Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest abhishek

Refrigerator Of Future

Guest abhishek

hi design chick..

well..i have been adding points in all mails what actually the functions i wud be probably wanting in my ref. saying that it wud be fridge which cud make users life much simpler. but all those till now are like havinga acomp fixed in the machine.hope i wud get some problems faced by various users on the general day. the basic problems and not the solution...

hope i cud clear your doubt. (can these make a mental image of the ref u want for yourself....)

Guest Jooshoo

hi,

sounds like an interesting brief. I like the idea of an 'intellegent control system' but i would be cool if you could use your mobile phone to interact with the fride, i.e. text your fridge when you're on the way home/to the shop etc and it will reply with a list of products you already have.

good luck

Guest abhishek

hey thnks jooshoo..well so u liked my cell connected fridge concept i guess..but it became possible becs of othr friends like u kept sendin me ideas...what u think of those high end refrigerators..and can you guys please explain me how do you find yourselves attached to the fridge emotionally..is their some sentimental value attach with your machine..

looking fwd to a flood of emotions..;)

"If you want to truly understand something, try to change it."

Guest Gaile

Your future fridge can be talking fridge.

just imagine, you want to eat at night, you open it and he shouts: "what? again? At night? Shame on you!" ;)

I would really buy one ;)

Guest superbad
and can you guys please explain me how do you find yourselves attached to the fridge emotionally..is their some sentimental value attach with your machine..

If you feel emotionally attached to a refrigerator, you should see a psychiatrist.

Guest newkillerstar
and can you guys please explain me how do you find yourselves attached to the fridge emotionally..is their some sentimental value attach with your machine..

Thats an interesting talking point.

So I love to cook. I may not be quite at Iron Chef status, but I do ok. Love good food, love to make new / interesting food. Consequently, I have a few kitchen gadgets, appliances, tools. Especially dig my programable instant read thermometer - so handy. Of the few stations I watch, one is FoodTV. Could watch it all day.

That being said - zero emotional attachment to my fridge. Now its nothing overly special. Its big, it works, never failed yet. Even if all of my appliances were top of the line, I don't think the refridgerator would be tops on my list. Its stagnant - it just sits there. The stove does the the cooking - much more excitement there.

So its kinda like computer networking or storage. People don't look for excitement there; they want reliability. The server is where the action is in that field. Thus, people just want their fridge to be reliable and be a good use of the space. Any improvements there will get you the milage you desire. The TV/LCD built in to the fridge was an attempt to make better use of the external space. Not a bad idea neccessarily, but I'd hate to have to reboot my fridge or wrestle with its network connection. Thats why integrated battery backup could be good. Maybe a redundant compressor (or whatever part fails first - fans?).

Its fine to find a new way to cool the thing, but I'd rather stay away from the thermodynamics of the thing. Simple innovations can do the job here. Look at what stainless steel has done for appliances, specifically refridgerators

anyways, fun discussion

Maybe it could be circular and all the shelves could be lazy susans. If all the shelves were like turntables, or had a central pivot point, you would be able to find everything pretty easily.

I know it sounds like a great idea, but it was done back in the 50's or 60's. Was not good - BIG waste of space.

Guest hamid

Hi Abhishek

What did you do finally?

I'm really interested to see the result of your project,,, So please let us know about it if you've already finished.

Guest abhishek

thnks a lot hamid to show ur interest in this project..but as i have alredy mentioned that this is my final project..n i havent yet finished my survey n research...i would surly let u know the progress..

regards..

though i wud still love to get some more feedback or points or whatever u guys feel like having in ur fridge..

Guest BHARTIYA

what if i move my selves in the refrigerator round and round..rotate them...like on their axis..but the shape wud become a cylendrical instead of a cuboid...well, does that help..??

hope to see some progress..:)

I was at the Electrolux design studio and one guy told us their best selling fridge in india was the one that could play "jingle bells" when you pressed a button. Totaly pointless, still.. Also that people had the refrigirators in the living room instead of the kitchen.. sorta like showing it off for the guests. You might what to think about that when you design (i have no idea if it's true, that's what the designer told us)

Guest Rulf

Abhishek, i think you are looking at your project from the wrong way and i also think youve already desided for yourself that you fridge will have a scanner of some sort.

Important is that you need to take the whole aspect of users in view. Then try to find a trend in what happens with the different

user groups in the near future (in western europe the elderly population is growing because of the baby-boom after WWII).

I think you are using ego-design (what do I want/like/see).

I also agree with that i should be fairly simple, try to design a new fridge instead of adding 'new, cool' features.

Now to give some of my ideas :(

- I also think the different temperature area's is a good idea (they already us it in wine storage cabinets)

- Why do you always have that door that you need to open, isnt there a solution for that?

- Cleaning a fridge is hell, anybody can tell you that (self cleaning? smart bacteria? i dont know :()

- A complete modulair setup would be handy, every thing will fit in there

- Combine the modulair with the outside (color changes with the outside temperature :S)

- Also combine function or energy with other appliances in the kitchen

- Does the fridge need to stand in the kitchen? (computers get more disigned to fit in the living room better )

- uhm, that was it for now :P

I hope this will help you

Guest kaiza

really quick reply (gotta run), sorry if this has already been mentioned

there is cooling that is created through magnetic fields, as opposed to current technologies, its actually quite old tehnology - i suggest you look into it

Guest abhishek

well...who wants new cool tech n features in the ref..hardly..sorry guys for not responding for so long...i just came back to my table a few days back from my USER-SURVEY..well a long and haed few weeks were these..okay so here what users want in their refrigerator...SPACE...trust me(and them) adding hell lot of another cool featureswouldnt help much..it remains to the point of showing off only..as engio has pointed out..its a bit true actually, the showing off thing. but the m,ain problem here in india one doesnt have a huge kitchen..it is generally a narrow and long one instead of a well designed kitchen..so people generally keep it outside within a well reach of their activity related to kitchen..

the main problem area is how to make one manage the given space in refrigerator..the no. of shelves inside..the hight, the width..n here goes the freezer in the fridge..its almost 30% of the entire volume of the ref..and if one is VEG in india, this space is generally wasted of him/heer..though they keep dry fruits, powders and other dry stuff. so they wouldnt get insacts in them. but non-veg guys loved the freezer..they want even bigger..(quite confusing..)..humid, weather and other condition also plays a role when one buy fridge here..

so,after this survey..i shall be focusing on the basic needs..instead of adding those comps n cool features...haha..and thanks a lot guys for help..

ll be back soon with some progress...

keep bumpin with ur suggestions...

attaching a common refrigerator and a freezer in mumbai...

Guest dexan

I believe that the refrigerator is situatet mostly at the top because all the cool air falls down to cill the rest of the container. Placing it at the bottom will inquire the existance of a second cooling source... My opinion