Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest abhishek

Refrigerator Of Future

Guest abhishek

dear friends,

hi.i am an industrial designer from india. i am doing my final project in which the brief given to me is to design a new refrigerator for the near future. actually the company i am doing my project with, wants a entire new kind of machine. the form and the function also, it just have to stand out on its own in the market.

i would be really grateful to you guys if i get some posetive feedback on what would you like to see in your refrigerator and how do you weant it to operate. any suggetion would be welcome and appreciated.

regards

abhishek

Guest Daymyth

Well lots of space no wasted space... adjustable selfing easily done so... everything is clear so you can see where all the food is... small shelfing compartments like normal...

I guess in the future all will have lcd screen and will scan food for you and order it for you depending...

Autmotically adjusting temprature depending on food and where its located the user would of course have to input certian data

A place for drinks that stay nicely chilled ( a drink chiller as well)

Freezer definately at the bottom as it doesnt really get used that much... ice cude trays that slip in and out easily or maybe ice cube dispenser... err thats all i can think of off hte top of my head

Guest abhishek

hey thanks Daymyth..

i was kind of looking fwd to this kind of response. yes you r right, in future ref should be having all lcd control(to be clear a computer control).should tell u abt the kind of food inside and all.what if i add a bar code scanner inside which keeps blasting the beam inside to let you know the condition of your can food.the expiry date n all.n maintain temp for them.

somehow i m not convinced with the logic that we dont often use freezer.looking at the new range of fridges, u see one ice crushing there,which gives u ice of your choice to mix with your drinks. what about veg-tray,just tyhe opposite reason.

hope to get some kick ass replies and help. guys help...

regards...

Guest hamid

Hey,

as soon as I started reading your discussion about this subject, first thing came to my mind as a futuristic

and new aspect was the "intelligent control" on the expiry date of canned food, but when I came to underneath

the page I saw that you already have thought abt it...

right now just as a small proposal, I suggest adding another function to this, let's call it

"Intelligent control system", and that is the ability to control the amount of food in the refrigerator and inform you about it with a list or scheme of the food which has been stored in it.

By this function, every time you want to go to the supermarket for shopping, you already know what you have

or what you don't have in you refrigerator.

Maybe, to be more advanced, with a small printer , Just like the one which is used in the cashier to print the

receipt, it can give you a shopping list, before going to supermarket....

Guest abhishek

thanks for replying hamid...

well this idea of yours helped me thinking in a new direction.while i am saying ref for future and having net n comp in this...why shouldnt it transfer those data to my cell through bluetooth. or should i say i can keep myself attached to my ref all the time to know what i dont have in my house n go n buy that from malls and all.that is done by internet.

what you say...

looking fwd to more bright ideas...

regards..

Guest newkillerstar

energy saving

-shut off the sections you are not currently using

battery backup

-keeps food fresh even when the power is out

Guest superbad

Battery backup is a great idea. Scanning barcodes isn't. Do you really want to scan all your food every time you take it in and out of the fridge? That technology has been available for at least 10 years, and the fact that nobody uses it proves that nobody wants it. I don't really want a computer on my fridge either. Nor do I want my fridge ordering food for me. I want my food to be kept at the right temperature (different foods need to be kept at different temps ideally), and I want it to be easily accessible and visible. I want the fridge not to hog energy. If the fridge can control ethelyne offgassing from produce and keep it fresh longer, I might be interested in that.

A linux powered, Bluetooth equipped, LCD screened fridge would be an abyssmal failure in the marketplace. Normal people don't want that level of complexity in their lives. They don't want to reboot the fridge, or debug its wifi settings. Keep it simple.

Guest rodanx86

I actually agree with Superbad, but I would say that it is becuase it is easy to think about "technological features" as solutions to design problems as apposed to form and function solutions.

Here is a link to get you started thinking about the actual problems associated with fridges:

http://webfridgeproject.blogspot.com/ (sorry, some of the pictures aren't working)

Hopefully, by studying these habits of everyday fridge users, some innovative solutions wil become apparent.

