Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nate

Solidworks Car Modelling Wip

Guest schwinndk

Hi there Nate,

I got inspired in your work and have started modeling my own Audi. It was cool having your ideas to look at to make the aprotch more easy. I have made some small ajustments here and there to fix some of the minor issues, and are nearly finished with the surface modelling. Keep up the good work. I will be looking forward following your modelling.

post-2504-1144014223.jpg

Guest nate

IvanRD & schwinndk

thanks for the info on the partlines - have to read over that again to take in all the info !! :)

schwinndk - man - nice work, you seemed to produce that car very quickly :) how many hours thus far?

no wonder i can't get a job ;)

i think you aproached it in a smarter way - when i started - i did the boot as a seperate piece not like you did and split (did really know about split etc then - all learning i guess)

i really can't go back now and make it one loft insted of two this would destroy my feature tree :( ^%$#!@

i'm basically learning as i'm going - would love to see how you went about doing other aspects of the car!!

i was going to surface the whole car and split the surfaces as i go and then at the end - do what you guys have recommended -

schwinndk - my wheel arches - i lofted the front ones - yet , because of the cut out in the above surface i get the lines - you don't have those

and should you stich as u go or at the end - cause i loose track of which ones i've done etc

i'm i going about this car the right way !! (cause theres so many ways to do things in solidworks)

all learning for my next car !!

cheers

nate

Guest schwinndk

Nate,

Thanks for the words.. Well, it is always easier to make somthing when looking at others way of making a construction. So it allwayes take more time when starting up fresh ;)

I spend around 7-8hours Sunday on what I have accomplished until now. Thus I had to walk my putch a few times and having to mingle with my girl who was complaining about using my Sunday in front of my computer (my second girlfriend)... But it takes longer to think about the way you want to make it. So it allwayes takes longer to make it then just the constructing time. :)

Anyhow, there are some few tips and trix you can do when modelling with surfaces in SW. I tend to use the "intersection curve" on extruded surfaces rather then making 3D splines in free modelling. Also I use the "composite curve" when joining curves that cuts more then one surface. I would try using this with your front wheel problem. This will remove the two lines you talk about.

There is really no right way of making the car. I think your approtch as a newbe in surface modelling is really a great achievement. And as you say, All learning for your next car. One good thing to have in mind is to make your surfaces in the right order, so you are able to make the different surfaces tangent to one another.

I will post my car when I am done with the rest of the surface details.

Keep on the good modelling. Cheers

Guest nate

schwinndk

thanks for that :)

yeah whats the difference between comp curves and selecting the edges in a 3d sketch and converting entities ? - started using comp curves after looking at axelrods car - but didn't know why

intersection curve? will have to look into that -

i wish i could go back and change those 2 lofts and make it one - such a silly mistake - then for the rasied area on the front of the car i could have just offset surface and jointed :( oh well..... :)

good to see my working pics helped - hard to find info on this for solidworks !!! (most of it seems to be on this site :) )

i will try what you have recomended once i get back home - lets hope computer still has some life left :)

also some screen shots of the partline assembly work would be good - if you have the time :)

what graphics card do you have - thats realview you have on isn't it?

can't wait to see what you come up with

cheers

nate

Guest schwinndk

Hi nate,

I went back to see your problem regarding your wheel arches. I see your problem, and this is not gonna be easy to fit that way. I belive you will have to fix it by aplaying a small radius on your sharp edge along the side. This will flatten it more out make the wheel arches sweep nicer. I tried different approaches with no luck. I would make an offset both wayes on your curve along the car, and cut out this section. Then apply a loft tangent to both faces.

I will be working on my model soon again. I have 10 dayes holliday comming up, so I will be away for a bit. But I will be looking at the post to see your progress..:)

Yes, I have realview on my puter at home. Its an old one where I took the quadro 700FX card from my workcomputer when I upgraded that. Its kinda nice to have, but it eats alot of memory when working on big assemblies. Or maybe its my old puter witch needs an upgrade. :)

Cheers..

Guest Puhrot

I am trying to do this and having some issues lining things up on the side of the car. I dunno what I am doing wrong, but I keep banging my head against the wall over here. Would either of you two (nate or schwinndk) be willing to send me the file so I can see how you are doing this? My email is puhrot@gmail.com. I would greatly appreciate this.

Guest tom

Hey mills

Mate your Kicking it ! When are we going to get an update on the project !!

Guest seasalt

The Audi is a very interesting effort. Looks better every time.

I had somehow assumed a solid model would be the idea.

Is it better to do a car as a surface model, rather than a solid, and why?

Alternatively, is there a discussion of different approaches somewhere?

Hope this is not too dumb a question.

The Audi is a very interesting effort. Looks better every time.

I had somehow assumed a solid model would be the idea.

Is it better to do a car as a surface model, rather than a solid, and why?

Alternatively, is there a discussion of different approaches somewhere?

Hope this is not too dumb a question.

Since cars aren't solid in real life, yes it's better to do them as surfaces.

Guest ParaCAD

Id also say, more flexibility for creating the complex flow and lines of a car body.

EDIT: My first post on this thread by the way. I've been following it and i commend you on posting the progress. Would love to hear an update and see some progress.

Guest nate

hey

got my new computer and have started on my car once again

not on my computer right now - but go to www.nathanmills.com and there are some update images

however tomorrow i will add them hopefully

i'm at the stage where i need to stich and thicken everything togeather :)

have a few problems where my sidepanel and roof meet need a smooth flow

then do the wheels - interior and a long time rendering

Guest schwinndk

Hi,,

My Audi modelling has been on a standby the past month because of heavy working, hollidayes and upstarting of a new company etc. sorry nate.

I hope to get the time very soon so I can finish this modeling project. It is a very cool project to do, so I am eager to get my fingers on to it again.

I will join in again soon. Good to see your still hanging it there nate.

Guest nate

hey guys

decided to do a test render to see how the surfaces look

photoworks2

render time: 30sec <

we'll - theres a few problems with the mirror/centreline but nothing major

still need to get my head around importing each part into an assembly to make the panels etc

have to do some wheels and a quick interior and apply materials ;)

Question:

when i stitch 2 surfaces togeather then fillet, it fillets the surface but sometimes one surface remains and i have to manually delete face etc ???

post-1893-1147009309.jpg

Love the refections on the car chrome. carlights and the floorbase.

Can you give me a lowdown on the materials and lightsources you used.

You have achieved that 'outside look' that I like to do myself.

All my renderings sofar seem to be have an unnatural 'plasticky' feel.

I want to get a more photorealistic result like yours.

Did you do the blur effect with photoshop?

I find that surface modelling is a lot easier than solid modelling. The trouble is how do you convert the models into solids? I have tried the knit>make solid command but find it hit and miss.

Sometimes especially with complex shapes I find it impossible to make solid.

I have to use solid models. As to convert to stl, so that the prototyper can handle solids - not surfaces.