Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
voodoo

Rendering Speed

whats the difference between DDR2 and DDR 400?

They're just different types of memory. DDR2 is newer and the AMD boards that come out later this year will use DDR2, but there really isn't that much of a speed difference right now. However they are different physical sizes, so you can't buy a motherboard that uses DDR400 (PC3200) and use the wrong size memory.

i think i would need 2 hard drives - one small one for work etc and the other for videos music and photos etc

74 and a 160 for example

Thats fine if its in the budget. A 74 gig raptor drive + a big 7200RPM drive for storage is usually how I setup the machines I build for other people. Put the operating system on the Raptor and you have a very fast setup. But my own personal machine is just two 7200 RPM drives + a 7200 RPM firewire external.

is there a big difference between 6800GT ($300) and the 7800GT ($560aus) is it worth the price

difference???

For games yes, for cad, I'd still say you can probably get a 6600GT to cut it if you're on a tight budget. I modelled the entire Alfa above on one and like I said, it kept going even with 2 monitors running. You can pick up one of those cards now for $100 USD.

is it worth upgrading the ASUS motherboard so it has SLI - for a futre upgrade if i have the money to add an extra card??

SLI isn't taken advantage of by CAD applications. It's great for gaming but for applications theres no reason to spend the extra money. Running SLI requires a better motherboard, and power supply.

why are there so many versions of the 6800 card nVidia GeForce 6800 XT, GS, GT etc???

Marketing, and because the technology has changed. I would suggest the GS as it's nearly as fast as the GT and much cheaper because it uses newer technology.

Guest nate

thanks Cyberdemon you like a computer book :)

thanks for answering the questions starting to understand it all a bit better now

:)

Guest almunro

nate i have 6600Gt 256mb version and ive never has any probs, even with one of my solidworks models that had over 350 parts. definitely go the dual core option.

Guest nate

almunro thanks for that

i think it's the way to go everyones talking it up cheers

yeah i think i will go with a amd athlon 64 3800+ dual core

cheers

thanks Cyberdemon you like a computer book :)

thanks for answering the questions starting to understand it all a bit better now

No problem. I'm always making hardware decisions for people and building their systems so I have to stay fairly well versed on the latest hardware. It's fun to dump 3K into a computer but even better when you can spend half the price and still get the same performance for what you need.

Guest nate

specs:

Gigabyte GA-K8N SLI or Asus A8N-E nvidia nforce $150

AMD Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ $472

Nvidia Gefore 6600GT 256mb PCI -E $200

Western Digital 74gb 7,200 RPM - i think around $80

2gb Crossair DDR 400 RAM or Geil $250

case: Soparano thermaltake with PSU 430W $130

LG DVD-+ R/RW 16X with light scribe $90

all prices are in Australian dollars and i can claim 20% back

if anyone knows of a cheaper deal let me know !!!!

also i have ram from my old computer i think it's DDR says 333 on it and i think c 2.5 can i use it cause theres a GIG of it??

same with my old harddrives - my computer crashed can't get access to them windows is installed on one of the 2, can i used these on my new system and windows will be there?? can you use any HD or dose it have to be a new SATA one?????

Guest rodanx86

Hey, I'm building a computer for ID right as we speak. Everything that has been said is consistant with what I think ID-ers need.

1. AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

2. ABIT AN8 32X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard

Balance of Features, fast FSB, good reviews. Asus seems to have a loyal following as well.

3. 2 Gigs Ram PC3200 for this MOBO

4. Hard drive- Whatever is cheapest, Large Cache is nice, but most people don't notice that much of an increase in performance, especially after the HD is fragmented.

5. COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW ATX Case with side window- I think this is a nice looking case. But if I had the time, I would design my own.... For now, I'll just stick in a blue light or something.

6. Video Card- I was going with the PNY Quadro FX500, which passes all of SW certification and is relatively cheap.

I am also going to stick in my old 160 GB HD as well as a HD TV tuner card and turn it into a file/ftp/http server and HTPC.

Edit: I just realized that all my components won't go with each other. Oops. Its always good to double check to make sure everything will work together.

Guest RobMay
whats the difference between DDR2 and DDR 400?

Memory that runs at over 400mhz is classed as DDR2 and memory up to 400mhz is DDR. Its pretty much a case of DDR2 being an updated version of DDR. Its a bit like the way Intel name their CPUs (Pentium, Pentium 2, Pentium 3 and so on) to give you an idea of the speed of the chip. In this case it is the speed at which data can be written and read from the RAM module.

Hope thats not confusing! You don't need to worry about DDR2 because the AMD64 motherboard ur looking at doesn't support it - i don't think any AMD64 mobos support DDR2 but i could be wrong.

DDR modules come in a number of speeds which are determined by the model number:

PC2100 - runs at 266mhz

PC2700 - runs at 333mhz

PC3200 - runs at 400mhz

The quicker the better.

is there a big difference between 6800GT ($300) and the 7800GT ($560aus) is it worth the price difference???

is it worth upgrading the ASUS motherboard so it has SLI - for a futre upgrade if i have the money to add an extra card??

why are there so many versions of the 6800 card nVidia GeForce 6800 XT, GS, GT etc???

