Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spaziofranco

Deskfolder

Guest spaziofranco

HI GUYS!

I’m sending you this post because I need urgently a big help from all of you.

What I’m asking you is to do a kind of virtual brainstorming, basically it’s about taking a few minutes of your precious time to think about this furniture.

Here's some image-concept of this high-desk for small places. I know there's some problems, for this I need help.

thanks a lot

>Franco

http://www.sra.it/eng/portfolio/graphics_ind_design/98.html

post-301-1142954069.jpg

Guest superbad

Could you explain what the thing is trying to do? You're not going to get much help without some context. I get that it's some kind of desk with changeable configurations, but apart from that, I can't tell what's going on.

Guest newkillerstar

I guess that you are trying to save space by going vertical. A good idea when real estate is at a premium.

1> I'm not sure why the base units look like they are ready to come out from under the desk. Looks kinda cool, but sematicly its wierd - people will be afraid of it. Kinda like that swinging bed (just kidding).

2> The chair is a bit daunting, tho I understand that you've squirreled away some storage under it. Would rather see sort of a drafting stool. Something where it supports you, yet you're almost standing.

best of luck

BTW - what package did the pics come out of? Penguin?

Guest spaziofranco

Well!

Thanks so much for suggestions.

Now I'm trying to make this project very simple and solve statics problems.

And I hope someone can help me to find the right language.

thanks and let me know about it!

>F

post-301-1143045702.jpg post-301-1143046062.jpg

Guest superbad

OK, I see what you're doing now. I agree with pretty much everything newkillerstar said (apart from the bed crack :) ). There's something not quite right with a chair that tall. It reminds me of the giant novelty chairs you take photos in. It would make you feel like a little kid having to climb all the way up there. It does gain you some storage, but that storage is inaccessible while you're seated at the desk. You would have to climb down to get at it. I'd rather see that storage stacked up above the work surface somehow. Still, I applaud you for trying something different. The idea of a chair that integrates with the desk when it's not in use is definitely worth pursuing.

Guest spaziofranco

thanks guy......for comment)))

I'm working to answer you. Give me some days...

thaks again

>F

post-301-1143104717.jpg

Guest neversaynever

Dear fellow,

I like it so much but what do you think about add some stuff to support and to move the legs?

I was thinking about something like similar to the movement of a seesaw (altalena).

Probably it could be usefull to help blood pressure and to appease yourself.

One thing more, what about design some stuff to support the arms and to pick up stuffs from the floor?

I wish you happiness and lots of success for it!

a big hug.

nick

Guest newkillerstar

I definately like the addition of a step to the chair. Access is important.

a foot-rest is a good point, never. dangling feet can be annoying

Ever think about the tolerances involved? Will they go together so it almost looks seamless when all together? You may have to worry about rickiting(?). Pieces may stick if it rotates a little and doesn't come out perfectly parallel. Like trying to press fit two pieces that just fit perfectly. If you don't move them square they'll get jammed up. A big piece like you have will have to have enough space around it for that to happen smoothly unless it's on wheels or coasters, etc.

Hmm- interesting color combinations and presentations (sketchup?) Regarding the concept, I feel it is too similar to a high chair, you would feel like a baby. Also I like to lean back in me chair and falling from this chair in the concept looks like it would be painful.

It seems like the differentiator in this concept is the height of the chair. The storage below the chair is available but not easily accessible and makes the chair hard to move if full. So then what advantage can you find to an elevated seating position. What problem can this solve?

Guest spaziofranco

1) You can use it for a couple of hours, it's not a really office station.

2) What problems can solve? Space problems. Many people live in 20mq, just a room in London, Paris, Berlin, Milano. It's so expencive live in a 100mq flat...

3) I know you can feel a child, but could be interisting work with this prospective. Design is function and sensation.

4) What kind of people could put interest in it?

So, I'm just trying to solve practice problem but I'm sure I've to make a model for trying it.

Well, thank a lot for your suggestion

>F

Guest ditman

When I sit down at a desk I pull the chair closer to the desk, I don't really see how this could be done with your design. And when the storage space underneath is used the chair would become quite heavy and lose alot of mobility.

I really like the integration of desk and chair but the height seems to create more problems then answers?