Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Sketch Challenge 05: Gas Mask

This week there's something in the air... gas that is..

Try to sketch a gas mask, it doesn't have to be a full face covering mask, it can just cover mouth/nose, it doesn't really matter. Perhaps cool to try to make it a bit less intimidating to look at, or, if that's your cup of tea, make it even more scary to look at..

It needs to have a filter obviously, it's up to you whether you hide it or not, you'll need to take into acount that it needs some space of course, and that it needs holes for the air to pass through.

For the sketch you can just sketch the mask, would be cool if you can find a picture that you can sketch over.

Have fun, I'm sure you'll come up with something cool!

Guest «AD»

well, here's my first thought..

maybe I'll try something more high-tech though

gasmask3.jpg

here goes my second thought:

gasmask2.jpg

Guest «AD»

yep...this last pic is actually years old...

there was this time when I designed high-tech-helmets...lol...the idea was, that there's night vision, thermal vision, zoom-by-iris, and all that stuff...

here's one I did when I was trying to convert the gasmask from Half Life 2 into something more easy to model in rhinoceros for a rapid prototyping elective at university..

I ended up ditching the idea to model a gasmask hehe

gasmask.jpg

Guest «AD»

ah- now I know what gas mask was circulating in my brain! HL²....

Guest yeddeync

Nice thoughts guys. Good quick sketches too.

AD- To make your First Sketch more clear and understandable, a simple glare or reflection on the Face Shield may reveal the surface texture better. Cool ideas.

Renz- The area below the eyes is a little confusing because it is so Dark. Also, a few light lines could be used on the Right edge of the mask (next to the highlight) to convey a more Rounded surface. Good use of lighting to create contrast between the surfaces.

Guest «AD»

thanks yeddeync, I'll try to color it anyhow :)

ok, edited...didn't color it, though, and still not sure on how to really make sure it's glass..

Guest retrokitsch

Nice sketches AD and Renzsu.

Renzsu-> I think your mask is good, with the crazy round shape.

AD-> I prefer your first idea.

I tried to make a scary mask inspirated by a human bones head, a thing which makes everybody a little bit afraid... lol

And, especially, I tried a new render to insist of the "fear": a blue light on the left, which suggest the moonlight (the night=fear), and on the right an orange light which suggest a fire=war. I think that's not bad, and thats very easy to sketch, because the main part is dark grey (background)!

gas_helmet.jpg

Very nice, looks like you had fun making that. I like how the filter points backwards, makes it more 'airodynamic'.. Somehow I get to think about those diving rebreathers.. aren't they similar to this somehow?

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.