Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Qter

3d form development or the sense of style

Guest Qter

Hi everone,

From a technical background (electric engineering and industrial product development), I'm working my way up through self study and courses to become a good industrial designer. (actually I'm already working as a designer, but that means in this company to be a cad monkey ;) )

But the hardest thing to master is styling or 3d form development.

I already draw pretty well and I have read "Elements of Design: Rowena Reed Kostellow and the Structure of Visual Relationships", which is very good but difficult to practice with when you don't have any feedback. I also did a course on figure drawing and sculpting the human figure with clay. Altough those art classes are fun and relaxing to do, I don't have the feeling that I really learn from it because I'm just imitating what i see. I'm looking for basic information about how you make a form balanced, aggressive, sportive, sensual, dynamic, etc.

What kind of exercises did you do at school or which books did you read to master this particular skill? What art classes can you recommend?

Thanks!

Qter

I am a student from the Industrial Design Engineering department of Delft University of Technology, where the focus of education lies on research, methodology and engineering. There are some subjects on styling, but i think they don't pay enough attention how we could learn to style a object. As you said, how to make someting agressive, sportive, etc... They only taught me to make moodboards, which should contain those elements you described. They taught me to analyze the forms and colors of the moodboards, which can be used in the styling of the end product. I do not prefer moodboards, cause they take a lot of time to create.

Also take a look at: http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=315

I think proportions of an object tells a lot about its attitude. For example, cars have different proportions to show their type of package (SUV,sportscar,etc..) and attitude (sportive, aggressive, elegant, etc... ). For other products you can experimentate with proportions too. So I believe that this is one way of styling a product.

Details like sharpe edges or rounded shapes could help strengthening a certain kind of image.

I also want to hear more suggestions and opinions. Very interesting topic Qter.