Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest snugja

Snugja

Guest snugja

So basically when I do a sketch page, I try to think of a few things.

1) what is the focus of the page? (main idea/form)

So here's where you want to take a step back and think of the proportion/size of the main object on the page. I try to have one or two things that are a little oversized so that it draws your eye to it forst. You can kick this up with color, shade, details like texture, parting lines etc, and also by using a dynamic perspective. Three point tends to hit home more than a two point perspective. Oh yeah, and remember - line weight is key

You want to keep your lines loose and fresh and vibrant on the paper. draw faster.

2) what is the necessary information? (details details details)

remember to add things like text or callouts for materials function etc to the sketch. It'll opull the viewer in more this way than just a page with little or no pertinent text. sometimes dummy text or scribbling will even work for this.

3) what is the best perspective to show it in?

again, think of how the opject is viewed most of the time by the viewer. for examply, you don't want to sketch a fridge in a top down view. think of the typical perpspective that a fridge is seen from. Same thing goies for a PDA or what not.

4) does it need a background of some sort to "pop" it off?

If the page isn't singin just yet, throw in a background with a complementary color to contrast and pop the object off even more. THis will draw even more attention to the page.

Of course, do all these things in moderation and sketch and practice alot.

Didn't have time for a step by step, but perhaps another day. . . .

demoxo4.jpg

Guest zack

man, i love your sketches. You have a great eye for design and an even better drawing ability. How much time do you spend drawing every day?

Guest snugja

less lately, but I try to finish a 150 page sketchbook every 3 months or so in addition to my coursework and side work.

I was worried for a while you weren't going to post much more stuff on here, but I'm sure with the semester ending and everything there was lots to do.

That last sketch page is a perfect example of how to do really amazing compositions with really simple forms.

I'll need to see what we can do to try and set up some kind of "Sketch guidance" thread since so many people post the same types of questions on here.

Guest snugja

i use pilot razorpoints and hi-tec 0.5 mm pens. for the thick outline a sharpie.

Guest tokes99
So basically when I do a sketch page, I try to think of a few things.

1) what is the focus of the page? (main idea/form)

So here's where you want to take a step back and think of the proportion/size of the main object on the page. I try to have one or two things that are a little oversized so that it draws your eye to it forst. You can kick this up with color, shade, details like texture, parting lines etc, and also by using a dynamic perspective. Three point tends to hit home more than a two point perspective. Oh yeah, and remember - line weight is key

You want to keep your lines loose and fresh and vibrant on the paper. draw faster.

2) what is the necessary information? (details details details)

remember to add things like text or callouts for materials function etc to the sketch. It'll opull the viewer in more this way than just a page with little or no pertinent text. sometimes dummy text or scribbling will even work for this.

3) what is the best perspective to show it in?

again, think of how the opject is viewed most of the time by the viewer. for examply, you don't want to sketch a fridge in a top down view. think of the typical perpspective that a fridge is seen from. Same thing goies for a PDA or what not.

4) does it need a background of some sort to "pop" it off?

If the page isn't singin just yet, throw in a background with a complementary color to contrast and pop the object off even more. THis will draw even more attention to the page.

Of course, do all these things in moderation and sketch and practice alot.

Didn't have time for a step by step, but perhaps another day. . . .

demoxo4.jpg

very good points, however i find the last part of #2 to be oddly true...

Guest snugja

yeah it is funny, but true. when one thinks there is something of value to read that is associated with the sketch, it becomes more interesting to look at.