Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest hemi427

Help Touch Twin Markers ?

Guest Cid008

that's the one i use, it's not the best one, but they are half the price of pantone here in Canada (139.00$ for that boxset (101.68 EUR) )

Guest hemi427

So Y think thats better way is to save some money and buy copic or pantone?...Which one are better?...right now Im using letraset (but not pantone)...And i think there are not really good...Im afraid that pantone could by

the same think (same company) but a lT have to extra paid for the name : "PANTONE" :)....Maybe someone of Y guys can tell me whats the best?

thnx

Guest ScottieB

I personally would go Pantone or Copic markers. They don't smell quite so powerful either :)

Guest menappi

why dont u get some prismacolors? everyone keep stalkin about copic , pantone, etc. has anyone heard of prismacolor? inthe us its what i see a lot of people using. they are fairly cheap also.

Guest hemi427

I was thinking about prismacolor...does anybody used one of those before?...So We have 4 things:

PRISMACOLOR

COPIC

TOUCH TWIN

PANTONE

this is for everybody: please share your opinion about each one of those.I think thats important topic cause everybody use them.Lets make some compare:)

sorry for bad english...

Prismacolors are pretty much a standard in the US. They're nice, good nibs. I just prefer the tria's because you save money being able to refill them and the triple nib is nice. The paint on the labels suck though, your sweat will rub the color off so you won't know what color marker it is. Best to use some clear glossy tape and cover the color name as soon as you get it (tria markers). But I love them, the only ones I'll get now. After trias, then I'll go to prismacolors if it's a color I don't use much and won't have to worry about refilling.

Guest Dmjones

Here in NZ they tria's cost about $11 each, wayyyy too much for something that students rarely use and they dry up in your kit. Waste of money. I recommend my students to get a small range of very budget markers - letraset's promarkers ($5 ea). They do the job for sketching and building a bit of tone etc, but if you need a promo render why not do it digitally? Prismacolours and copic not avaliable here.

$11, ouch! I just recommend them because I only use 2 values but I use them a lot, so the ability to refill them is really good. Anything more and I'll go to photoshop. I'm surprised that isn't standard now, you can't beat not having to buy markers, only printing ink you would need anyway. I think once tablet pc's are more affordable, markers might start going the way of nupastels and the digital sketching thing will really be mainstream.

Guest kaiza

skinny - i agree that digital will eventually completely replace ink, but i think that nice quality laserprinting would defeintely cost a lot more, whatever your currency is, one A3 print is half the price of a marker....

Guest john-john

the best markers are the shart pack however it isn't very precise so it must be used if you draw very well or to color big areas.

I've boought some touch markers and in addition with some shart pack it is doing a good job. touch = copic it's exactly the same the only thing changing is the price

Guest 00designer

Markers

With regards to some of the discussion going on here about markers, I thought I'd add some thoughts - for what they're worth.

Pantone tria - probably the easiest to get hold of. Alcohol based so they aren't so fumey but they last about two minutes and cost a fortune. Colours tend to not be as strong as others like the Chartpak. They work nicely on the Letraset marker pads but the paper is v absorbent and they quickly run out. Tria have three nibs - broad, medium and fine; which is v useful. However, the fine nib is not that great and tends to die quite early on.

Copic (http://www.copicmarker.com/) - a popular pen, especially in the UK as a cheaper alternative to the Tria pens. Good quality, alcohol based. I'm not too sure about performance myself. Made in Japan by 'Too'.

Chartpak (http://www.chartpak.com/) - this is the choice of most car design studios. Made in the US. The Chartpak markers are solvent based so they smell stronger than others. The colours are great - much more vivid than some of the alternatives and they come with tonnes of ink. They're disposable and quite a bit cheaper than pens like Tria. They only have one nib - but it's quite versatile and with a bit of experience, you'll get used to the broader nib. Most Chartpak users, like myself, like to keep older pens so you can mix new and old in a drawing to get the best control of ink. They work really well on Letraset marker pads and last much longer than Tria. You can also do lots of fun things with lighter fluid and blender pens.

(I get mine from refuelled.com - they seem to be pretty good.)

Touch Twin Markers - these come from Korea and are basically a cheaper alternative to the Copic marker. One broad nib and one medium nib, these pens are also alcohol based. They are probably the cheapest professional markers on the market and are still fairly new. A range of 170 colours, you can also get blenders and refills too. I'm really starting to get into these. Again, I get mine from Refuelled in case anyone's after them (http://www.refuelled.com/touch-twin-marker...copic-c-34.html).

HTH.