Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest claessen-id

Wacom Car Rendering Try-out

Guest retfareve

huge huge improvement on classen id's rendering!! its funny to see what a bit of contrast and the right perspective can do to a drawing, jumps right off the page now

classen id, your renderings are ok, but even though you might not mind spending 3 hours on them, your boss may when you get out in the "real world."

also watch your reflections, theres some wacky stuff going on there

Guest claessen-id

Hi. retfareve .. the aim with my renderings is not to achieve some kind of superealistic stuff but just what is happening in your brain.. you see that is something wrong but can't realy tell what.. if a rendering (of a conceptual product) is perfect some people are afraid to give remarks on the concept because it already looks superb.... (the reflection on the big window should be on the other side, onother thing is that in this way the whole product would be devided into one very big black part and two small light colored ones)

you might have a point with the three hour thing.. but then.. i've worked on illustrations for a brochure of a new product and my boss at that time was happy to spend a big pile of money on good renderings.

but ok not every company has such wacky managers..

Guest retfareve

classen id not really 100% sure what your trying to say, but i was just trying to tell you what was wrong with the rendering as far as i could see so that you can improve next time. I wasnt saying that they should be super-realistic, but if you put the reflections and highlights in the right area and have correct perspective you can make it look much, much better with minimal effort.

Guest claessen-id

ow sorry I was refering to the Segway things .. not the car.. the car isn't that good.... I agree

Guest retfareve

Yea well ive got nothing positive to say about the Segway thing either. You spent 3 hours and get that result?? Wot a joke. Thats an insult to the guys who write the Design Sketching book.

OK OK So your digital renderings arent that ummm fab, but then your marker skills arent either. I suggest for you to go back to you desk, sit down and practice practice practice. Then come back and post soething worth posting.

I know your young, but soetimes in life you need a kick up the ass to realise just what level your at.

But i can see your determined, and you can do what you want as long as you put your mind to it.

Guest chappo81

hey does anyone know of some tuts for using a tablet, jsut got one and am having trouble working out the best way to use it

Guest retfareve

chap, i think the best way is to just practice, practice, practice, then practice some more... I know it feels awkward at first, but if you just keep doodling you will get the hang of it.

also dont concentrate on renderings too much to begin with, just work on getting your linework nice and tight.

Guest aman_s1ngh
So the short daylight gets to ya huh? I'll be right there with ya, in a couple weeks I leave for a study abroad in Halmstad, Sweden for 8 months. Guess I better savor the midwestern daylight while i'm here.

Ok. onto the crit. I saw your top post and started to write a reply but figured it would be easier to explain if I just drew what I was talking about (hope you don't mind). So here it goes:

1.) Window line needs to drop down to be in line with the perspective line.

2.) The front bumper was one of the biggest problems, it basically needed to be rotated downward so that it meshed with the bottom of the side.

3&4) The left headlight and more bumper need to be shown, also the tire needs to be moved respectively to the bumper.

5&6) The greenhouse was really short, and I'm sure you're just trying to show a highbeltline, yet I think it would have to be just a little taller to be believable.

7.) This might just be mre, but the headlight seemed like it was on the side of the car not the front, maybe you were trying to show a wide front on the car/suv so I just ended up pulling it toward the grill to tighten it up a little and to hint at the front fasicia form.

8&9) This is a bit nit-picky but the reflections in order to be believable need to hint at the form *and* stay with the perspective (as illustrated by 9)

**Ellipses for wheels needed to be brought into perspective. There are a lot of great tutorials on how to draw an ellipse in perspective. I think www.drawthrough.com has one even.

So, after that stuff I went ahead and did a quick render (similar to what you did...maybe 2 hours) of what I was talking about above in Photoshop CS using a couple paths and just an airbrush,etc. Some general things I changed were increasing the contrast of the painting by trying to make a little more of a core to the shape of the car and then tried to make a focus to the painting by fading out the back and sides. It seemed like in your original you were trying to make the focus on the front, so I tried to just hint at the wheels (wheels seem to steal the spotlight quickly).

Overall, great effort, keep 'em coming!

did u use a wacom to do that