Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MR-A

Make Your Own Clay Box

Guest MR-A

Ok, for those who are playing with Chavant modeling clay and doesn’t have oven to preheat the clay...

Back at school when I had to build my car model we came up with this idea of making our own “oven” to warm up clay.

post-4533-1140239150.jpg

The beauty of this heat-box in its simplicity, it requires only one 60W light bulb. Plus, you can take it home or your studio with you. You’re not going to believe, but when I was working, the temperature inside the closed box was getting close to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. You have to be careful as to how low you want your light bulb to be. If you make it to low, clay will burn.

Materials:

1. ½ inch thick plywood (amount of wood you have to calculate based on the box size you want)

2. 1 inch thick pink or blue Styrofoam

3. Pair of hinges

4. 10 feet of electric cord

5. Plug

6. Light bulb socket

7. Screws

8. Aluminum baking tray

You have to decide how the box is going to open and how you are going to get the clay out. I found convenient

for the top wall to open, I saw one guy had it open at the bottom from the side. So it is really up to you. You could also buy a little thermometer and place it inside in order to control the temperature. Remember once you over heat the clay, you are screwed. Please be careful.

I hope that this is useful tip.

Guest MR-A
Yeah great tip, thanks :)

Just to be sure I would keep some water closeby though.

You’re very welcome!!! :)

Why would you need to have the water, to drink? (just kiddin)

In our studio we had some eight or nine heaters like that and no one ever had any problems.

Normally, I or my buddy would come to our studio at 4 am to turn the light on and leave. By 6 am clay would

be ready for sculpting. It is by far much safer and more economical than conventional clay oven.

If you build it right (using your head), I assure you there is going to be no problem whatsoever.

Guest Kiwi_Roly

Great tip, you just saved me a beating from my wife for messing up our oven again, lol.

You could always have it woking on a on a timer

Guest Grom

Hey! Great tip! im from argentina, and I have a Design Blog in spanish.

May I traslate your post and publish in my blog for my partners?

Of course with the appropriations, and web link.

Guest MR-A
Hey! Great tip! im from argentina, and I have a Design Blog in spanish.

May I traslate your post and publish in my blog for my partners?

Of course with the appropriations, and web link.

I don't mind, as long as moderators are fine. I don't see that why they would oppose it....

I think it wouild be better to use acrylic material to make such boxes ,where you also instal one Light ,very beautiful and nice .

If any one have interest , i can send one acrylic box for your reference ,i think you must like it . :-)

Kindest Regards ,

Judeon

Yakri Craftwork Co.,ltd

Nice concept.Have you make it real one?

If"the temperature inside the closed box was getting close to 140 degrees Fahrenheit",do not choose acrylic material. :(