

Bluetooth: duh

Flash card compatibilty: So you can backup your cameras pictures, among other things.

Multiple provider usage: either by swapping provider cards, or a simple software switch. There have been many times I would like to be able to use different providers when traveling.

Hard Drive usage: so you can backup files and move them around. Also, as done in some mp3 players, a way to connect to cameras (non flash cards) via USB to tranfer and backup photos without needing a computer.

Other cards: GPS and XM radio could be addons with special cards.

Accessories: I agree that a camera need not be standard. Let it be an addon. Maybe have it look like this. Other things could be added on as well.

Software: Open source. I'm not kidding. Make the software open source. If it's open source, and there's a feature missing the software, you can change it. Nokia did the same thing with their 770 internet tablet. Think of it, DOOM on your phone. And all without the trouble of hacking.

So ya, those are a few suggestions. See how you like them. I'll add more if you want. My main point being that more features doesn't necessarily mean that the phone functionality will suck. That's up to the designer. The point (as Apple has shown so well) is that the features should not all scream for attention. A simple design can accomplish a lot, if done well.

Oh, and one more shameless act of open source promotion. Check this thread out and see if you care to try designing just such a phone here on the forums.

Guest unni
cellphones right now are blending more and more into PDAs.

very interesting point...its surprising to note that even in India where i am from the are increasing in huge amonts.

but the dialing pad is organized in such a way that makes it difficult and inefficient.

again very interesting point. i will do a thourough research on this one. havent actually used a pda. but thnx for such a diretion. lets see how the users in India find this situation.:) and also the soltion u have given for it is really interesting. i was planning to incorporate touchscreens but now ithas a reason other than just coolness.

perhaps you can make a cellphone with a collapsable screen where it's compact and when you video chat it can become larger. just an idea.

ya...this one i was seriously thinking of. also in india most of us are movie freaks. so viewing things on mobile is a very interesting option. the only thing tht is stoppig us right now is small screens. so solving tht wud give way to a different use of mobiles completely. the issue was whether anybody wud be actually interested in dumping the data and removing it often. since the hardrive or the flash memory provided might be not be large enuf. i was browsing for this one when i heard something regarding video streaming. so television can also be possible on mobiles then. so all the attention needs to be devoted to the screen at such a point.

thnx a lot for such great feedback...yesterday i was sitting arnd all depressed thinking its going nowhere...but today i can see some direction....thnx a lot penguin.

Guest unni
Oh...wow. You just asked a nerd what he wants in a mobile phone....be prepared....:). Hehe, anyways, here we go

Whohoa!! i am lucky i asked the nerd!!! :)

For me the risk involved in putting all my eggs in one basket (i.e. phone breaks, so does your mp3 player) is less important than the convenience of not having to juggle 2 or three different devices

its very interesting to note tht many ppl feel the same way as u. when i did the user surveys in many cities in india ppl often told me they were worried abt investing in an expensive fone for the fear of losing or breaking it. now probably thr only answer to it is as u say make the fone look more modest rather thn make it flash and shout arnd all the features it has. is there another way to it....will ppl be still apprehensive abt putting all their eggs in one basket? probably yes. but maybe as u say making it look more durable and reliable will just do th trick.

Also, women, with their tighter clothes, would certainly appreciate the extra room in the summer original.gif.

i completely agree.....bulky fones jutting out really look sad. again for this reason i came acrss many women who carry their mobile in their hands which is another reason why they often loose it. ppl tend to forget things they are carrying in their hands on the table or the cab or wherever. also with the indian attire women in india have no choice but to carry mobile in their hands.

I think it would be great to make an attachment to the nano that would turn it into a cellphone. Just a thought).

even i thought of tht..hehe:D ....but i feel tht wont do justice to my project. though its the simplest solution possible maybe.

and thnx a ton for all the detailed thought on the features and everything. and ya the fujitsi design is really coool. and yes....i am checking ur thread.:)..will take some time...its too long.

Guest Jambon

I should add one more thing. OLED screens have another advantage: flexibility. This could take care of the screen size problem for movies on the go (roll-out screens). The tech may not be production ready yet, but it's going to be. Just a thought. More as I come up with them.

Guest unni

hey guys,

heard tht mobile blogging is an upcoming thing... wud guys indulge in something like tht? u can upload and have fun while on move...is the screen size and a mouse the only thing thts stopping u? wht do u think? let me know whether u will go for this.....

Guest dr3amz

hey,

i´m using a pocket-pc phone for half a year now replacing my old siemens.

its a HTC Magician, which is sold under different names by providers:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/08/review_htc_magician/

i dont call people so often, but i can say that the touchscreen interface is not

that bad. the buttons are big enough to dial with fingertip not using the pen.

and i think most times i call people from the adressbook and dont have to dial.

the pocket-pc is using windows mobile 2003 2nd edition. its not open source,

but there is a lot of freeware available in the www. you will find games,

office software and multimedia stuff. i´ve got an divx-player on, so i can

store movies on flashcard and watch them when traveling. mp3 too.

very nice is shareware like LibertyControl, that allows you to control

your pc by bluetooth. like a remote control for your mediaplayer or powerpoint.

i don´t use the camera. but the pda-functions like adressbook, notepad and

calendar. when connecting it to a pc active sync is updating outlook. this is

very helpfull for organizing tasks on my laptop and being reminded by my phone.

the followup to HTC Magician is called Prophet and got an 2Megapixel Camera

and WirelessLAN inside.

o2_xda_neo_side.jpg

after all i can say, that for the business-market these pocket-pc-phones are usefull.

for the multimediamarket they have not enough memory inside, so you have to buy

flashcards or a superdrive extra. the headphones are okay and its good, that music stops,

when a phonecall is incoming.

the design is not exciting, just a box with a display on. size is okay, but could be thiner.

with all these multifunctional products is even the same problem. you look at them

and don´t know what they can do. so in this case penguin is right. its more interesting

for a designer to make products focusing on one function and make them look like.

i dont know why a phone as a mainly accustic device is dominated by a big screen

and you dont see speaker and microphone. hey and i dont believe in videocalls.

this topic is so old and never catched the customer. i saw a stationary videophone

on a fairy over ten years ago and they told this is the next big thing. nothing happend.

as UMTS was comming all companies had commercials with people doing videocalls.

now we have the technology in stores but people don´t care about seeing the caller.

okay, long text, i hope you understand my poor english;)

bless,

drmz.

Guest Jambon

unni, I think mobile blogging could catch on. The screen size is a issue, but if the screen was big enough it could work (just look at the nintendo DS). As far as capturing moments on the go, I think it will be a while before one can input things on a phone fast enough to make it viable. Speech recognition could work, but I think audio and video blogs could be much more interesting. Being someone who listens to public radio (This American Life is my favorite show on NPR, I get it from their website. I highly recommend everyone listen to at least one episode of it), the idea of being able to record audio clips and then upload then to your website would be great. If you're phone has a camera or video camera, you could add pictures and video clips. This to me seems a much better solution for mobile phones, as it would not require a person try to input text on a small screen. I know most phones can already record audio and video clips, but the added ability to upload them to a site would really help people who are seldom near a computer.