Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marra

Designers Websites... Are They Designed Well?

Guest Marra

Name and shame any designers who you believe have websites that just dont work and are incredibly confusing, ever searching for that artistic merit that is always lost on an 'information' media format.

Ron Arad and Tom Dixon are the biggest culprits, where there icons jump or move all round the screen.

I guess they really dont need the extra following that the internet may provide.

So does anyone else have these maddening experiences?

I'll agree theres a large number of websites, both design related and just in general that go so overboard on creating this incredible flash driven animation that all function you would actually want on the site is virtually gone. Even if visually the site is fantastic, and you can tell there was a huge amount of time and effort put into the artwork, they can be so difficult to navigate and find what you're looking for it destroys the point.

Guest superbad

Good topic. I can't count how many designers' sites I've looked at that have been poorly designed, and how few have nice simple standards-based sites. For some reason there is an unholy love of Flash among designers. Good Flash sites are very rare. And even the good ones suck, if only for the reason that they disable the Back button. I use the Back button a lot, and I don't want to be tied to whatever stupid navigation scheme some propellerhead has come up with.

Mostly you see lots of mystery meat, clunky navigation, tiny pictures, crap flying around the screen, tedious animations, boring splash screens, etc. Or music! That's just what people want on a furniture design website, someone's crappy music- especially when they are browsing at work. Ironic that people who by definition should know better choose to disappear up their own ass instead.

We should start a manifesto.

I do not want:

1) Music or sound effects

2) Animations

3) To have to click on or mouseover dozens of thumbnails to find what I am looking for

4) To read your "mission statement" or some other nonsense on a splash screen before you graciously allow me to look at your site

Who's in?

Guest GYOKO

whats wrong having a little music on your site? i actually think that it can improve the overall impression if the music is chosen well... actually if it is a loop of some kind.. as long as you have the option with or without sound.

i wasn't thinking about the turkish designers web site, with the cop shooting the girl dragging the chair out... that's crap.

Typically if I'm going to a site its for info. If I wanted to hear music I'd put on my mp3 player.

The ambient techno and cool sound effects everytime I click can be fun for a minute, but if I'm browsing quickly often times that becomes this clumped up mess of sound effects. BLEEP BLEEP BLOOP BLEEP BLOOP

Guest superbad

Do books play music when you open them? Apart from the fact that it's irritating and unnecessary, you ever browse at work? The last thing I want is some crap website announcing to the rest of the office that I'm not working.

I frequently have lots of tabs open at once, so all the music overlapping each other turns to complete garbage. Very disturbing. Then you can't tell which of your 10 tabs is the one with the music on so you can close it.

Guest GYOKO

fair enough! you all have made your point! I wanted to hear your reasons.

anyway, I listen to music all the time when I am working, and I also get anoyed when music from a web site is overlaping with the one that I am listening right now, but I dont think that its terrible bad.. then again, I am working from home mostly.

I also had some really bad experience in the office when I opened one site, and alarm bell started on maximum sound from the speakers... i wished to strangle the guy who did that web site... especially because my boss was really near, and I was supposed to be working and not browsing.

Guest GYOKO

hahaha! good one!

I was working in London when that happend ;))))) I wish they had that rule there...

Guest Ro881e

i love the okaydave website, its awesome. But there are definately some real shockers about!

Have a look at my site, what do u reckon?

Rob.

I concur regarding the okaydave website. The video complemented the information, and presented information that wouldnt have impacted the same as text.

His commentary could have been better, and so could have the music choices and cut scenes, but I think that is a matter of personal aesthetics. I am not sure that I am black and white on the music, but in general I have only seen crappy implementations of animations and music. The problem is that you are only as strong as the weakest link you present. If you have a good project with a crappy presentation, you will be remembered for the crappy presentation. Better to present your strengths.

However all the previos examples are really good examples of wacko information design.

What about Karim Rashid website?

http://www.karimrashid.com/

it has a row of icons that play a musical note when your muose goes over it. It adds interactive in the website which people can play with when they get bored. Do you think that you as a viewer of his website will remember his website clearly becuase of this? " hey isn't that the website with the musical notes thing that you can play with?"

Yes you can argue that it does not reflect his job as a product designer, but Karim Rashid is not just a product designer. He is too a musican. :)

What are you guys view on this?

JooL