Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nate

Solidworks Car Modelling Wip

Guest nate

hey guys

this is my attempt at surfacing a car in solidworks

i will post screen shots, i will be doing this in my spare time.

please feel free to offer advice !!

thanks to parel, axelrod and mitsu50 for all your tut's, pic's and questions answered.

frist pic - blueprints of audi tt from suurland.com

2nd pic - just starting to do the rought shape of the boot

> then add detail once i get the general car body shape.

post-1893-1142388284.jpg

Guest nate

3rd pic - just setting up a 3d sketch - using the blue prints to reference off

> the general shape of the front of the car - done

Guest nate

pic 4 - close up of splines

pic 5 - lofted 3d sketch - then mirrored about the right plane

slowly getting a shape :)

Guest nate

pic - 6 - ok problem!!

i lofted the pannel with the 3d sketch, it looked fine till i tried to stich the surfaces togeather.

i drew a 3d sketch along the edge of the boot etc - but it didn't line up - was a smooth spline !! - only joined at the

points???

pic - 7 - i have continued on and will fix the problem later

Guest nate

pic 8 - were i'm up to so far - need to go back and clean up that edge i had troubles with (need advice on that!!)

pic 9 - here i surface trimed the wheel arches out

post-1893-1142404721.jpg

post-1893-1142404787.jpg

Guest nate

pic 10 - wheel arch - 2d sketch - arch drawn with spline then offset and surface filled - 3d sketckes joining to main body

pic 11 - view from back - with rear bumper

can you convert a 2d sketch into a 3d sketch?? - on pic 12 the wheel arch need to curve in towards the car - and i drew it as a 3d sketch originally - but couldn't offset it to get the flat part - any advice

might take another look at your ford truck axlerod :)

post-1893-1142409336.jpg

post-1893-1142409396.jpg

Guest nate

heres where i'm up to will start front bumper and then the basic shaping of the roof - then some detail

:: anyone got some info on all the surfacing tools - solidworks help is limited - some of them i have no idea what they do!!!

Guest mitsu50

looks good so far.

i dont think you can convert a 2d to 3d sketch, but you can create a plane in a 3d sketch. unfortunately i see you are using 2005 and thats not available... :(

i did mine with mostly 3d sketches and surface fill command. one tip though, I would just do one half of the car, knit everything, then mirror, that way you save on features, with one mirror at the end.

Guest nate

mitsu50

cheers thanks for the advice

mirroring - yeah have done half then mirrored it - look closely at the feature tree everything has been mirrored !!! :(

thats has to be one of the best tools ever !!!

Guest Delinquent

on the 3D splines - is there a reason for not using the tool that takes 2 2D sketches and creates one 3D? cant remember the name of it right now!

Guest keffmalone

Nate,

Fantastic job so far with the modelling. Is this just an interest piece (i.e to see if you can rather than needing to?) I have done the same myself recently, however I have to confess to bending the rules slightly because I created the initial basic surfaces in Alias. I was having too much trouble creating the proper surfaces, but having looked at your steps so far, I feel a revisit coming up when I next get the chance.

Anyway just wanted to post to say I know the route you are going down and it is hard, but rewarding.

Also, was wondering how you created the initial 3D sketches for the lofts. Did you just kind of guesstimate the required sketches as well as tracing the blueprints or was it trial and error? Would be interested to know as I want to create the entire car in Solidworks rather than import the basic surfaces before altering, trimming and adding features.

Keep up the very good work, will be checking this post regularly to see how you are doing.

Keffmalone

Edited by keffmalone

Guest mitsu50

i see the mirrors, I was saying that do the whole side of the car, and then do 1 mirror at the end when yuo are completely done, that way you save on features not having to mirror after every section you do.

Guest nate

mitsu50 - yeah i just mirror a piece once i've done it - makes it look like i've done something :D

keffmalone - yeah, just trying to do so i can say hey i can surface a car in solidworks. i feel if you can surface a car you can surface nearly anything !! i hope

i just graduated and have applied to so many jobs in sydney, london, austria, germany etc etc etc from design jobs to engerineering drafting work - and nothing

so i'm just doing it cause i'm bored and have been inspired by peoples work on this site.

Also, was wondering how you created the initial 3D sketches for the lofts. Did you just kind of guesstimate the required sketches as well as tracing the blueprints or was it trial and error?

i traced the blueprints with a spline in a 3d sketch so for the boot i did the top line first from the back view straight accross then went to the top view and moved the splines to fit the arc > then traced the arc of the side view and lofted etc - just like on parels tut

my computer has crash as well so i wont be able to do anything now for a wee while - which su-ks cause i was really getting into it

Guest nate

pic 12 - ok - back on track !!

just lofting the roof and side face togeather - the side face was sweeped up and trimed and the centre (top of roof) was lofted

pic 13 - just a progress shot

pic 14 - when back and tried fixing the problem of the surfaces in this part not lining up (side panel with the boot and bonet)

any thought on how to fix this?? ( made a 3d sketch converted enties of the surface edges )

post-1893-1143018488.jpg

post-1893-1143018557.jpg

post-1893-1143018672.jpg

Guest nate

pic 15 - line work

pic 16 - side view where i'm up too!!

pic 17 - perspective shot of where i'm up too - after 9hours of work (part time) - learning as i'm going

post-1893-1143020779.jpg

post-1893-1143021117.jpg

post-1893-1143021151.jpg