Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thathertz

Finally An Updated Portfolio

Guest chappo81

i think its looking good. you are showing your process and from what you tell us thats what they want.

a couple of questions/suggestions

Are you going to be presenting the portfolio or do you send it in? reason being if your there with it and presenting it I don't think you need all the text to describe each project.

Try changing the Project Title from a solid black to a gray (Namssorg suggested this earlier). It makes it a lot easier to read, possible try it with the same grey your using for you outline.

Finally. make sure you sketches etc aren't just dropped on to the page. work from left to right/top to bottom space them out if you need to.

looking good anyways.

when do you have to send it in?

Guest Thathertz
Are you going to be presenting the portfolio or do you send it in? reason being if your there with it and presenting it I don't think you need all the text to describe each project.

I have to send it in, so I need some text to do the talking for me. We used to have interviews, it's to bad the got rid of them since I now have taken classes with the entire ID faculty at the school. oh well. I'd have some text to do the talking for me.

Try changing the Project Title from a solid black to a gray (Namssorg suggested this earlier). It makes it a lot easier to read, possible try it with the same grey your using for you outline.

yeah i think thats probably a good idea. I am gogin to print a few out and see how they look then proabbly do some revisions from their. Black/whist is a bit contrasty to look at.

quote]Finally. make sure you sketches etc aren't just dropped on to the page. work from left to right/top to bottom space them out if you need to.

aah organizing sketches is a pain. I know a few of them are pretty sloppy.

It's all due on the moring of the 17th. Can't belive how long it has taken to get it all togather, hopfully ir will go well. This is my last try, and it's back to geography.

OOOkay and here is the latest, its a bit thin on ideation, but i figured it was worse to trech crappy content

post-3640-1139289300.gif

Guest chappo81

just had another look at your initial post,

you mentioned mind maps etc... where are they? there good to show your process.

If you now these teachers and think that might help. Show them before you send it in so they recognise it, also why not put your name in acroos the bottom or something so its a constant reminder of who's work there looking at...

Guest Thathertz

Mind Maps and furthuer detialed sketches and ideation will be presented in a "process book" that will have more indepth research for each drawing. For example the bicycle and Hydrofomr project each have over 50 pages pf drawings that support them. For most projects presentedd here i have at least of 5 pages fp drawings / notes /mind-maps to support them.

Name will definatley go on the bottom.

Will have to post a .pdf of the finished portfolio when it's completed...

I also have to include an inventroy list, Resume,Gesture drawings (quick figure drawings), and 3-5 long pose figure drawins.... So heres my filling out of the life drawing requirements... well some of them.

Thanks for the great feedback.

-

post-3640-1139301474.gif

Guest jburns

hi there.

Your Drift Bowl page looks pretty good to me.

After reviewing tons portfolios and resumes on my last search to fill a Jr. ID position I would say to keep it simple and easy to read. We received over 300 portfolios in 2 weeks. I reviewed each one, trying to give them the time they deserved but it's difficult. Each portfolio got about 2 minutes tops. A page like the Drift Bowl is easy for me to understand in 30sec, shows process and skills and lets me know who you are.

I would suggest you put your name and contact on each page as well. We passed pages around the office and not all made it back to my desk.

I hope this helps.

Guest Ro881e

Nice job, they look pretty sweet! But watchout for the "auto-hyphenation", some of the words look a little odd.

Guest newkillerstar

Hey dude! you're gettin' it. And look at that white space!

I especially like the Vulcan project - very nice. Not sure I understand the Wym lamp. But what you now have overall is something showable, clear and easy on the eyes. Always look to tweak, adjust, fine-tune. And always, always look to add a little bit of your own personality or flare.

Guest Thathertz

Jburns - Thanks for the pro-advice!

Ro881e - Auto hyphen sucks, I haven't started to edit the text yet but you're right that has to go.

N.K.S - I agree the Wym lamp is looks a bit more like the WHAT ? lamp. The compression killed the image quality, so its impossible to tell what things are. The pictures are of different possible arrangements of the lamps components --different lamps. It is a modular lighting system, the building blocks are suppled and you make the lamp from the pieces. and yes I am now bathing in white space.

Thanks again for all the great feedback... I'm in the midst of some of the more complicated boards --hopefully i will have them up within the next few days.

Guest Thathertz

this is the review of my portfolio from last year. Ouch. Especially on the Conceptual developement score. I am an A student in every I.D. academic/theory class i ahve taken (3 so far), I guess i just need to communicate it better in my portfolio.

notebook and skectches I'm not worried about. I've got that nailed down tight, I havea huge and pretty respectable "process" book to present.

Kind of bitter, but thats whats been driving me, aside from my passion for I.D.

It's do or die this year.

post-3640-1139646089.gif

Guest Thathertz

my most recent project.... cardboard mock up later this week and sewn by the end of the semester!!

i figured puttining a work in progress in might be good -and these are some of the best sketches I have done to date.

post-3640-1139650735.gif

Guest Thathertz

bbah almost done layouts, then on to editing and the written response. Gross. I'm tired.

post-3640-1139710264.gif

Guest Thathertz

I have to admit this one is a total steamer. Unfortunatley this is filler -although i think it has a place since it shows a different ideation process -that of using mind-maps -webs -whatever you choose to call them.

and its all life drawing from here.

post-3640-1139720308.gif

Guest Thathertz

im required to have 5 long poses of life drawing and i think about 7-10 gesture drawings showing the structure of the figure...so here's what i have. I'm not really an expert at this

more

post-3640-1139720985.gif

post-3640-1139721184.gif