Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest designer darrin

"relaxation"

Guest designer darrin

I am looking at designing a piece of furniture and my brief is relaxation, what is your own personal interpretation of relaxation and what gives you that "warm secure" feeling? Eg I feel totally relaxed when I am in front of a roaring fire or in bed with rain driving against the window.

Guest abhishek

All living beings have the same basic wish to be happy and relax and avoid suffering, but very few people understand the real causes of happiness and suffering.I relate happiness to relasation. Because you cant get relax if you are not happy.

We generally believe that external conditions such as food, friends, cars, and money are the real causes of happiness, and as a result we devote nearly all our time and energy to acquiring these. Superficially it seems that these things can make us happy, but if we look more deeply we shall see that they also bring us a lot of suffering and problems.

Happiness and suffering are opposites, so if something is a real cause of happiness it cannot give rise to suffering. If food, money, and so forth really are causes of happiness, they can never be causes of suffering; yet we know from our own experience that they often do cause suffering. Happiness and suffering are states of mind, and so their main causes cannot be found outside the mind. The real source of happiness is inner peace.

If our mind is peaceful, we shall be happy all the time. So, now try relating things which gives you peace of mind. hope i cud help you in some sort of way..

Guest designer darrin

thanks for your response,

Relaxtion is part of being happy yes, and we see this demonstrated through spiritualism like budhism etc. There is also a physical response and If so how do I relate this to furniture design? I would wonder how or what a meditation couch would look and feel?

Guest ZO::

my "relaxation ritual" is...being upon the roof of my building at 4am smoking a delicious cigarette staring at the lights of the city...thinking about nothing...just being...ooohhh is great !!...anyway...wether youre in front of a roaring fire, in bed or "acting like a gargoyle" like i do...its always about being silent becoming one with the environment...hey what a trip !!! jejeje...

Guest designer darrin

its always about being silent becoming one with the environment - I love that, so the furniture so put you in space to achieve this or help you achieve the "zen" moment?

Relaxation is for me to free my mind from worries and to feel an unfamiliar space for my self, keeping all the familiar things away.

When putting relaxation and furniture together, i would think of the following characteristics: soft feel, laid back, freedom of movement, feeling like floating above the ground

Guest designer darrin

Thanks for your thoughts waikit!

Anyone else with thoughts on characteristics of relaxation and furniture?

Guest designer darrin

now theres an interesting point, I have really been the most relaxed when either drunk or extremely exhausted from a hard days physical work or some sort of physical activity and climbing into bed was the most heavenly thing ever!

maybe to achieve full relaxation the body needs to be exhausted?

Guest ZO::

mmm...in a way...yeah...but...for example...when im on vacation (i mean "vacation" by "not going to work") i dont like to go to the beach to lay over the sand not doing a thing...i think its more relaxing doing the sort of activities i never do, than doing nothing, even if these activities are exhausting in a physical way...my point is that being exhausted is not necessarily on the physics... its the change of routine that let your mind being relaxed...hey!! another trip!!

Guest designer darrin

sure, I some how need to tie all this up with my furniture brief and get a lead from it..................

oy!- thats a whole lot of cool suggestions- surely you can come up with some interpretation of a furniture design from there!

tension vs relaxation

inner peace

one with the environment

floating etc etc

arr matey- You'll have to walk the plank if I dont see some great sketches out of you in the next few seconds.

(umm- not sure why I am writing like a pirate...I guess I need a relaxation lounge after a long day)

Guest designer darrin

yes I suppose your right, may as well try and get as much as I can though eh?

Guest John-Paul

Everyone is going to hate me for saying this but i'm at my most relaxed when i'm getting on with some design work, bloody fortunate that coz i have loads to do.

I also agree whith what everyone else says, you cant relax untill your subconcious feels you deserve to. If thats chilling in a tent after a long hike or soaking in the bath after a 12 hour workshop day, you must remember to reward yourself for your efforts.

i.e. Make a chair thats a bitch to build, that way when its finished you can use it for your well deserved rest!!!!!!!!

Guest designer darrin

thanks John Paul! I am planning on building the mutha of all couch's! I like your domain name, we forgot to mention that we are relaxed to achieive this too LOL