Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mobile1

The Flashlight Reinvented

Guest mobile1

What a nice forum. I would like to present a design I and my partner came up with for a Flashlight - "The GatLight" quite an unusual design.

dscn2081flare.jpg

The design is focused on maximizing thermal dissipation, the battery is exposed yet the light is fully submersible and water proof. Multiple brightness levels by rotating a clicking knob in the back, the brightness stays the same over the entire life time of the battery, temperature monitoring dims the led when it gets too hot which allows together with the design for this light to be brighter then any other light in its size.

goodone2.jpg

3qview.jpg

We use a Luxeon III driven at 1000mA (at max brightness setting) for a an eyeball searing 90+ Lumen. The light fits in the palm of your hand, comes in stainless steel, titanium or aircraft grade aluminum and is pretty sure the most unusual flashlight you have most likely ever seen.

More photos can be seen on our website at www.gatlight.com. (also detailed specs if anyone is interested).

Each light consists of 82 parts (so from a manuacturing point of view its pretty hard).

Would love to get some feedback...

dscn2057.jpg

ximgp7140.jpg

Guest rodanx86

So, why did you decide on the pillars around the battery as the main design element? Sure, it looks really cool, but as you said, it has 82 parts! Are you trying to promote a more luxurious look and feel, or is it functional to some degree?

Guest mobile1

They are fully functional. The design started out with the goal to make the smallest brightest light possible. The limitation to brightness of a light of this size is heat sinking capabilities. Using high powered LED's requires extensive heatsinking - a normal cylinder type light of this size does not provide enough heat sinking capabilities.

Our pilar design multiplied not only the surface area, but it also allows the battery itself to act as a heatsink - which is nescessary since we are pulling so much current out of the battery that the battery heats up. In a normal cylinder type light, the battery gets sealed into a water tight cylinder, increasing the heat problems even more.

In our design the battery is exposed, which allows excellent heat dissipation. Regarding the parts, 30 of the 82 parts are electronics, to get multiple regulated brightness levels, temperature monitoring and diming, constant brightness regulation etc.

The way the optics is designed is unique as well - having those exposed creates a beautifull lighted effect when the light is turned on - the challenge was making all this water resistant.

This here is a picture of the V1 version - straighter lines, more classical look (but only on / off )

005.jpg

Which design do you guys prefer... Public opinion is about 2/3 for the V2, 1/3 for the V1.

The V1 design: Photos

Or the V2 design: Photos

Guest superbad

That's actually really cool. Nice job. Are you guys machinists, or are you having the parts made outside? If you get the volume up I think you can bring the cost down quite a bit. There are a lot of parts, but they're all pretty simple. This is a natural for Asian production. If you can get the retail price down under a hundred bucks, you'll sell loads. You could see this at Sharper Image, even Home Depot. Think big.

One question: on the FEA plot on your site, it looks like the maximum temp is around 60C- that's getting quite hot for someone to touch. Have you measured the actual temps in use?

I prefer V2. I would probably change the name too- I think major retailers would shy away from something reminiscent of guns and gangsters.

And use stainless cap screws!

Guest Stratiegery01

I like the first design the best, the one with the beveled bulkheads. The design is quite impressive as well as the statistics, however im not going to pay $225 for one.

Guest hamid

It looks cool,,,

Just as a small suggestion don't you think if you add a small ring down to the rotating knob (which adjusts the brightness), to let it be hanged from your keychain, its going to be more sweet!?

Guest mobile1

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Some answers

Are you guys machinists, or are you having the parts made outside?

My background is computers, artificial intelligence, then self taught CAD to design stuff (have tons of ideas). Then a lot of people expressed interest after I posted some renderings of this light, so I partnered up with a guy who normally design stuff that flies to Mars and Space, to start making these products a reality - we have a lot of ideas and a couple other designs are being rolled out soon. We use a machine shop in the US (North Carolina), the electronic components are out of asia, everythign hand assembled in the US.

Small ring for keychain

Yeah we had that idea, however attaching a keychain to amoving part is probably not that great, it could cause the light to turn on. We can attach a loop around one of the rods in the center section, that could work and wouldnt alter the design much. Also the light comes with a nice holster, which decreases the need for key chain rings.

Guest mobile1
One question: on the FEA plot on your site, it looks like the maximum temp is around 60C- that's getting quite hot for someone to touch. Have you measured the actual temps in use?

Well the FEMA model is modelled with the LED temperature set to the maximum allowed temperature. In reality when this temperature is reached the electronics will dim the light until the LED junction temperature is down to a save level. So in reality we won't see sustainable maximum LED junction temperature, unless someone sets the brightness level just below it. Also the FEMA simulates that the Light is not held... however this high intensity version we require that it is held in hand - which increases heat dissipation.

This one run we will do this coming week is for a selected group of Flashlight enthusiasts who want the brightest possible light. For normal consumer versions we will turn the intensity back a little to bring the temperature down. We also have an Aluminum version which gets better heat dissipation and shouldnt go that high.

Below is the Fema for the Stainless model - it is only too hot in the center section. So even if someone would leave the high intensity level without holding it, as long as they pick it up in the back (and not at the center section they should be alright). Also we will be using a new high flux led coming out soon which should lower heat.

finaltemperatureweb.jpg

Guest w i l l

This is one cool product and definitely something that I would buy even for $200. But I'm into tightly machined products/advanced materials etc. I have a random collection of high end metal products ranging from £10,000 press tooling to Stihl axes to Vestax mixers. Bit sad really.

Cool little object, I like the convex shape of the V2, but the black screws look a bit out of place. Love how it's quite an intricate object for something that could be done so simple and cheaply.

Guest leidefeldt

Looks really cool.

I think a minicun retailer should be interested in that flashlight as a B2B gift.

Guest mobile1

Thanks for the nice comments! Regarding the screws besides of black we also have the light with stainless hex screws

dscf2717.jpg

We should soon get an aluminum prototype - (the stainless steel versions are a bit heavy - which a lot of our customers prefer) - which should be feather light with a TI-color annodize. Photos really don't give it justice - Holding the light, feeling the cold bars is a really unique experience - as much as turning it on at night (or in a restaurant with friends) is.

We are currently also thinking of taking the same design and evolving it into an even extremer version.. I'll post some shots once we get a prototype.