Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ron66

Electrical Wheelchair Scooter

Guest ron66

1996. My first design project as junior Designer at VanderVeer Designers, designing and building a 1 on 1 model of a wheelchairscooter. Steelframe, plywood basis and building foam glued on it, finished with building plaster. Formed the foam with knife and sandpaper, then the plaster on it and again sandpaper. Took about 5 weeks.

Great project to do, great disappointment too. The company I done it for screwed the stage where they translated the model into product by changing the design and finishing it without attention to detail resulting in openings :D But what can you ask from a company with hardly budget, they are produced but hardly sold and have seen 2 ever being used in public (seeing your own product though feels very good ;) )

post-7-1096370347.jpg

Guest littlecog

very good concept. It would seem a 'no brainer' to devlop a mobility scooter but I believe that this is the first one I have ever seen. A classic 'why didn't they think of that before' product. I can understand the fustrations of translating from concept to product. I deal with production engineers 'interpretations' of the design intent every day in my work. I think also that disabled people as a community are poorly served by manufacturers who often have monopolies in specific markets and a customer base that lacks financial and political options to go elsewhere and purchase a competitors product.

Guest ron66

I have an extensive background in fine mechanical engineering but this Design Bureau did not worked in that field at that time and there simply was no budget to be involved during this proces. But during the Design process I do review manufacturability extensivly.

The Concept is great. The rear suspension is a airshock principle, when you let out the air the rearshocks of the scooter "kneeled down" and unlocked the wheelchair, brilliant, with a compressor the airshocks would be pumped up again ad the wheelchair would be locked. The concept existed longer my job was to redesign it.

Cheers,

Ron

post-7-1096449307.jpg

nice concept. have you found reasons why it wasn't a success? did you do a full user research? like, did you ask the users what they like or dislike about the concept?

Guest Zampik
The concept existed longer my job was to redesign it.

How it looks like before, Have you any pictures?