Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thathertz

Finally An Updated Portfolio

Guest Thathertz

NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW

FINALLY!!

--years later my finished portfolio. Focus is mostly on cycling products and accessories since that's where my interest is. available as a pdf here

Thanks for any feedback!

So much of my portfolio is complete and just needs some editing (text spelling colours and arranging content a bit better) I could use some help though I have to many pieces -I'm only supposed to have 10-15. What should I scrap?? heh. I know but the life drawing is a requirement.

I have recently added more content to the bottom of this thread (of course :)) as of 12/2/06.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback so far. You're insights have greatly helped -I hope its reflected in my work.

Hey all!

I am applying for I.D. and was just looking for a bit of layout advice for my portfolio. I plan to present it as about 20 tabloid sized sheets in a portfolio case. Some pages will be a double spread to show process work on more indpeth projects (the school really emphasizes Process).

This is a layout I am currently considering -this is a short project so the process for it was quite brief. still trying to incorporate process/ mind maps, and ideation sketches, project parameters and a brief outline of my goals with the project.

If their is anything missing or if the layout is just too unclear please let me know...any insight would be great.

Thanks!

post-3640-1137286559.gif

Guest Thathertz

any one? Don't worry about offending me. I've been rejected from my schools I.D. program twice now, I need all the help I can get!!!

Guest Ro881e

U might try using a more organised layout grid, as some of the photos seem a little disorganised. Line up edges, and text, keep it simple. Look at magazines or websites and see how they set pages out. I found it very helpful, and its amazing the difference it can make!. R

Guest helman

Hello Thathertz,

You wrote that (the school really emphasizes Process). The image you show here has a few sketches and 7 photographs. You could probably use just one photograph because they are all very similar and try to incorporate more of the things you talk about in your post (mindmaps, sketches, briefs etc.).

Remember that you are trying to communicate the most relevant information that demonstrates your skills - this does not mean that you have to completely fill up the page with stuff.

Are you sure that the folio is the problem with your application? Perhaps it is some other aspect of your application that is not appropriate - you could try to get some feedback from the school about why they did not accept you.

Just remember you are not trying to sell the things that you have designed - you are trying to demonstrate that you are talented in the aspects of industrial design.

Good Luck

Guest newkillerstar

solid advice guys

Remember that you are trying to communicate the most relevant information that demonstrates your skills - this does not mean that you have to completely fill up the page with stuff.

White space! Revel in the white space.

and if its process they want, then lets give it to them! research, inspiration, Sketches, 2D work, 3D CAD, renderings, Prototypes, product. 3 sketches and 7 photos is not process. How many photos to show? however many describe the object. Start with none and go forward. One will suffice in most cases, and each additional should show something new and relevant.

less is more

great persistance tho. If this is your dream and your calling then don't let them stop you.

Guest chappo81

absolutly agree with newkillerstar.

if they want process show them process. you have images of the lamp from very similar directions, ie there is 3 from almost straight on.

maybe try switching it, so using the larger area for your sketches/process and using the smaller one for your renders etc

Guest Namssorg

One thing I've always found helpful is changing my text color to a very dark gray instead of pure black. It's just a little less harsh on the eyes, and it usually looks much better.

Also.. I'm sure other people have said this (or you already know it) It's nice to see consistancy of some sort from page to page. I've seen portfolios where each pages "tailors" itself to the particular project, but sometimes that can go too far.

I've always had luck thinking of my portfolio as a product catalogue (which, in a way, it kind of is.)

So some bits are a little different, but overall it works as a whole.

Guest Thathertz

Thanks, guys. Some time in later this week hopefully i should have soemthing new to post. I'm thinking of working of golden section porportions. I think consistancy is the key sonce i have very little time to throw it togather.

to fill out the process requirements I'm incuding process books -basically a collection of skethces and research, and form finding for each project so far I ahve two coompleted -each is about 50 pages.

What about seperate sections of the portfolio for say Model making, Sketching, Rendering, Semantics ? Would headings such as theese be appropriate for pages?

..and here is a link to my previouse portfolio. Here It was clean -organized, but not a winner. Note total lack of process -although i did include a sketch book full of ideas.

so more about potential content for my portfolio on this thread.. sketches renders ect.

thanks for all the help, I assure you it is quite valued.

Guest chappo81

I think you need to decide how your going to present it

Namssorg brought up a good point, you need consitancy in between pages. this way the only thing to change (other than headings) is the work. the viewer doesn't have to search for details on the page becasue after the first page they know where it is.

for me the best layout has been project by project and show all of them in the same order.

ie

Project 1

Sketching Concepts and Exploration of Ideas

Semantics studies, usability tests etc (ie your giving yourself a evaluation criteria to pick one of the previous concepts)

Final Concept and Rendering

CAD

Model making Photos, and take the model as well if its a face to face interview

Then Porject 2 would be the same

the number of pages for each part doesn't matter just aslong as they have the same layout.

I don't mind the layout...I think the far left hand side is quite effective, but you do have far too many pictures of the design that could be defined in 2 images cause of the symmetry in the design. It looks that you can sketch very well, show that off with some pencil sketches, couple rendered sketches thru to renderings and final 3d model/block model.

I agree with the other comments on the page, consistency is important in the layout. Makes it look like time and effort was put into having a professional layout rather than a random assortment of pages.

Best of Luck!

Guest Thathertz

okay this is what I'm goging with so far. Might be a bit stark but it think it hammers home the process part. For most projects (including this one, just not posted) i have also included an ideation page full of sketches.

Thanks for the help.

This is a chair I have stated to model, but ran out of time because i needed to focus on my portflio, I've decided to include it as a work in progress.

P.S. spelling, grammer and text in board is unedited, just serving as a place holder.

and another few following the same general layout.

post-3640-1139096486.gif

post-3640-1139096757.gif

post-3640-1139097013.gif