Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nate

Solidworks Car Modelling Wip

Guest iddidy

Hi Nate, Its looking really good, you are really pushing surface modelling with solidworks! Can't wait to see the final outcome....

I am sure you will get a great job, your skill level is obviously high, judging from your website. Now all you need is some luck!

If your looking for a list of consultancies in the UK try:

www.designdirectory.co.uk

www.britishdesign.co.uk

Guest nate

thanks iddidy

i'll take a look :) !!

yeah wanting to go to england/europe to work - got a mate working as an engineer in Bristol (spelling?) and his loving it.

Guest nate

hey

mitsu50 - now i know what you mean about mirroring at the end :) - started causing more problems than i needed (over complicated things)

Pic 18 - so i deleted the mirror - cleaned up the side pannel (should have done this from the start)

worked out a few of the next steps on paper - it helps!!

put some detail in the back pannel - surface splits, deleting faces - ruled surfacing etc -

also i have cleaned the side surfaces up .

cheers

nate

post-1893-1143178152.jpg

Guest nate

pic 19 - pic 20 - pic 21 -

ok some new updates

redid the arches - smoother now

filled in a few surfaces, and sweeped a bottom rail in, and added fuel cap at back

added windows - split surface with sketch then offset surface and lofted surfaces etc

post-1893-1143526956.jpg

post-1893-1143526997.jpg

post-1893-1143527027.jpg

Guest nate

Hey

any thoughts feed back would be great !!! :)

also i have a few ideas - but what is the quickest and most efficent way of doing partlines for the door etc??

(so many ways to do things in solidworks - looking for the quickest way)

also what is class A surfacing? and how is it acheived???

post-1893-1143539751.jpg

post-1893-1143539853.jpg

A Class A surface is essentially the gold standard of surfacing.

You want the fewest control points necessary to achieve a surface. For example you could probably build a hood with 20 control points in each direction (U/V) but in reality you'll probably only need 3-4. (One on each edge and one or 2 to define the curvature).

If you have a lot of control points slight variations will mean that your actual surface will have small variations in its continutity which in a final product will lead to a bumpy/wavy surface that has crappy surface quality.

Most software has surface evaulation tools (like the Zebra lines) that let you analyze the surface and examine it for defects and errors.

Guest ArtoD2

Just awesome!! I drive a '03 VW Passat Variant and this got me thinking that modelling the "box" can't be that difficult... let's see if I find time to play with it...

Guest schwinndk

Nice job there nate, looking forward seing the paintjob on this thing. ;) This has really encouraged me to try doing one myself. Keep on the good work...

Guest Nelu

thanks for sharing your workflow....the car looks great...I'm learning solidworks2005 at school but I didn't think that I could model cars with it, I've been modeling cars only with 3dsmax ... now I know I can :)...I'll do your mini tutorial, thanks

Guest nate

thanks guys :)

yeah not sure about the rendering - think i might want to learn a new render program - photoworks can get good results but i think it's time to learn something new -

cheers

Guest IvanRD

Beautiful modelling Nate. To answer your question, I would suggest splitting the surface into seperate parts and assembling them in the assembly. (Then you can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things like thicken the surface and add fillets around the edges to get those tiny highlights around the 'part lines'

It may sound like more work, but it might be worthwhile to practice it as uderstanding how to get solid parts which assemble together from a single surface model will be useful for any future design. When I'm designing parts which have a common surface I use this approach.

Guest nate

Pics 22, 23 & 24

The mirror isn't symmetrical - tried surface fill can't get that to work any suggestions

Added a few things here and there, will stich and thicken surfaces at the very end before I finally mirror it.

The front grill - I swept the shape - then could get it pattern the shape - would show a preview then would come up??

I then just copied and move the part manually. About to do the vertical part of the grill is there an easier way?

I would suggest splitting the surface into separate parts and assembling them in the assembly. (Then you can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things like thicken the surface and add fillets around the edges to get those tiny highlights around the 'part lines'

It may sound like more work, but it might be worthwhile to practice it as understanding how to get solid parts which assemble together from a single surface model will be useful for any future design. When I'm designing parts which have a common surface I use this approach.

IvanRD - all the panels I have split - how would I go about making them a separate part? Can I do it all without making an assembly - there would be a ton of mating!!!

Thanks guys for your comments

post-1893-1143953966.jpg

post-1893-1143954022.jpg

post-1893-1143954055.jpg

Guest schwinndk

Hi nate,

If you do what IvanRD sayes you dont have to mate anything in the assembly. The surfaces will be in the right position in terms of its origin. You can take the surfaces you want to ajust, thiken etc. and insert them into a new part. Then when you assembly the car, the parts will be in the right position if you just add them to the assembly, and not drag and drop them onto the assembly.

When do you mean by not symmetrical? is it the surfaces that doesn´t tangent when mirror? I don´t know if you have made your constrains "normal to profile". This will solve that problem. see pic.

I am working on the model aswell, and I can see the issue you have with the rear surface not being tangent. Did you find a good way to make this?

looking good, cheers

post-2504-1143966477.jpg

Guest IvanRD

Hi Nate,

Since you are working with surfaces, I would suggest that you take that 'control' part and place it into an assembly and fix it.

Then you can In-Place insert parts *on top plane for example... and just copy appropriate surfaces into the part. For example, if you want to make a door, just insert a part named door, and copy the surfaces that make up the door into it. Then you can thicken, fillet etc.

Once you build up your assembly with all the parts you can hide the main control surface part - or hide the surfaces inside that part... and you are only left with the solid parts in the assembly.

And yeah, you will not have to mate anything, as you are using in-context parts.

If you want the doors to open, you can make a copy of the assembly where the parts will not be in-context, and then mate the doors to some axis.

Unrelated tip for mating in the assembly is when you insert parts to choose the origin from the tree and the part is automatically inserted to match the orientation between the part and the assembly.

Love to see you progress on this one, I think it will turn out really well if you keep adding the detail!