Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest designer darrin

"relaxation"

Guest Rulf

Sleeping in the weekend untill its noon, thats very relaxing, then making a little breakfast with some bread and eggs, orange juice, ah well, you know the deal :(

Thats my relaxing mode

Guest helman

Yeah, for me relaxation generally comes after the completion of something important or necessary. For instance I can be completely relaxed once I have cleaned the house (it's like cleaning the soul) and I generally read the paper with a good cuppa or sit back and play some tunes on my guitar...ah...

I also agree with the point about being at one with the environment - nothing like a good walk in the bush to calm down. Fresh air, different noises, nice colours, nothing artificial.

Guest designer darrin

cleaning the house? You must be a clean freak LOL! i couldn't think of anything worse

Guest helman

Yeah, that's exactly it - CLEANING SUCKS - that's why I feel so good once I've done it.

Guest clouds

Basically its BUDDHISM that you are talking about.

All living beings have the same basic wish to be happy and relax and avoid suffering, but very few people understand the real causes of happiness and suffering.I relate happiness to relasation. Because you cant get relax if you are not happy.

We generally believe that external conditions such as food, friends, cars, and money are the real causes of happiness, and as a result we devote nearly all our time and energy to acquiring these. Superficially it seems that these things can make us happy, but if we look more deeply we shall see that they also bring us a lot of suffering and problems.

Happiness and suffering are opposites, so if something is a real cause of happiness it cannot give rise to suffering. If food, money, and so forth really are causes of happiness, they can never be causes of suffering; yet we know from our own experience that they often do cause suffering. Happiness and suffering are states of mind, and so their main causes cannot be found outside the mind. The real source of happiness is inner peace.

If our mind is peaceful, we shall be happy all the time. So, now try relating things which gives you peace of mind. hope i cud help you in some sort of way..

i would say that if you are designing furniture to be relaxing it should have an almost "embracing" feeling . . .sounds kind of fruity but if you look at furniture like those big leather sofas they are large and soft, and you kind of sink into them, which gives a sense of being embraced. Having the furniture embrace or contour/adapt to the person instead of the person having to adapt to the furniture may be your best bet in making relaxing furniture.

Guest Jambon

vander has a good point about furniture embracing you. The feeling of being embraced is primal. It's a very deeply rooted in our minds and associated with a sense of safety and relaxation. So if you design the furniture with that in mind (organic forms, no harsh lines or edges, sink into it), it would go a long way towards making you relax. Maybe even make it able to change shape to mold to the user.

Guest designer darrin

totally agree, its a feeling of reassurance etc-kinda like the foetal position

Guest tom

escape - when you loose track of time and your mind clears - for me getting outside and having a bash my bike

Guest clouds

I dont buy the idea. The whole embracing idea surely would makes me feel like quicksand sucking me in. relaxation to me should be UNCLUTTERED like floating on water and not squezzing me between fabrics n foams.

IMO, Safety is not Relaxation. Safety is Security and Precautions.

vander has a good point about furniture embracing you. The feeling of being embraced is primal. It's a very deeply rooted in our minds and associated with a sense of safety and relaxation. So if you design the furniture with that in mind (organic forms, no harsh lines or edges, sink into it), it would go a long way towards making you relax. Maybe even make it able to change shape to mold to the user.

Guest Jambon

To each his own. Some people might be a little claustrophobic and hence the feeling of being embraced would not relax them. To others, this is very relaxing and comforting. In my case, being embraced makes me feel safe, which allows me to put my guard down, which allows me to relax. It's a comforting relaxation, rather than a freeing one as you are describing. Not everyone responds to things the same way, so while I related relaxation to safety in some ways, you may not.

Guest designer darrin

Jambon I think largely that most people would fin the 'wrap around' effect comforting in a subconscious way

Guest clouds

In that case, I would love my partner to "wrap around" me with her arms more than anything else.... the best part is NO DESIGN REQUIRED!! hahaha