Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rusty2084

Clever Mechanism Needed

Guest rusty2084

hi i need some serious help...this probelm has been racking my brain for some time now......basically as seen in the diagram (sorry it was extremly rushed) I need some sort of mechanism that can allow the lid to arc on its own once the user has slid it a couple of inches...any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Guest almunro

okay heres my quick solution... its a bracket thingy that allows the rotation once it has been moved back... the second set of images are as cross sections through the middle of the side bracket....

11py2.jpg

28yn.jpg

32rw.jpg

the cross sections....

113gb.jpg

212yf1.jpg

312jm.jpg

im sure with a littl emore thinkin it could be made better. hope this helps....

Alex

Guest rusty2084

Alex, I would just like to thank you for your super fast reply, it has helped me loads.....If anyone has any further ideas, that would be great..

thanks again alex

Guest desecrator

a much quicker & simpler & more basic solution...just add a protrusion on the lower (black) box, and a slider (green) on the top (red) box.

post-4361-1137843684.jpg

Guest rusty2084

again thank you for your idea....the other problem that i face however is that once the user has slid the lid...some sort of 'kinetic' needs to take over and and automatically arc the lid

Guest desecrator

well...i think the sliding force would be enough to lift the lid (rather, slide it up along the arc). just try it out. cheers :beer:

Guest Timind

Surely it won't arc on its own unless you put some sort of spring into it - the weight in front of the pivot point is far greater than the weight behind it. Maybe you could modify almunro's design toinclude a coil spring acting on the lid?

Guest rusty2084

hey guys thanks for the replies...actually my first inspiration was from the pebl by moto.

this is where i have got to with the mechanism...the sketch is very basic