Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pint

Illustrator Tutorial, anyone?

Guest pint

Hi,

In addition to the photoshop/paint tutorials( which are great!), anyone up for chairing ideas/writing a tutorial on how to trace a photograph/image in Illustrator?

links also welcome!

..For instance, I would like to trace a hand, from a photo with hand and model. To copy the going style of many designers, I then want to fill the hand with a solid color, in order to get that cool, illustrated look for my story-board.

Im reading in illustrator books that the pen tool is the best way to trace images, as I then will have control over the curves, to make them smooth and nice. Is this the best war to trace images, and make illustrator paths, or perhaps anyone know some good quality short-cuts?

Hope this is best place for this inquery/

Cheers

Guest --fff--

It's the best way cause you have the best control as possible on it, a hand is pretty simple, well, it depends the level of detail you're looking for, just use the pen, then play qith ctrl and tab to switch between the black and white arrow, and alt when you're rolling over a point so that you can act on the curve direction ( the alt thiing works when you are using the pen as your "default" tool )

Otherwise just use photoshop, push the levels to get a black hand on a white background, use the wizard selection stick stuff ( don't even the right name in english sorry... ) then just convert your selection as a path in photoshop, so that you can have the hand size you want, or, import the picture in illustrator and use the trace tool.

Hope you understood... use the pen :D

Guest Aphasia

The best guide that I have ever come accross for converting images into vector is

Lemon's Vector Guide - Ver 2.5

It's pretty straight forward when you know the basics.

There is a program which can do it too - Adobe Streamline, although i couldnt get it to work very well..

Nice link Aphasia, moved this thread to the tutorials section so that people looking for this will have an easier time finding it.

Guest Aphasia

It's not my tutorial.

There are thousands of tutorials around the web, and this guy is one of the few within the DeviantArt community (dunno if any of you know it?) and there are alot of people who respect his talent.

Yes it's a weird community!!!

Guest pint

Thaks guys,

- these kind of down-to-the point tutorials and tips are great shortcuts for creating illustrations, more than plowing through the user manuals of photoshop and Illustrator just to find one or two pages on tracing techniques?..

cheers :D