Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DGA

Ceci n'est pas un portfolio

Guest «AD»

Well, I hope renzsu and waikit forgive me for cross-posting, but after all the link to my portfolio belongs in this subforum.

My Portfolio

This portfolio contains not too many drawings- and I would definitely NOT use them for an application at a university, because...well, until I apply to the university the drawings you see there right now will be outdated and lil AD will be very very ashamed of having rendered so badly when he was still young. :D

comments are welcome...

ad

Well I really like those bmw sketches, especially the one below the bmw text. The car on the bottom sketches is pretty funky as well, looks cool!

Now what I would try to do is when you have your sketches like that, just flip the paper or put a new paper on top, and try tracing them. When you do that, try to use just one line for each line you want to trace. Keep your wrist fixed and just move your arm from the elbow or shoulder. Try ghosting your line and then hit the paper and put the line down in one go. It doesn't matter if it goes wrong a bit, just go to the next line. Try practicing this by just putting down some dots on your paper and hitting a line between those dots, you can keep the distance pretty short, just 5 cm. If you practice drawing like that it will really improve your line quality.

I will see if I can scan some of my practise sheets that I sometimes make to warm up before sketching (got this all from a gnomon dvd btw, our school doesn't really teach this way of sketching :D )

Guest «AD»

okay, thanks for that tip!

When I draw a sketch, it's one really messy sketch, and when I look at those sketches I did the last few months, I don't know what happened :D

It's just that when I draw, I can imagine everything pretty good, and my hand just tries to keep up with my mind, letting the sketch get messy.

Now, with the first messy sketch being completed, and IF I like it, I already flip the paper, and do the whole thing again, cleaned up- relatively.

This second version most of the time looks way better, this version is the one which is scanned- it's still dirty. With the BMW 3/4 rear view I did the same, yet I already KNEW how the car would look like, and the primary sketch on the other side of the paper already was pretty ok- when I traced it, I tried not to define the shapes with several lines, but I tried to do it with one stroke ( correct word?). Well, the result is a pretty clean sketch, I gotta say that.

So, that's the way I do it- but well, sometimes I just sketch the hell out of an idea, and there's no time for tracing ;)

Another problem is, that sometimes I've got a certain configuration of lines in mind, and I just put them on the paper, making a car out of them- now, in order to keep this configuration, I just flip the paper, the traced version of the lines is a totally different car ( not a supersport car but a sedan / something like that), and it's still pretty sketchy. Tracing this last sketch is pretty hard, I mean, theoretically, for improved line work I could use the windows, but they're not really...suitable for tracing jobs as they're vertical...but still, I know during sketching, that somewhen the next 30some minutes, there'll be a design I'm happy with, and so I sketch on, flipping the pages on an on- until I'm happy with the outcome.

Though, sometimes I move back to a previous dirty sketch and clean it up with an eraser, cos the design lost its dynamic elements...

lol- quite an essay

Guest abhinav

Hi aumann !

gud work.. specially the view angles are worked out pretty well. BMW ones are really nice.

thanx renszu for the sketching uidelines. i'll really try it the way u suggested. for me, rendering in pencils is not that difficult, but i m really 'colouofobic' as far as rendering is concerned. i seriously need tips on that.

a b h i n a v

Guest «AD»

Same with me, I hate rendering in colors, but lately I tried to do it in PS and I'm relatively happy with the results...

Guest «AD»

Counting Crows- Colorblind :)

lol...Well, I tried to marker-render in chameaux/beige- only one color....the result was not so good, that's why I tried PS-rendering, and I think I'll stick to that :)