Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Artrage 2

artrage2.jpg

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

Two Versions.

ArtRage 2.0 comes in two versions, a Free Edition and a Full Edition. The Free Edition contains all of the features of ArtRage 1, along with the speed enhancements and tablet support of ArtRage 2. We’ve also included some new features such as canvas rotation. ArtRage 2 Full Edition comes with all of the features above.

Compare features:

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artragecompare.html

Seems like a very affordable alternative to Sketchbook Pro or perhaps even Painter :) It even has a canvas that you can rotate in realtime like Painter!

Wow! I was chuckling the whole time! Very nice! The free version is what I was hoping Alias Sketch Tools would be.

Very pleasant! I hope it is stable. But I cant imagine it not being so because of the small size. Very good. I think I will buy it. 20USD-that is a steal.

It's pretty much the slickest thing I've ever worked with :)

I've yet to try it out for more than a few minutes but it sure looks promising, and yeah, $20,-... that's practically giving it away.

Guest nate

cheers Renzsu

thats gold, looks great - think i will buy a copy too - so cheap!!!!

where did you find out about it?

nate

I saw it on CGTalk in the news forum, I always thought of it as some open source software, like The Gimp.. not quite cutting it compared to the big guns you know what I mean? Never gave it much notice before to be honest.

Guest Dmjones

That software is very promising. I think I need the full version to get the line quality im after but its surely looking like a big step ahead from sketchbook pro (as much as I like it) and its pretty quick. Importing and exporting in and out of psd is much better than ASBP, and its got rotate canvas, and its $US20 - ohh yeah. Anyone got the full version and checked line quality and usefulness for design?

Guest nate

went over to cgtalk -

theres alot of good talk about it - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php...11&page=1&pp=15

chriswhite

" Man, I am so impressed with version 2, well worth the money. I've never had a program that you could learn in half-an-hour yet have enough power to do high-end work with it, which ArtRage certainly feels capable of. The other thing I like is that it's the first program that really feels like I'm using traditional media with it, granted, I haven't used Painter much, but for the price it's amazing. I find myself already excited to what they'll do with it in the future, I'd love to see what they could do with watercolors or pastels. Five stars for sure! "

i'm off to buy it

$20 :)

cheers

nate

Guest almunro

are you able to change the layer modes in the full version? like in painter or photoshop eg 'multiply' etc???

Alex

No- you can change only the opacity. Still very nice feeling though. There are some definite limitations. However I could see a Painter replacement if you combined with Photoshop.

Guest rodanx86

Do I just have a slow Video Card, or does the canvas jump and jitter as you rotate it around?

Guest nate

i sent an email off to the guys asking what there future plans etc are with the product, concerning price and upgrades etc

" Plans for the future are developing at the moment. While we have a few major feature additions we want to do we're just deciding which order to do them in and how best to present them to avoid overcomplicating the application. Prices are also not determined for those. I suspect we'll be releasing a pretty major update free and after that considering what we do. We'd like to keep the price as low as possible to make sure it's as accessible as possible. "

- Matt Fox-Wilson

sounds good

cheers

nate

Guest Dmjones

I get the jumpy rotate too - not sure whats going on there, my graphics card isn't great though either- Im kind of just happy that it does it at all.

To answer my own earlier question - yes it can do very nice soft pencil lines - the key it to set the paper type to "cell" (available in full version so youll have to get your wallet out to get that feature)

Using the glitter pen under a paint layer enables quite controlled texturing of surfaces

Guest shane
To answer my own earlier question - yes it can do very nice soft pencil lines - the key it to set the paper type to "cell" (available in full version so youll have to get your wallet out to get that feature)

Using the glitter pen under a paint layer enables quite controlled texturing of surfaces

good stuff. that was my hesitation about buying it. didn't like the pencil, and small brushes were too harsh.

Yeah- I think the pencils are great, but the Airbrush is not broad enough. I still have not messed with it too much.