Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bklyngrrl

Where Do I Start?

Guest bklyngrrl

First...this is a great forum, I'm glad I came upon it in my web search ;)

Now on to the topic...

I am not a product designer, I'm more into idea creation/generation. I have a few ideas mulling around my head, and I want to move on them, problem is I don't really know where to start, so I thought I would reach out for guidance.

What should be my first step? How do I ensure rights to my ideas? Patents? If so, I know that patent creation requires sketches, etc. and I can't even draw a stick figure well. Is patent creation even the first step? Should I partner with a seasoned Product Designer? What are the typical costs?

What are some resouces online or otherwise that I can tap to help me at this stage?

Any and all guidance would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

My advice would be to find a good product designer you can trust and talk to him/her to even see that your idea is marketable. Honestly everyone has great ideas, but at the end of the day it takes a serious set of skills and marketing paramaters to make an idea into reality.

On research for you, take a look at some marketing books, go to the US patent office to do research, and perhaps buy some product development books to help you start somewhere.

Good luck!

Guest superbad

I would second that. The idea is the easy part. It's the execution that matters. I would also recommend the book "How to Break Into Product Design" as a good starting point. And don't worry too much about patents, especially early on. Unless you have deep enough pockets to defend one, it's not going to be much use. If someone wants to copy your idea bad enough, they will. Unless of course your idea is something really important, like a cure for cancer, in which case, get the patent.

Guest newkillerstar

first thing you need is demand - your product needs a market. Someone has to buy it.

second thing you need is startup capital - CASH. Unless you can partner with a design firm... some specialize in bringing this kind of stuff to market. At the end of the day, you still need money. Its impossible to speculate costs as there are many of variables that will play into that. I've seen a local inventor with a fairly simple product go to market and his expenses were a few hundred thousand. I've also seen the plastic tooling for a singe product run $20K (in china). Many variables.

third thing may be a patent - is your product patentable? is there something novel about it and more importantly something novel that someone else hasn't already patented? You're going to need to do at least a basic patent search to make sure you're not infringing, otherwise you'll be infront of the judge pleading ignorance. And a patent search has nothing to do with what is on the market now. If someone patented your concept 10yrs ago and never produced it, then you're still hosed. If you've past the first 2 steps and really want to make a go of this, then it would be worth your time to consult a good patent attorney.

Not trying to scare you off, but people rarely realize what is involved in this process

best of luck