Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest snugja

Snugja

Guest menappi

man snugja ur the sheit, one question, what program are u sketching/rendering all these in? painter? if painter, im wondering if you ever use the snap to path to get a line right? im using sketchbook but it shard rotating my tablet and so i have a hard time getting certain lines right, especially round shapes, i usually have to do them in like 3 pieces, but it looks choppy. any advice?

Guest snugja

I use painter IX.5. I've tried the snap to path thing, but it doesn't work well for me. takes too long to set up the curves. so I just keep it "sketchy". If I want super tight curves I'll use illustrator and then apply brushes to the paths to make them more expressive.

As far as tips go if ur using painter, some people like to mess with brush tracking under preferences, but I think the #1 thing is to just relax while ur doing it and draw with your shoulder to get smoother curves etc. Keep practicing and it'll come.

Take a break sometimes and get back to paper too. it helps.

oh yeah for some i used alias studiopaint. pretty much same principles and still no snap to path/curve.

Guest DOHboy

Hey Sugnia,

Its been a while since i have checked this thread and your work is inspirational as ever.

I was wondering before you start a sketch do you close your eyes and visualise the picture? if not what do you do before you even pic up the pen/pencil?

Cheers

DOHboy

Guest snugja

hehe no I don't close my eyes. i do lots of rough stuff too. Maybe I should post it so you all can see how much I suck. :-)

I do try to visualize as I go but I try not to hesitate when sketching. It takes the life out of things.

Guest anand raj

wanted to know, when you start sketching a car from which part do you start first?

waiting for the post containing some rough work...

love your sketches!!

Guest design8a

how do you apply your color to your sketches? what fundamentals do you use, or how do you go about, and on another note how do you do layers on your coloring thru painter? you have really good sketches and color technique. hope you can give me some insight and some good direction.

Guest snugja

hmmm this is a complicated question but I try to keep my linework on the top layer. I block in shadows, reflections, then use a large airbrush to give tone to the whole thing. mmm with cars I work with warmer color in front and cool towards the back.

1)block in shadows and wheels

2)apply general color reflections

3)add tone

4)highlights - pigeonpoop (the white stuff)

parel has a good demo on it. I work pretty much the same. . . follow the link

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=226

Guest john-john

Really good Snugja , i like your product touch in automotive design!! It's very interesting to see how different you approach this topic!

Cool stuff

john-john

Guest r.schmidt

snugia, you def have a strong presence on this forum of late. I really enjoy your drawing style, as you can just see the exploration of the idea unfolding in front of you. Props man.

Oh and painter's great isn't it?