Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Guest ron66

Industrial Design Skills

Guest ron66

A-Line,

You are actually very right, maybe I have to change this subject "Industrial Design Skill" into "How to Survive in Industrial Design".

This is very serious.

I dunno about IDSA but in Holland the BNO is very disappointing in making the industry more professional, Design Agencies also lack profesionalism (most of them) and the Studies also trow out loads of designers all for hardly enough jobs to keep the current Designers @ work. This makes the Design Industry very vulnerable for Offshoring Design to low wages countries. Still I am very sure Integral Design is very important for a succesfull product creation proces but Designers need to start thinking as entrepeneurs.

Something has to change.

Just mt 2cts worth opinion............

Cheers, Ron

Guest amoncur

I was hoping someone would mention an understanding of manufacturing. A good industrial designer will have a reasonable understanding of core manufacturing processes, so that what he or she designs can actually be built in the real world.

Guest Donald Smith

In my past job I was working with some Spinning mill and I was part of the team working on Enterprise Resource Planning. At start we thought to go through with ASP.net to complete the project but with the passage of time we concluded not to go over web and should implement it with desktop applications.

Any one working with some industry should completely understand the process flow that how it will be implemented and what will be done on the user end even they are web designer, developer or some one else.

The better way to understand the process is to visit the site to implement it successfully.

I have been in the design business a while and if I could offer an inexperienced designer one bit of advice it is one word PRAGMATISM one thing that all truly good designs have in commom is pragmatism. Study the the juicer from Stark. It is actually an essay in pragmatism and organic (and I do not mean the form, it is the process) vessel underneath, arm easy to hold, kink in the leg to stop the juice running down the arm, three arms (it can never wobble like if it had four legs)absolutly nothing frivolous Dont do anything until you have identified the problems and solve them in level of priority. Avoid assumptions on aesthetics. Build the device (Fly the plane) based on the laws of the universe and the aesthetic will appear with complete integrity. Integrity is everything!

There are lots of crap designers out there. Become a good designer not an easy task but this cannot happen with empty slick rendering. It is all about the process.

Think I got carried away, but trust me there is gold in them there word,s but not an easy concept to get across.

Have fun, cheers