Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Sketch Challenge 13: Travel Case, February-april 2006

Thanks to member yuen2035 for his luggage/suitcase suggestion.

post-2120-1128282817.jpg

Try to draw your designs from different perspectives.

Check out the related topic: http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=2647

And some theory about perspectives at: http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Drawing...son1/index.html

Have fun!

Guest Thathertz

well then bike couriers carry cargo as they travel around the city, I guess it could be a carry-on as well.

part of my portfolio thread

post-3640-1139648222.gif

Guest Thathertz

Nice sketches! Good to see some of your marker work since , i know you're an ace with veri-thins.

Halocooter:

That could make for an interesting bag. A few things though:

-In the open view you have the buckles coming out of the webbing on the bottom of the bag. Normally a no-no because the plastic buckles will get really scratched up being on that bottom surface. You could have them coming out of binding that frames the front view to get them off of that bottom.

-You should flip the zipper on your flap (for the carry handle). Have it accessable from the outside so you can open it, then pull out the handle. The way yours is, you'd have to remember to open it to be able to access the handle while the bag is open, when it isn't very apparent that you'd need it. For example, you're carrying it with the shoulder strap and the flap zipper is closed like normal. Now you decide to switch to briefcase carry mode with the handles. You'd have to unbuckle the flap and unzip it from the inside to be able to get to that carry handle. Switch which side it's on, then it'll also be a cool "hidden zipper" detail look.

-The pen holders on the inside are a little off, unless they're AA battery holders. The ones that match the body color are good, maybe too long though. But the black ones don't have any space to put anything in short of batteries, a pen would then be poking into the pockets on that panel.

Aside from some details, nice effort. I do think it could be turned into a very nice looking bag with the right material choices. A big thing with bags are the details, stitching also. Will you have a matching stitch on the body binding or contrast? Same with the webbing. A body matching stitch on the black webbing will have a very different look than black on black. That will make a big difference.

thanks for all the great comments. this is actually a concept i did for a undisclosed shoe manufacturer, drawn to their specs...this was the first and final sketch i did for them and they ran with it from there, unfortunately , i'd love to have worked it further! darn clients getting in the way of creativity! thanks again!

Guest thomas0753

Fun Sketch Topic, Halocooter - Your Sketches remind me of Duluth Trading Company. They have an awesome catalog that every product for sale in it is a rendered fineliner Sketch Like that with markers. Awesome! keep them coming. http://www.duluthtrading.com/ Here is a quick one that can be a upright roller or a wagon style for multiple bags or Children.

post-338-1142133412.jpg

Guest A-train

That website rocks, @#$@#$ they are good, of course they start with a real picture as an underlay. I like old school

A.

Guest thomas0753

For them to take the time to create an entire catalog that way though is awesome!

thomas0753 those are sweet sketches - i need a wacom tablet! good observation - i used to work for the company that owned duluth trading, but under the bucketboss brand - similar product. the watercolor renderings in the duluth trading catalog are a great resource for drawing softsided products for and one who needs a reference. keep on sketching.

Guest lepain

Hey, Im Ewoud.

These sketchgroups are great. Ive been looking through the results of older sketchgroups and its going to be hard to keep up to the standard here.

Ive been having some fun sketching travel cases. CnC welcome!

travelcase7wk.jpg

Thathertz> nicely communicated sketch. love that bottom rendering!

halocooter> great sketches with nice detailing. definitely like your style

thomas0753 > that perspective view is odd, looks like it is tilted. maybe you should have add a shadow to show it is standing on the ground with 2 wheels

martinpix > i would make that lip/flap half open to communicate that 'flipable'. the corner form invites me to look under that corner. what's beneath?

lepain > nice ones. only the top right ellipse is odd

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.