For example, what if the fridge was actually a collection of many smaller fridges that fit together like legos , but have a specific task--like a crisper or a six-pack holder, or something like that. The end usere could buy only the components they want, so they have a fully customizable fridge.

Maybe its a fridge that has many smaller doors that is designed for convenience stores.Like, one door per shelf.

Maybe its as simple as a drink dispenser for college dorms....

You get the picture.

Guest abhishek

Thanks superbad..

Well, I actually wasn’t thinking of scanning food every time one takes in and out..It just functions once in a day while the door is shut n collect the data n transfer it to your cell or PDA or whtever.

And ordering food was only to download the recipe from the net of what all you have left in the ref. So basically it’s your choice (or shall I say our choice, referring the intelligent ref as a friend-nokia888..??) ..mmm ethylene offgassing..sounds pretty interesting. I ll keep this in mind..

thanks man for taking interest…

and rodanx86..thanks a ton man for givine me that link..i owe you a big time...:)

Guest newkillerstar

scanning is soooooo analoge. if we're doing blue sky, lets do blue sky

what we need is the Gfridge. Google powered. Get this.

-you open the door to put the groceries away and tap a button on the door. Say aloud as you put the items away "cabbage, ham, butter, salad dressing, pork chops.... mmmm, pork chops", and so on...

-Gfridge databases these items (cycled every 3wks or so) and delivers recipie search results based on those items. Would most likely have targeted text adds as well.

-also red flags items that may be spoiling soon - based on the item and how long its been there.

also see this fridge

Guest helman

Well said Superbad,

The less tech the better in my opinion.

A fridge keeps things cold - if you want the design to stand out in the marketplace just make it do that. I also agree with superbad that you should try to make a fridge that does not overconsume energy - perhaps you'd like to design a fridge that doesn't use any energy at all...

What about a fridge that just keeps food at a cool 4 degrees and nothing else...hmm

I don't think it should have interchangeable front panels to suit the users decore. It should not have a screen. It should not be connected to any type of network. It should not communicate with me in any way - it's a fridge, I don't normally communicate with my white goods and I am not about to start now. If I could, I would choose not to have ugly boxes in my kitchen at all...

Guest abhishek

hey helman...

r nt this the reason why we product designer r there..to make life more beautiful..??like u said-"If I could, I would choose not to have ugly boxes in my kitchen at all..." dude..dont u think...its not ugly anymore..and designers take the pride for this..isnt it. n while talkin abt adding value..i just wanted to make our daily fast life more comfortable in the morning when one get in to the kitchen....see why do we need a cam, an mp3, inbox, bluetooth n all other goodies in my cell..isnt it only to communicate..i hope i make any sense here..

any feedback is welcome ..n thanks for the idea of makin ref not using power atall..i guess its cool concept.:)

Guest Rsn8

I love the idea of the cold water/ice machine, and above that, all I want is a fridge that keeps me from losing leftovers and other stuff that gets pushed to the back. Maybe it could be circular and all the shelves could be lazy susans. If all the shelves were like turntables, or had a central pivot point, you would be able to find everything pretty easily.

Or maybe I should clean out the fridge more often...

Guest abhishek

there u go Rsn8...

to keep using leftovers..or to say not to miss those thin,i wanted something like a scanner which tells you which can is goin to expire in recent future..or say theers something kept in that shelve for a long time.n gets u the rcipe on that particular item...

what u say..thanks man..n i m too lazy to keep cleanin my ref often..:)

Guest Design Chick
dear friends,

hi.i am an industrial designer from india. i am doing my final project in which the brief given to me is to design a new refrigerator for the near future. actually the company i am doing my project with, wants a entire new kind of machine. the form and the function also, it just have to stand out on its own in the market.

i would be really grateful to you guys if i get some posetive feedback on what would you like to see in your refrigerator and how do you weant it to operate. any suggetion would be welcome and appreciated.

regards

abhishek

i cant see your fridge. im new and not sure where to find the image.