There isn't currently a vast amount of difference between the 6800 and 7800 but the latter is more future proof and will come into its own as new apps and games come out.

SLI setups only really improve game performance i don't think CAD apps currently utilise it.

The different versions of the 6800 dictate the capabilities of the card:

GT and Ultra are the higher performing cards

GS comes in somewhere between standard (standard being simply 6800) and GT

the other versions i believe are scaled down cheaper models.

I think if ur building a workstation - specifically for applications and not games - then you would be best served getting an nVidia Quadro, anything between the FX500 up to the FX2000, whatever fits your budget.

Guest newkillerstar

nice thread - and good advice.

I'll say from experience that you can save some bucks by building your own. Heres the pitfalls:

-No support. You are tech support. Talk about all the tech support horror stories you want, but when somthing went south on my boss's Dell (under warrenty), they had someone out fixing it the next day. I know form experience, the first time your PSU goes south (it will take other stuff down with it), you'll wish you had support and a warrenty.

-OS. If you already own an acceptable OS, then you can save some bucks over a Dell. The one exception is that at one time Dell sold N series machines (N for No OS). Worth a look.

Now if that hasn't phased you - Asus mobos are sweet, had good luck with Soyo as well. If you're on a budget and looking to shave a few bucks, check out the refurb boards on Newegg.

Also - don't get caught up so much in the perfomance wars - intel v amd, ati v nvidia. Look for bang for the buck as well as upgradability. Look at the prices on pricewatch.com and find where the price break happens for things like procs and vid cards. When it comes to brands and performance, for the most part you won't notice a differance. I swore by AMD cpus for years, because they were affordable and reliable. and they were. Now I don't use them, simply because I use Dells. Am I somehow slipping behind at work due to lack of perfomance? Hardly. Also, from my experience, ATI products have not been as stable as nVidia's.

Dual core is definately the way to go. I too have had render times cut in half (intel core duo). I wouldn't touch a new PC without one.

Last - As I said, I run Dells now. We have precisions and dimensions (that we run like precisions :)) and they are solid. Had some trouble some years back with some 1st gen XPS boxes, but nothing like that since.

My personal opinion for rendering - get a dell with at least one year warrenty, 1-2gb ram, core duo proc, big HDD, and whatever vid card comes with it. Vid cards are easy to upgrade if not happy, and ram is easy to add. Get a good base system and upgrade as needed. Also, the 9150 with a 24" LCD for ~$1200 is a sweet deal.

cheers

Guest nate

wow thanks everyone !! :)

quadro fx 500 - quadro's are soo expenive tho worth it? compared to a 6600gt??

DDR modules come in a number of speeds which are determined by the model number:

PC2100 - runs at 266mhz

PC2700 - runs at 333mhz

PC3200 - runs at 400mhz

so you can mix and max different RAM speeds as long as it's DDR?? - can't mix DDR and DDR2

saw this qudro is that a good price for a quadro 1300fx $230 Aus is 12bmb enough - whats that like compare to a 6600GT?

quadro

cheers everyone :)

I guess you're getting conflicting advice on the graphics cards.

I still say unless you're doing heavy work that warrants it, save your money.

The nice thing is if you buy a cheap video card (obviously prices are much different where you are than in the US, so I can't give you any advice on where to get a good buy). You can most likely resell it fairly easy and not lose a lot of money.

IE: You buy a 6600 video card. You aren't happy with its CAD performance (which as I've mentioned with my Alfa it's a VERY strong card). You now have a card you can put on Ebay, sell to a friend who plays computer games, etc. Many people want gaming cards and you can resell it probably taking at most a $50 hit.

If you buy a Quadro card you can say "wow this card is great!" but you won't know what the actual performance jump is. You may miss out on some features, but unless you know for a fact you need them, the majority of CAD users and Cad enthusiasts are NOT running workstation class cards and get along just fine. Not to mention resale value of a Quadro is more limited as they're for a specific target market.

Guest nate

yeah thanks for the info

from what i had, this will blow it out of the water !!

thanks

Guest newkillerstar
so you can mix and max different RAM speeds as long as it's DDR??

yes, but - the faster bits will clock themselves down and run at the speed of the slow bits, meaning you wasted money on the faster stuff.

can't mix DDR and DDR2

right, unless - the mobo somehow supports this. at the advent of DDR, some boards supported SDRAM and DDR. gotta watch all the details.

If you are going to dive into a home build, be intimately aquianted with every detail of these products and know the differance. Tomshardware.com is a great review site. also the reviews on newegg.com will tell a lot of stories. also - many manufactures have forums on their site (MSI for instance). You can save a lot of trouble by reading other users stories here.

Guest RobMay

Where are you based Nate, are you in the UK?

If you are then check out Ebuyer.com, i doubt u'll find anywhere cheaper for PC components.

so you can mix and max different RAM speeds as long as it's DDR??

Yes but don't bother. PC3200 DDR RAM is dirt cheap at the mo, u can get a 512mb module for about £25 on ebuyer and a 1gig module for about £60. If i were u i wouldn't even consider the slower RAM.

If you were to give me an idea of ur budget i cud put together a list of what i would get, give you a better idea of how far ur money will go?