Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dygitalvision

Quick sketches

Guest dygitalvision

I did these sketches today in english class, no special mediums, grey prisma and a blue highlighter for my notes..what do you guys think..trying to post more free time work cant really post much of my work because of legal reasons.

How can i improve my quick sketching??? these to 7-10 minutes.

thank you,

65008_ZOismneotx4LG2Mx6rHLnPpDm.jpg

Hm, I don't really see how you could improve those as they are quick sketches. They look a lot cleaner than my quick ones (I usually don't even have the patience to put some marker in them).

Only thing I noticed is the grey line running along the bottom of your sole. I would try instead to use that line to show which parts of the sole stick out and which parts turn away from the viewer.. bit like giving the far areas darker colour than the near areas. Or maybe it's better to think of an imaginary lightsource from the top left and use that to lighten the sole.

But then again, your shoes have a lot of detail in them, and using shading that would represent depth would take away the detail.. so shading is perhaps more interesting for more advanced sketches or renderings (perspectives for example).

Just some thoughts..

Guest Xriry

I agree that for quick sketches those do look very good! Being a shoe designer myself i would suggest to look at the porportions of the sole and the size of the colar opening. Also watch the curvature of the heel, most shoes do have a little curve like as seen in your second concept.

never the less. Great sketches!

Ive also started using this pen called a ZIG writer, its kind of a felt pen with .5mm and 1.2mm ends. it is good for different line weights, and wont smear when you add marker like a ballpoint pen does (i know that you didnt use ballpoint, but its just a tip to all i want to pass on)

Ive also started using this pen called a ZIG writer, its kind of a felt pen with .5mm and 1.2mm ends. it is good for different line weights, and wont smear when you add marker like a ballpoint pen does (i know that you didnt use ballpoint, but its just a tip to all i want to pass on)

Nice tip, doubt they have those here, but i'll keep my eyes open for one.

Guest dygitalvision

thank you both, i will post more free time sketches..next week i have english class again maybe I will get some more ideas out. I will post more finished professional projects once I am allowed to show. I will pay attention to the heel. the thing is that I dont usually sketch a lot with pencil, all of these were just with pen. and pen can be very unforgiving. so I try to get the shape i want, and work with what i have already drawn, even if mess up come about. my style is very sketchy and i think a lil dramatic, I think i get this from doing a lot of figure gesture drawings in school. I also usually note a lot on my sketches, about form and function and materials, but was trying to take notes for class and well, didnt have time, will post some with notes and details soon, thank you for your comments, please post, i want to learn more...

ooo yeas, about the outsole, good ideas, I do the grey outline on the bottom so that it looks bottom heavy, and so that it doesnt look like it is floating so much and alot of times uppers can really out weigh the outsole, so i do this to give a lil ballance. It was soming i picked up froma designer at my work. I wasnt really trying to design an outsole in these sketches mainly just uppers, that is why such lil attention to detail was put into them(the outsole).

thank you all...

Guest yeddeync

I would put a darker outline on the bottom f the shoe. There is a lot of sameness to your outline which can make a sketch confusing/boring. But, your details and quick sketch make your shoes interesing.

Guest dygitalvision

that is a good observation. I didnt have a dark marker with me at the time but I will post sketches with that . thank you

I don't think u need to improve ur quick sketching skills. They are communicating the shapes and graphics very well. Fast and clean enough for ideation sessions, which are understandable to other persons.

About the line weights, maybe try to make variations in that, just make certain lines thicker through drawing over the same lines several times, without a marker.

Guest dygitalvision

when you first look at a sketch like mine or others what types of things do you look at first??

what types of things vome to mind when you look at them???

i am wondering....

Guest yeddeync

For me, the First and Third sketch are not appealing. I dont think of much, except for shoes with to mdetany contrasting forms and details ( Perhaps not enough simplicity?) Were you just trying to accomplish quick sketches or did you have a thought process? But, on the other hand, the second shoe seems to have a flow about it. The shapes and curves work well together. I can't tell if the materials will work together yet, but a rendering could easily convey that. Maybe some arrows that give information about materials and shoe can help viewer's understanding to become more clear.

Guest dygitalvision

thank you, noted..I will post my next sketches like my normal ones with a forest of notes on them, i actually go crazy on notes, i like to be very specific...like i said english class stuff..i will post more soon..

thank you,

Guest Xriry

i buy them at a local art store, but i did a search on the internet and i found that they are normally used for scrap book making.... go figure. but anyways, like i said before i like em, because of the two tip sizes, they are waterproof, and they have some nice colors, my fave is the steel gray. Maybe i'll try to find some decent sketches ive done and scan em.

Here is a link to what they look like

http://www.dickblick.com/zz213/05/products...am=0&ig_id=1148