Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Tim_meh

Xbox 360 Exhibition

This was one of my recent projects I did. The exhibition was for the release of Microsofts Xbox 360 and allow the public to try out the new console. So the exhibition is dedicated to allowing people to play the range of games that were released with the unit when it first hit the stores. The first slides were two preliminary concepts, which one than had to be further developed.

post-2519-1139384392.jpg

2nd Concept

Final Design in Block Model Form

Solidworks Showing Design

Console Station

Console Construction

Console Construction

Merchandise Table

There are about 30 slides in the whole powerpoint presentation showing construction, design etc...

Would like to see what people think of it? If there is anything missing and you want to see it, I will happily upload the image

post-2519-1139384514.jpg

post-2519-1139384592.jpg

post-2519-1139384671.jpg

post-2519-1139384749.jpg

post-2519-1139384794.jpg

post-2519-1139384849.jpg

post-2519-1139384903.jpg

Nice stuff, but from your model my first impression is that it could get pretty PACKed if there are people crowding around a booth.

Have you done a workspace and traffic flow analysis?

The brief specified how many consoles, games and light boxes I had to have in the design. I passed that with flying colours in designing something that allows sufficient numbers fit into the area.

Before settling on the final design, traffic flow and workspace was heavily considered. Each booth takes care of the gamers as the distance between the user, the speakers and the television are in harmony. I than worked out the spacing between each booth and areas that there are likely to be clusters of people and ensured there was more than enough room to fit people around. It took me quite a few different positionings to come up with this final floor plan which fulfilled the traffic flow. This was demonstrated by positioning of men in solidworks models as well as acrylic men I lasercut in the block model. To give an idea of area, the floor is 15m x 12m.

Thank You For the Question, as this is an area of Design I am looking at getting into and try to make sure every aspect of consideration is taken account for.

Guest newkillerstar

Definately improved since the B&O 'puter.

I didn't like the green disks above the stations on the kiosk at first, but I kinda dig them now. Would be cool for usability if they lit up when no one was using it. That would make it easier to find an open console.

Nice stuff. May be cool also to see a first person perspective of the room - get a better idea as for user experience.

This kind of work is not easy and definately a different animal from designing say the xbox console. I've seen entire classes of Interior designers who couldn't layout a space this well, while making it visually interesting.

Thanks for the kind words newkillerstar. I was happy with this project and showed it to a professional in this area the other day who was impressed by the work.

I did a cinema 4D walkthru of the exhibition as I already had the 3d model which made it a bit easier, so that pretty much gave the first person perspective of the room..

I like the idea of having the 'green discks' lighting up when nobody was using it, would become very effective in finding spare consoles where there are a lot of people around.

Im hoping to get into this area of work, so I am always looking to improve existing design work..your comments will help greatly..keep them coming